ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-08, 01:56 PM
Jr Member

daviansmom is on a distinguished road
Re: non-drug treatment success stories please!

Has anyone ever tried hair analysis? I just ordered the kit for Davian. Although the ADD-vantage is helping, as I said he is much more compliant, he is still having trouble staying focused. Here is a quote from their site "This hair test for toxins can show if toxic heavy metals have accumulated in the body. Some of the metals which cause toxicity are mercury, chlorine, iron, aluminum, arsenic, copper, lead, cadmium and nickel. Surprisingly, heavy metal toxicity isn't uncommon. It can also lead to a variety of debilitating symptoms. Toxic metals tend to cause havoc to the nervous system. "
I have tried so many other things, but I really feel this is my last hope. Maybe somebody can give feedback?
Old 05-11-08, 06:28 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,402 Times in 6,116 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So next we tried eliminating all fruit and juice from her diet, since her daddy has some fruit allergies.
~Underlining mine~

I would have begun by eliminating the fruits the father was allergic to.

Judging by your post this was only for a short time.

Coolness - we have citric acid allergies run in our family so badly mom wouldn't give us any thing with citrus until we were like four or five then it was very small amounts. Half of us kids have citric acid allergies - enough to where we can have problem breathing.

Myself if I were looking to restrict diets with my kids

I would consult with a registered Dietitian or nutritionist before eliminating whole food groups from a growing child's diet any length of time longer than a week for young children {toddlers} two for older ones {grade school}

Quote:
And most of us drink 2%, 1% or skim anyway.
Once again I am a minority. I won't touch these at all - I want my milk to come with the creamy parts - otherwise it is white watery stuff not fit for consumption {this house hold.}

Quote:
Milk is only fortified with vitamin D, that was my point actually – you can get just as much vitamin D in Sunny Delight as you can in Milk.

Well you could try the sun!!

Quote:
What I found was this, there is big difference in the nutrient vitamin A in whole milk and skimmed milk. When the fat is removed, it still retains most of its nutrients but some are lessoned quite a bit. Removing fat works the opposite with calcium. In fact, skimmed cow's milk contains slightly more calcium than full-fat milk because calcium is found in the watery part, not the creamy part.

huh?

Modified milks explained
There are many types of modified milks on the market, including:

* Full cream – full cream milk contains around four per cent fat and is a source of vitamins A and D. For children up to the age of two years, full cream milk is recommended.
* Reduced fat – expect around half as much fat in reduced fat milk as full cream. Children over the age of two years can drink reduced fat milk.
* Skim milk – contains less than one per cent fat. Children older than five years can safely consume skim milk. Both reduced fat and skim milk have vitamin A and D added to replace the naturally occurring vitamins that are reduced when the fat is removed.
* Calcium enriched – generally, milks that are enriched with extra calcium are also fat reduced. A 250ml glass of milk contains 420–450mg of calcium.
* Flavoured – these milks can either be full cream or reduced fat. However, most varieties contain a lot of sugar.
* UHT (ultra-high temperature-treated) milk – allows milk to be stored for long periods.

{End Quote}

Quote:
As for dairy free? My Naturopathic hates dairy – milk mainly. He believes 90% of humans have allergies to it. He explained that symptoms as mild are mucus in the throat from milk is an allergic reaction.
Actually ones genetic origins have a lot to do with this. Some groups of people are more likely to have difficulties with milk {and other lactose} than others. For example people of Hispanic origin are more likely to have a lactose intolerance than some one who is from northern European origin.

Source documentation

So our tendency to use inaccurate terminology doesn't get us all catywhompus please see the definition of intolerance and allergy below. This is standard and accurate.

Food allergy can be inherited

Children who have one family member with allergic diseases (including asthma or eczema) have a 20-40 per cent higher risk of developing allergy. If there are two or more family members with allergic diseases, the risk increases to 50-80 per cent.

Allergy is an immune response
Allergies are an overreaction of the body’s immune system to a specific part of a food, usually a protein. These proteins may be from foods, pollens, house dust, animal hair or moulds. They are called allergens. The word ‘allergy’ means that the immune system has responded to a harmless substance as if it were toxic.

Food intolerance is a chemical reaction
Food intolerance is a ‘chemical’ reaction that some people have after eating or drinking some foods; it is not an immune response. Food intolerance has been associated with asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Food intolerance is much more common than food allergy.

{End Quote}

Quote:
I thought I would comment on this from the Naturopatic perspective.
Here is another neuropathic perspective

The Health Benefits Of Raw Milk From Grass-Fed Animals

Raw milk remained a mainstay of my diet. Since 1981 I have strongly recommended raw milk to thousands of people who have seen me in my practice as a naturopathic physician.
{End Quote}

So for those who are seeing this type of practitioner, have access to safe raw milk and enjoy milk it may be worth asking about ???

Quote:
Well I don't claim to be a Milk conesore
Did some one accuse you of this? Is there such a thing? Hmm off topic - sorry

Once again I am confused and confounded by some ones response out of the blue -

I think we are simply sharing information about ADD treatment approaches that are not drug related and are successful. Presenting post claiming all milk as bad or some thing like 90% of the human population is allergic to does generate ideas worthy of enough consideration to do a little research on .

I am sharing my results for consideration - nothing more nothing less. Every thing posted here is for information balancing purposes only. I am not looking to debate the issue {not here any way.}

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

Last edited by meadd823; 05-11-08 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: wording sucked
Old 05-11-08, 07:38 AM
Super Meowaderator

meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
his hair test for toxins can show if toxic heavy metals have accumulated in the body. Some of the metals which cause toxicity are mercury, chlorine, iron, aluminum, arsenic, copper, lead, cadmium and nickel. Surprisingly, heavy metal toxicity isn't uncommon. It can also lead to a variety of debilitating symptoms. Toxic metals tend to cause havoc to the nervous system. "
I know they can do drug testing via hair samples and have been sense the mid-1990's.

I have heard of testing for poisons using hair samples - so yes the hair is a good source of many testings however I am unable to find any information about the accuracy of home based collection kits. I would pay special attention to collection procedures and handling instructions - these are area most commonly sited for inaccuracies /inconclusive results in the clinical version of this specimen collecting.

Have you tried any movement based therapy’s ?

Therapeutic Eurythmy—movement therapy for children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): a pilot study

Be smart, exercise your heart: exercise effects on brain and cognition

"Spark"
Dr. John Ratey
Page 160

Every one agrees that exercise boost levels of dopamine and norepinephrine. And one of the intracelluar effects of these neurotransmitters, according to Yale University neurobiologist Amy Arnsten, in an improvement in the prefrontal cortex's signal to noise ratio. She found that norepinephrine boosts the signal quality of the synaptic transmission, while dopamine decreases the noise or static of undirected neuron chatter by preventing the receiving cell from processing irrelevant signals.

{End Quote}

My definition of ADD was rooted in this man's work - ADD the inability to consciously control the direction of focus or length of attention span. It is almost as if our brains have a mind of it's own.

{"Spark" continued}

page 151

It's not simply a matter of weather or not the signals get through to capture our attention but how fluidly that information travels. This is where the attention system ties in with movement and thus exercise ; the area that control physical movement also control the flow of information

{End Quote}

If you haven't engaged your child and your self in some regular exercise to combat his attentional problem then you haven't tried all natural approaches . .. mild top moderate ADD in my opinion can be treated by routine regular exercise done during strategic parts of the daily routine. aerobic exercise along with some exercise requiring Coordination

Martial art forms are good sources of routine exercise with the necessary variations and it probably doesn't cost much more than all of these other treatments.

I was hyperactive in the womb - back when I was growing up there was no such thing as ADD - I was just labeled every thing from retarded to defiant. Instead of trying to force me to be some thing I wasn't mom decided to work with who I was -I was Little Miss bouncy butt so she made structured times for me to bounce.

She did almost entirely eliminate processed sugars, but a lot of that was due to my hypoglycemia. Dyes and persertives were mostly in junk food back during the ice ages when I was growing up. If the coloring stained my mouth I wasn't allowed to eat it. According to her food shouldn't stain the mouth like a paint. Despite her dietary manipulation and my lack of it as a young adult my ADHD has remained pretty steady though out my life {getting some what worse with hormonal fluctuations of premenopause another thread another time} remained I was still hyperactive ADD. So the dietary thing never really fit my experiences of successful non-pharmaceutical ADD management.

After school before homework I was given time to run around and play. After church before resteraunt I was given time to run all that energy out. She engaged my high level of activity by having me help her do stuff when I was a young child as an older one I was signed up in gym classes, swimming, basket ball - she couldn't reduce my energy level and in all honesty healthy children are active children - so she channeled my energy in productive directions.

I had struggles in the first couple of grades in school as much of those struggles were due to my dyslexia as it was due to my hyperactivity. Latter grades proved to be easier. By the end of elementary school I was at functioning about average. By the time I was in high school my dyslexia was fully compensated for - I sailed past them.

Only creatures that move have brains - huge clue we weren't designed to sit and think - mankind was designed to move about. Even inattentive children can benefit from exercise just as well as hyperactive ones . Exercise levels out our brain's neurotransmitters and encourage the brain to grown new cells.

When I was finally diagnosed at 29 not only did I manage to avoid many of the problems other folks who didn't get diagnosed until adulthood I had already obtained my nursing license.

The only successful non-medication ADD treatment I have ever personally experienced both as an ADDer myself and a parent of ADD children is regular physical exercise. If you haven't tried it I mean really tried it then you haven't tried every thing non-pharmaceutical {IMHO}

Last edited by meadd823; 05-11-08 at 07:48 AM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (05-11-08), momtoLandW (12-04-09), ozchris (05-11-08), Sandy4957 (05-13-08), scarygreengiant (05-11-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-08, 10:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Question: are dairy products fairly inexpensive in the USA?

Phaedrus

Old 05-11-08, 11:36 PM
Super Meowaderator

Quote:
Question: are dairy products fairly inexpensive in the USA?
I don't think so . . it is cheaper than soy. It easier to come by in most areas then goats milk. I know some use goats milk because they feel it is better for them in the food intolerance department.

The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (05-11-08)
Old 05-12-08, 12:05 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Codykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
~Underlining mine~

I would have begun by eliminating the fruits the father was allergic to.

Judging by your post this was only for a short time.

Coolness - we have citric acid allergies run in our family so badly mom wouldn't give us any thing with citrus until we were like four or five then it was very small amounts. Half of us kids have citric acid allergies - enough to where we can have problem breathing.

Myself if I were looking to restrict diets with my kids

I would consult with a registered Dietitian or nutritionist before eliminating whole food groups from a growing child's diet any length of time longer than a week for young children {toddlers} two for older ones {grade school}

Once again I am a minority. I won't touch these at all - I want my milk to come with the creamy parts - otherwise it is white watery stuff not fit for consumption {this house hold.}

Well you could try the sun!!

huh?

Modified milks explained
There are many types of modified milks on the market, including:

* Full cream – full cream milk contains around four per cent fat and is a source of vitamins A and D. For children up to the age of two years, full cream milk is recommended.
* Reduced fat – expect around half as much fat in reduced fat milk as full cream. Children over the age of two years can drink reduced fat milk.
* Skim milk – contains less than one per cent fat. Children older than five years can safely consume skim milk. Both reduced fat and skim milk have vitamin A and D added to replace the naturally occurring vitamins that are reduced when the fat is removed.
* Calcium enriched – generally, milks that are enriched with extra calcium are also fat reduced. A 250ml glass of milk contains 420–450mg of calcium.
* Flavoured – these milks can either be full cream or reduced fat. However, most varieties contain a lot of sugar.
* UHT (ultra-high temperature-treated) milk – allows milk to be stored for long periods.

{End Quote}

Actually ones genetic origins have a lot to do with this. Some groups of people are more likely to have difficulties with milk {and other lactose} than others. For example people of Hispanic origin are more likely to have a lactose intolerance than some one who is from northern European origin.

Source documentation

So our tendency to use inaccurate terminology doesn't get us all catywhompus please see the definition of intolerance and allergy below. This is standard and accurate.

Food allergy can be inherited

Children who have one family member with allergic diseases (including asthma or eczema) have a 20-40 per cent higher risk of developing allergy. If there are two or more family members with allergic diseases, the risk increases to 50-80 per cent.

Allergy is an immune response
Allergies are an overreaction of the body’s immune system to a specific part of a food, usually a protein. These proteins may be from foods, pollens, house dust, animal hair or moulds. They are called allergens. The word ‘allergy’ means that the immune system has responded to a harmless substance as if it were toxic.

Food intolerance is a chemical reaction
Food intolerance is a ‘chemical’ reaction that some people have after eating or drinking some foods; it is not an immune response. Food intolerance has been associated with asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Food intolerance is much more common than food allergy.

{End Quote}

Here is another neuropathic perspective

The Health Benefits Of Raw Milk From Grass-Fed Animals

Raw milk remained a mainstay of my diet. Since 1981 I have strongly recommended raw milk to thousands of people who have seen me in my practice as a naturopathic physician.
{End Quote}

So for those who are seeing this type of practitioner, have access to safe raw milk and enjoy milk it may be worth asking about ???

Did some one accuse you of this? Is there such a thing? Hmm off topic - sorry

Once again I am confused and confounded by some ones response out of the blue -

I think we are simply sharing information about ADD treatment approaches that are not drug related and are successful. Presenting post claiming all milk as bad or some thing like 90% of the human population is allergic to does generate ideas worthy of enough consideration to do a little research on .

I am sharing my results for consideration - nothing more nothing less. Every thing posted here is for information balancing purposes only. I am not looking to debate the issue {not here any way.}
So was I and I agree, I did not just pop in here out of the blue, i actually started the thread and someone ask me directly in this thread what my NP thought of milk and I told them. That's why I stated I really don't know much about it. And yes, the 90% comment came from the NP mouth - is it fact or opnion from his standpoint I don't know. I haven't researched that since Milk is not a problem for us. Again, just relaying what my NP said about Milk.

If you like Milk and want to talk to it benefits that is wonderful, start a new thread perhaps? I was just responding to a "direct" question to me and my expierence with the NP - and didn't expect for anyone to get all up and arms over my response.

If you would like to start a thread on Milk and want me to site my sources on some of the stuff I posted I would be happy to - I would love to learn more about the pros and cons of Milk. But for now, it is off topic unless it had lead to some successes with ADHD - if so let's hear it, please.
Old 05-13-08, 08:32 AM
Super Meowaderator

Quote:
If you like Milk and want to talk to it benefits that is wonderful, start a new thread perhaps?
To many bosses merely creates confusion. If you do not mind or even if you do I going to play moderator hence my presence in this thread.

Please do your part and return to the topic which is

"non-drug treatment success stories please! "

So unless eliminating dairy is part of your ADD treatment success the subject is officially considered over"

Thank you for the offering to help but I assure you I can handle the moderating duties here.

Last edited by meadd823; 05-13-08 at 08:48 AM..
Old 05-14-08, 08:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

amypaige has a spectacular aura aboutamypaige has a spectacular aura about

Has anyone read "Healing the New Childhood Epidemics, Autism, ADHD, Asthma and Allergies" by Kenneth Bock?
He and his collegues seem to have found some root causes to this epidemic we have all found ourselves in! And not only that, how to heal them, if not completely, significantly.
The Following User Says Thank You to amypaige For This Useful Post:
Tilly (07-05-08)
Old 05-14-08, 09:48 PM

Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Amypaige, what's your take on the use of the word "epidemic" when referring to Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies?

Phaedrus

Old 05-14-08, 11:00 PM

Thanked 1,633 Times in 883 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

Here's some ADDF discussion on this book:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...highlight=bock

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...highlight=bock

Here's some info on Dr. Bock himself:

http://www.rhinebeckhealth.com/rhc/bio_kbock.php

The word "epidemic" of the last twenty years in regards to what Bock's book is referring to, may mean several things, including more individuals per percentage who have these issues, more individuals being *diagnosed* and recognized with these issues, and/or redefining or refining the criteria for diagnoses.

Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride also has a book out called "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" which is along the same sort of lines as Bock's book. She is also treating individuals in her clinic in the UK with some of the same integrative/alternative philosophies as Dr. Bock here in the states.
Old 05-14-08, 11:32 PM

I'm more interested in the correct interpretation of a medical definition for the word epidemic.

ep·i·dem·ic adj. Spreading rapidly and extensively by infection and affecting many individuals in an area or population at the same time, as of a disease or illness.

n. An outbreak or unusually high occurrence of a disease or illness in a population or area.

ADHD and Autism are currently not defined as diseases. ADHD and Autism occur in the population worldwide, not in a particular population or area.

Perhaps the
incorrect use of the word epidemic is just a matter of ignorance. It would be unethical to use the loaded word "epidemic" to sell books.

Phaedrus

Old 05-15-08, 10:46 AM

Thanked 25,559 Times in 11,905 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, epidemic has come to mean a lot more than that limited definition. Check here: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/epidemic
Quote:
2.extremely prevalent; widespread.

4.a rapid spread or increase in the occurrence of something: an epidemic of riots.

and...
Quote:
Widely prevalent: epidemic discontent.
or...
Quote:
A rapid spread, growth, or development: an unemployment epidemic.
or this...
Quote:
1. (especially of medicine) of disease or anything resembling a disease; attacking or affecting many individuals in a community or a population simultaneously' "an epidemic outbreak of influenza."
So... 'especially' but not 'limited to'.

If indeed there is a common cause for these issues, as I have read it could be a proliferation of a certain yeast, then I agree that it could be considered an epidemic. Especially since my family by all of those (Autism, ADHD, Asthma and Allergies) I am intrigued by the concept of a common cause and therefore a common treatment.

I have a friend who, along with two of her daughters, is seriously affected by Chemical Injury Illness and is currently undergoing similar treatment to correct the chemical imbalances in their bodies. It would be so wonderful for them to be able to leave their house and live a normal life for the first time in over 6 years.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
FrazzleDazzle (05-15-08), Tilly (10-15-08)
Old 05-15-08, 02:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

amypaige has a spectacular aura aboutamypaige has a spectacular aura about

The author does not indicate the use of word meaning spreading but of vastly growing proportions.
Old 07-03-08, 05:09 AM

ericca is on a distinguished road

Hi, I live in Pennsylvania. My daughter has turned to alcohol ever since her dad died. They were always so close and his passing away was really hard on her. Last night we had a talk, and I made her realize that her dad won't be happy with her if he knew what she was doing to herself. She has already agreed to treatment. Can someone here tell me how to find an alcohol rehab in Pennsylvania?>>
Old 10-13-08, 04:43 PM
Contributor

Tilly will become famous soon enough

At the end of August I took my son to see a medical doctor who practices integrative medicine. Basically an integrative doctor looks for root causes to your symptoms using a biomedical approach.

Over the past 2 years I have been using some of the protocols that a biomedical doctor might use. Here is a list of the things we have tried prior to our doctors appointment.

Diet- read my Feingold posts in the diet section.

enzymes and probiotics- My husband, my son's teacher, and I noticed that James behavior evened out. He seemed calmer and less frustrated. He made a jump in reading and writing the week after we started enzymes.

omegas, and various vitamins- I never noticed a difference but always give them to him.

psycogenol and l-theanine (helps me sleep). I didn't notice a change and stopped giving them to my son..

Gluten free diet. His teacher and I noticed a change after a week and a half. A year ago we needed to give him gluten everyday for a month to get celiac testing done and he was off the wall hyper and frustrated. He seems to tolerate it better now on occasion, but I need to go through my new treatments and test it again later. I don’t want to make a change so I will test gluten again later.