ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 04-24-17, 05:50 PM

Charlotte31 is on a distinguished road
Adhd and Anger Issues

My son has ADHD and has really bad anger issues is this attached with ADHD or should I be looking to see if there is any other underlined issues and not just ADHD HELP!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlotte31 For This Useful Post:
Johnny Slick (05-09-17), namazu (04-24-17)
Old 04-24-17, 07:11 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 17,976 Times in 8,814 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adhd and Anger Issues

Hi Charlotte,

Welcome to ADDF.

Anger in kids (as in adults) can have many causes.

ADHD can sometimes be one of those causes, for various reasons, two of which include:

• Impulse control and emotional regulation problems are common with ADHD. Some kids may have trouble thinking before they act, and when they're angry, they may lash out physically or verbally in ways that other kids might not.
  • ADHD symptoms that cause problems in school or with friends can leave kids feeling lonely, frustrated, stupid, or bad. They may express this in ways that look like (and may reflect) anger.

But there are also many other reasons why a kid with ADHD could have anger problems (or what look like anger problems). Co-existing anxiety, depression, autism, learning and/or speech disorders, sensory issues, bullying, abuse, hunger, blood sugar problems, ineffective or unpleasant teachers, boredom, an environment that doesn't meet his needs, medication side effects -- these are all things (and there are others) that could cause a child to react strongly and be (or appear) angry.

Are there particular situations or people that seem to trigger angry outbursts more than others? Does he seem angrier on certain days, or at certain times of day?

Have you talked to your son about his anger? Can he / will he tell you what makes him angry -- and also importantly, what makes him feel safe, comfortable, and calm?

Figuring these out may give you clues as to what's driving the behaviors/emotions and how you might start to address them.

It might be a good idea to talk to a child psychologist or psychiatrist. Is your son currently seeing anyone to help with the ADHD? These professionals will be familiar with what's normal and abnormal behavior for a kid with ADHD (and/or other conditions), and may have some good advice on helping your son manage his emotions (and making changes, if needed, to his environment to help that happen).

You might find the advice in Dizfriz's Corner helpful to you in understanding and handling your son's behavior.

Best wishes to you (and your son)!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-24-17), Lunamoth (04-25-17)
Old 04-25-17, 04:55 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,717 Times in 12,982 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte31 View Post
My son has ADHD and has really bad anger issues is this attached with ADHD or should I be looking to see if there is any other underlined issues and not just ADHD HELP!!!
What are his other symptoms?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-17, 09:04 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

How old is he? I have found that there are times in any persons life that things are just more frustrating. For example, that age between not a kid and not an adult can be hard on everyone. Teenage angst is a real thing!
Old 04-25-17, 01:03 PM

Charlotte31 is on a distinguished road

Hi
He is six he has goes from normal to angry straight away there is never a build up to his anger it can be over the smallest thing like not being allowed a piece of fruit etc but when he goes it can take a good 30 mins to calm him down if I'm lucky
Old 04-25-17, 03:19 PM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte31 View Post
Hi
He is six he has goes from normal to angry straight away there is never a build up to his anger it can be over the smallest thing like not being allowed a piece of fruit etc but when he goes it can take a good 30 mins to calm him down if I'm lucky
My seven year old is the same.

Is your son on ADHD meds? Hows his sleeping?
Old 05-09-17, 02:19 PM

mamabanana is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with my 6 yo. We are not on any kind of treatment yet.
Old 05-09-17, 04:25 PM
The Von Kaiser of Moderators

Johnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of light

I am *not* a child psychologist by any means, but one thing I know about my own ADHD is that although sometimes I can have a quick temper it goes away just as quickly. Actually, this was kind of a running joke about my dad (about whom I didn't know he even suffered from this until very recently). He was a very sweet man in a lot of ways but sometimes he'd get frustrated about something, blow his top (he *never* hit us but sometimes he'd wag his finger in your face or yell or whatever), and then 2 minutes later it'd be all good again.

I'm sure that kids can exhibit symptoms differently, but yeah, that's not *necessarily* ADHD in and of itself. In fact, if he's exhibiting other symptoms of ADHD (inattentiveness, a tendency to blurt stuff out, frustration when he has to stand in line or sit in one spot for long periods of time), he may very well be on the spectrum instead / as well.

I guess, long story short, you sound like you care very deeply about the well-being of your child. Perhaps seeing a child psychiatrist for a session or two would be a good idea?
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Slick For This Useful Post:
BricksAreHeavy (05-29-17)
Old 06-13-17, 11:04 AM

KWGKWG is on a distinguished road

My 9 y/o daughter has occasional angry tantrums over random things - like we got the wrong ice cream, or I told her she had a playdate but plans changed. Crying, yelling, sweating, I'm "the worst human on the planet", she "hates" me... (We have a good relationship so I know she doesn't mean these things.) It will usually go on for about half an hour and then she winds back down to normal. The strange thing about these episodes is that they are usually completely irrational and there is no reasoning with her once she has unraveled. I just have to let the tantrum run it's course. I believe that they are related to the ADHD and impulse control/not being able to self-regulate when she is emotional/upset/frustrated. We have only recently been diagnosed. Not on meds (yet) and I am hoping that behavioral therapy will help her learn to deal with her feelings more appropriately. Hoping... She has lashed on friends and teachers, too, but less "violently". She saves the worst for me - which actually makes me hopeful that she has SOME control over them, and will develop more as she matures.
Old 06-14-17, 10:27 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGKWG View Post
My 9 y/o daughter has occasional angry tantrums over random things - like we got the wrong ice cream, or I told her she had a playdate but plans changed. Crying, yelling, sweating, I'm "the worst human on the planet", she "hates" me... (We have a good relationship so I know she doesn't mean these things.) It will usually go on for about half an hour and then she winds back down to normal. The strange thing about these episodes is that they are usually completely irrational and there is no reasoning with her once she has unraveled. I just have to let the tantrum run it's course. I believe that they are related to the ADHD and impulse control/not being able to self-regulate when she is emotional/upset/frustrated. We have only recently been diagnosed. Not on meds (yet) and I am hoping that behavioral therapy will help her learn to deal with her feelings more appropriately. Hoping... She has lashed on friends and teachers, too, but less "violently". She saves the worst for me - which actually makes me hopeful that she has SOME control over them, and will develop more as she matures.
My daughter is 8 and I have the same issues. It's like she is super smart and can connect the dots so quickly, but if things aren't as she thinks they should be she gets this look....this huffy puffy I'm going to blow look.

Sometimes I really don't have time for it and have to stop it in it's tracks and just tell her "NO M'AM, stop right there, I know it wasn't suppose to be this way but now it is, you can be mad about it but this is what we ARE doing, so go get in the car."....she isn't happy about it, she's pretty ticked actually, there is actual stomping involved, but she does go get in the car.
Old 06-14-17, 12:35 PM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGKWG View Post
Do you plan to start her on meds soon? IMO behavioral therapy and all that is more successful when used in conjunction with meds.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 08-30-17, 07:03 PM

Discodog2 is on a distinguished road

I have a 10 and 6 year old with severe anger problems. 10 year old finally on pathway for ADHD 6 year old waiting to be assessed. Eldest had 8 sessions of behaviour therapy and he is not engaging with psychotherapist at all. He self harms too. Have to do a 12 week CAHMS parenting course then they will fastrack him for ADOS assessment to see if he's on the spectrum too
Old 08-31-17, 04:42 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discodog2 View Post
I have a 10 and 6 year old with severe anger problems. 10 year old finally on pathway for ADHD 6 year old waiting to be assessed. Eldest had 8 sessions of behaviour therapy and he is not engaging with psychotherapist at all. He self harms too. Have to do a 12 week CAHMS parenting course then they will fastrack him for ADOS assessment to see if he's on the spectrum too
If he self harms I urge you not to ignore it and make sure that you find psychiatric and psychological help that he will engage with. Both my girls started with self harm that progressed to suicidal thoughts and plans with their depression. In their case they both had to go in-patient and then IOP seperately but they are doing great now.

I carried a watermelon?