ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-18, 01:43 PM

coa999 is on a distinguished road
Thinking I have ADHD

i'm new here, but I think I have ADHD.

I think since I was about 13 (i'm 38 now) i've had this issue, but never really sought help. it's never bothered me much, until now. I suppose I just want an answer.

But the biggest thing is it hinders my career, and a few other things:

- when i was at school, i used to mix up exam dates/locations in my head, and i would go to empty classrooms.

- at work, i used to miss repair appointments. and in my job now, I sometimes mix up information.

It's hard to describe, but then sometimes my boss will tell me to "do x and then place y in the boxes for the delivery guys". I would accept it fully in my mind, but then something in my brain mixes it up. And I have to concentrate hard to remember.

And this is a bit weird, but I went to a massage appointment several months ago, and knew I had to go to the cashpoint to get money, but then the lady was very kind to let me go and come back after the session.

It's these errors/**** ups that kind of embarrass me, and sometimes have negative consequences.

It's more than just forgetfulness, it's a constant.
Old 07-28-18, 05:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,270 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thinking I have ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by coa999 View Post
i'm new here, but I think I have ADHD.

I think since I was about 13 (i'm 38 now) i've had this issue, but never really sought help. it's never bothered me much, until now. I suppose I just want an answer.
One of the main things with adhd is that symptoms must have been present and impairing before age 7 up to age 12. And impairments have to be bad enough to warrant interventions of some kind.
Quote:
But the biggest thing is it hinders my career, and a few other things:

- when i was at school, i used to mix up exam dates/locations in my head, and i would go to empty classrooms.

- at work, i used to miss repair appointments. and in my job now, I sometimes mix up information.

It's hard to describe, but then sometimes my boss will tell me to "do x and then place y in the boxes for the delivery guys". I would accept it fully in my mind, but then something in my brain mixes it up. And I have to concentrate hard to remember.

And this is a bit weird, but I went to a massage appointment several months ago, and knew I had to go to the cashpoint to get money, but then the lady was very kind to let me go and come back after the session.

It's these errors/**** ups that kind of embarrass me, and sometimes have negative consequences.

It's more than just forgetfulness, it's a constant.
It must affect you beyond work or school. I always get this confused but you have to have impairments in 2 or more areas of your life that affect you in 6 or more ways (or 6 or more areas in your life that affect you in 2 or more ways).

I carried a watermelon?