ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-17, 08:31 PM

Idkk98 is on a distinguished road
Question What could help?

I don't know if I got ADHD or something, but just wanted to know if someone has some advice..
Its hard to always feel this way, especially when I really need to understand something and just doesen't get it, or the emotions or so..

I don't really know what I want about this, but might just want to know if anyone feels the same and might some helpfull advices.

I can't concentrate or focus, I just sit and turn my head round and look at what others are doing, the cars that drive outside the window, the fly spinning. My hands and legs are fidgeting, my math-test just became a paper fly, with drawings allover. My chair is shaking from my leg shakes.

The feeling inside my body. I have been still for some minutes, I feel like I could run down everything, jump on the tables, fly out the window. But I can keep myself under control, im still still.

I hear a question, I burst out the answer.
I didn't think about it, but it was the wrong one. Im not a school genius.
The only thing I really learned at math was pluz and minus. I can't get it, I want to learn and I try. But my focus is stuck in another dimension. My tests comes back with comments about me "writing outside the question" "what do you mean" "you didnt answer the question".
My teachers and I at school, didn't really understand eachother well. It often ended with angry(half mean) comments or me walking away. Being kicked out of classes (for an hour or so). Arguing, correcting etc.
Forgetting the due, and failing to deliver tasks. Can't know how much time something will take. Often late. Missing my stuff.

I talk to people, I guess I talk alot to much.
But when i try to listen, I just get it 20% of the time when its more people around. Like what did you just say?
*please repeat atleast four times*
Even when its just me and you, I struggle.
Taking what I just heard into my head and then find out what it means, often I just get it like a puzzle.

I can't many card games or rules in gymnastics or other rules, its hard to remember and understand. But often when someone tells me personally a few times about the spesific game I'll get it.

I can get hung up in stuff, and I can't just shake it off. Like hyperfocus.
It could be, when I reads or watching television a word or something I don't understand and then I can't focus on anything until I have learned about what I was wondering about.
Or it could be about anything I have heard or like doing, that all my focus goes to that.

I got a messy organizaton system, and when someone make a difference in my messy organization I get sooo angry and frustrated.
Its hard to organizate and I use long time to get it just right for me.
Emotional.. Angry outburst.. sad..happy many feelings at once.

I often do stupid things.
I often do things before I think.

I can't stand choices, I don't like to choose.
Like choosing a color, choosing a dinner etc.
And its hard to know where I should start when doing things.

I get tired of doing the same things over and over again, I get easy tired of friends..

I love meeting new people, new places and not afraid of crowds.

Thats a tiny piece of my story..
Old 06-18-17, 11:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all
Re: What could help?

Well I always did wonder if other adhders looked at random stuff while someone else was driving. I used to look at phone poles, clouds, really random stuff lol. I used to stare outside my bedroom window at trees and think. I used to sit on top my shed when I was a kid and stare and think lol, that was my favorite thing to do My teachers used to write on my papers "awkward" and I'd be like THANKS. I used to doodle all over my papers when I was taking notes. I can't learn Chess, it makes my brain explode. I coped with more entertaining fidgeting by doing drum beats in school, they didn't last long. I'd get a fidget spinner, seems to help people. I don't have the amount of hyperactivity as you, like getting in trouble I know other people do. I do interrupt people or try my best not to now.

I am the same way with the tv, I lose the point of the story over some cool word to me.

No doubt you have ADHD, you just have to tell your doctor what you just said...
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
Old 06-20-17, 04:12 AM

Lightbulb Re: What could help?

Thanks!
Im just not sure if I want to get diagnosed..
If it worth it? Or if I should hide the problems.

Sometimes I just feel like this is not normal and a break would really help and thats what I need. but Im scared that drugs might change me.

I have just heard to many people talking about the bad effects of treatments.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-17, 08:11 AM

Thanks!

I'm just not sure I want a diagnosis.
Sometimes things just feels like a mess, and I just wish something would help.
Other times Im happy for who I have become and scared to loose myself after a diagnosis.
I guess I feel a little bit scared and weird about it all.

I have heard many people talking about how bad the medications are, and that they have changed personality afterwards.
I don't want to change, I just want to focus and control myself better..

Is it worth it?
Old 06-20-17, 04:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

Medication is worth it. Or even worth a try. It will only alter your focus or side effects if you have them for hours. It doesn't have to build up in your system like other meds. I haven't heard as good of things with Ritalin with personality in a moody way, but I have heard many good things with adderall. I can guarantee you will feel less like a mess, not so stressed out and more so calm. It might feel weird if you are less hyper, but it may be something you can get used to or you might like it right away. You also don't have to take your medication 24/7 and I would recommend instant release.
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
Idkk98 (06-20-17)
Old 06-20-17, 05:28 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,946 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Even if it turns out you were wrong about this, it's still important for you to find out what's going on. So, go.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 06-20-17, 06:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute

Some suggestions that might be a little helpful, but not much:

Fidget freely in most situations. Of course there are cases where you need to limit it, but if you're sitting at a desk for any reason, leg-bouncing is probably fine. Just try to avoid shaking furniture being used by others. Making sounds or any visual stimming is trickier to do without hassling others, but you can often work something out. Don't worry if someone comments on your fidgeting, asks why, or misinterprets it as "anxiety." Sometimes they're just curious or concerned about you, but if you're fidgeting is legit bothering them, try to find a solution that allows you to fidget without bothering. If someone tries to forbid all fidgeting, regard them as the unreasonable jerkface weirdo they are. If said weirdo is an authority figure, say it's a medical condition. (Diagnosis helps with playing the medical condition card, but it probably won't be necessary.)

Practice additional fidget actions so you have an option for almost any situation. For example, pressing your hands togethwre in frontof your chest as hard as possible is something I often find helpful. (You may find additional ideas in resources for sensory processing disorder or autism. The autism-related termis "stimming.")

Doodle when trying to take in auditory info (it aids concentration, statistically), but prepare a separate sheet of paper so it doesn't clutter your notes or test.

You might have auditory processing issues? Try to limit background sounds when you need to hear speech--music without lyrics might be fine, someone talking won't be. Get a visual aid whenever possible. (Google "auditory processing disorder" to look for self-help coping tips, which may be helpful even if your issues are subclinical.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idkk98 View Post
Thanks!

I'm just not sure I want a diagnosis.
Sometimes things just feels like a mess, and I just wish something would help.
Other times Im happy for who I have become and scared to loose myself after a diagnosis.
I guess I feel a little bit scared and weird about it all.

I have heard many people talking about how bad the medications are, and that they have changed personality afterwards.
I don't want to change, I just want to focus and control myself better..

Is it worth it?
Sometimes people consider ADHD symptoms part of their personality. So if you could control yourself better, that would count as changing your personality, regardless of whether that change came from meds or some other hypothetical method.

Meds often have annoying side effects, but they're much less bad than symptoms like this. (If they are worse than these symptoms, you stop taking it! Or adjust the dose. Actually the stimulants are so short-acting that many folks get significantly different results depending on dose schedule and pill release form, so changing that up can solve the problem.) There are multiple meds available, so if the first one is no good, you may have luck with another.

If you are going to look at anecdotes about med results, at least make sure you get stories from an adult with ADHD or similar condition using the meds as prescribed for therapeutic purposes. (Teens might be okay too, but kids have more challenges getting meds right because the medical decisions are being made by their parent, who is trying to guess at efficacy by the kid's behavior. Parents may also have different treatment goals than the actual patient. Besides that, some people may use ADHD meds for recreational purposes or performance enhancement, and their situation won't apply to you. Besides the downside of no meds being much more minor for them, they might take stupid doses, take the meds sporadically, take pills they bought off the street, take meds that are medically contraindicated in their personal situation, etc.)

Not sure if this is relevant to your location, but driving a car with these symptoms is very dangerous.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyllya For This Useful Post:
Idkk98 (06-20-17), kwalk (06-20-17)