ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 06-04-17, 06:38 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,135 Times in 8,154 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Question How many people can someone like at once?

I've been talking to someone who's basically put me on hold while she sees someone else. However, she came over last week and was physical with me. How can this be?
dormammau2008 (06-05-17), someothertime (06-04-17)
Old 06-04-17, 06:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,900 Times in 7,983 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How many people can someone like at once?

maybe you're back up dude.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-04-17)
Old 06-04-17, 06:55 PM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
maybe you're back up dude.
I'm on deck?
Old 06-04-17, 07:42 PM

Thanked 12,619 Times in 5,595 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
How can this be?
Easy. People do what they want.

Cheers,
Ian
anonymouslyadd (06-04-17), Pilgrim (06-11-17)
Old 06-04-17, 08:06 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I think the answer to your question is "It depends on the person doing the liking".

But I'm not sure if your question was the most important one to be asking.

For example, "Does physical intimacy guarantee that this person likes me?" might be another relevant one. And I think "It depends on the individual" is again an important part of the answer to that.

It's probably not easy to have a casual conversation with her about this stuff, but then again it's the sort of thing you'd want to know.

And sometimes people don't even know their own minds when this type of conversation happens; with the potentially strong emotions surrounding it, and the usual social reluctance to discuss sex in any serious way, people may have never really thought that much about it, or get overwhelmed if they try.

Because it's not something we generally feel free to discuss, I think the average person relies very heavily on a lot of assumptions that they've managed to pick up more or less randomly through their life. And then we get surprised when someone we've recently met doesn't share our particular set of random assumptions.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-04-17)
Old 06-04-17, 09:27 PM
Moderator of all seasons

She told me about this cat, and I thought she had stopped seeing him that's all.
Old 06-04-17, 09:41 PM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She told me about this cat, and I thought she had stopped seeing him that's all.
If she's also been seeing a cat, then it's far too complex a situation for me to understand. Is she from ancient Egypt by any chance? That would partly explain it at least.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
finallyfound10 (06-10-17)
Old 06-05-17, 02:16 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,284 Times in 13,270 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are exclusive with her, I guess she feels who she dates isnt your business.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 06-05-17, 02:28 AM
Mr. BllVt

Sarah: Some people expect that getting physical with someone automatically means you're exclusive with them. It's the assumptions thing.
aeon (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 04:33 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,284 Times in 13,270 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Sarah: Some people expect that getting physical with someone automatically means you're exclusive with them. It's the assumptions thing.
Youre 100% right and I wish I had added to my post.
Anon- I would also assume things were serious if I got intimate with someone. Unless a booty-call contract was verbally made, I can see how thats confusing.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 06-05-17, 04:09 PM

Thanked 19,312 Times in 10,265 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm on deck?
Being on deck might be a good thing!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 06-05-17, 04:13 PM

Thanked 19,312 Times in 10,265 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I love this line so much.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-06-17)
Old 06-05-17, 06:50 PM

Thanked 31,903 Times in 14,379 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've been talking to someone who's basically put me on hold while she sees someone else. However, she came over last week and was physical with me. How can this be?
there's a difference between how many people you are in love with, and how many people you're interested in, and how many people a person might be capable of being physically intimate with in the same timeframe. and all of those answers are dependent upon the person in question.

bottom line is that you'll only know by asking her what the situation is. if you see getting physical as mutual exclusivity, you need to tell her that. not everyone sees it that way.

how did you leave things?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-05-17), ToneTone (06-05-17), Unmanagable (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 11:32 PM
Contributor

WheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to all

Quote:
Like, or be sexual with?

Robin Dunbar has recently conducted neuroscience experiments demonstrating that a healthy human brain is capable of managing 150 moderately close personal relationships simultaneously. those of us with ADD, perhaps half that. Go looking for his YouTube videos, fascinating stuff.

If she "was physical" with you, it's not really a question of "liking" any more. "Physical" means a form of intimacy...which usually requires a high degree of trust and personal privacy, and VERY few people can be comfortable with more than one at a time.

In my experience (became sexually active 40 years ago) if a woman puts me on hold, then shows up for some physical action, it has meant, typically, that she's re-thinking her decision...and either didn't move on to someone else, or the someone else she thought she'd move onto didn't work out.

Ask her. It's the most honest thing to do.

WMM
Old 06-06-17, 04:08 AM
Mr. BllVt

Sort of the flip side of the issue of mismatched assumptions:

If you find that someone's assumptions are quite far from yours, I think it might be smart to wonder whether a relationship with them has a good chance of success.

Maybe the answer is "Yes, an excellent chance, because reasons". But I'd say it's a worthwhile question anyway.