ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-18, 02:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

traze23 will become famous soon enough
Anger

Recently, I started a new job and a co-worker has made me really angry and it’s affecting me. I have ADD among other things, therefore I have a low attention span and bad comprehension skills. I was in a 2 hour meeting with this person and when I got confused and started asking questions, they lost their patience and snapped at me. I did nothing about it. I didn’t tell them to not to talk to me in that manner, how it’s a lot information to handle and I need their patience, or even tell them F U. That would have gotten me fired, but at least I would have let it out and the way I’m feeling right now it would have been worth it.

I've kept it bottled up inside and this is what I’ve been doing for years when someone angers me. I finally think it’s taking it’s toll: my blood pressure has gone up to 145, my heart rate is high, tension is all over my body. I want to hurt this person and I’m afraid I'll do so to let it out and make the pain go away.
Old 07-29-18, 02:48 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,270 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anger

Workplace anger is just like middle school. In middle school everyone is wrapped up in everyone's business and drama and social media makes this worse. Everyone is trying to one up each other or impress someone and that can involve putting someone down or at least puffing up their rooster chest and trying to make a fool out of you. If they used their head they would know that nobody is motivated to change or do better when they are treated like sh*t. You are allowed to be confused. The way I ask questions of people like this is to repeat what they just said... like:
"just so I understand you, you want me to do xyz after I do this other thing?"
Not saying anything to them has its pros and cons. The pros are you can deliberately ignore and overlook their hostility which p*sses them off more or you can firmly tell them that if they are not the ones signing your checks then you do not have to listen to the way they are speaking to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traze23 View Post
Recently, I started a new job and a co-worker has made me really angry and itís affecting me. I have ADD among other things, therefore I have a low attention span and bad comprehension skills. I was in a 2 hour meeting with this person and when I got confused and started asking questions, they lost their patience and snapped at me. I did nothing about it. I didnít tell them to not to talk to me in that manner, how itís a lot information to handle and I need their patience, or even tell them F U. That would have gotten me fired, but at least I would have let it out and the way Iím feeling right now it would have been worth it. From now on try to only get direct instructions from your actual superior. Whatever they are you can tell this person that Mr bossman said to do it a certain way and that you wont be doing it their way until you hear otherwise.

I've kept it bottled up inside and this is what Iíve been doing for years when someone angers me. I finally think itís taking itís toll: my blood pressure has gone up to 145, my heart rate is high, tension is all over my body. I want to hurt this person and Iím afraid I'll do so to let it out and make the pain go away.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-29-18)
Old 07-31-18, 04:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of
Re: Anger

Well this job could be a bridge to something else, I mean it is good to have this distance from untreated sewage in other people. The fact I am there doesn't mean I have to accept everything blindly, or in the alternative take the balistic missile route of mutual relations. When I am at my best, I am in the present tense kind of, and I can with a sense of humor, say "wow, that's a lot of things to ask considering I just walked in the door", or "gez, let's take a breather, because the energy is heavy duty", or "I can tell you are like a locomotive, good stuff for the organization, but can I ask for a bit of time before I hop on your train? really I'm doing my best ..."
The Following User Says Thank You to 1000koni For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (07-31-18)
Sponsored Links