ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 08-09-18, 09:36 PM

Zaniard is on a distinguished road
Chasing Euphoria

Hello, new member here. Feel free to judge me just gonna say how I feel.

I've read a few posts on the topic. I recently started Vyvanse after years of being off medication. 2nd- 10th grade I was on Ritalin. And I tried Strattera in 2013. I dont remember feeling different on Ritalin. Strattera made me a totally numb cynical Zombie who made even the sound of my best friends voice repulsive.

But the first few days on Vyvanse I had the jittery euphorbia. First day I didnt know how to take it. The 2nd day I was able to harness this feeling into positive emotional and physical energy. Now a couple days later it's gone, I still feel like I'm a little more focused. Have more energy and my appetite has came back about halfway. But I gotta be honest I want that feeling back. For about 6 hours I was the most jovial, engaging person I wanted to work and get things done. I felt great. Even the summer heat didn't bother me. I felt like that Bradley Cooper from the movie LIMITLESS. I didn't have stress or a bunch of random thoughts jumping in my head. Though they have still slowed down. You dont have to worry about me trying to overdose, score smack or anything crazy. I'm not going to risk my family or career over this. I've dealt with being in a mental rut for the last 8 years if this medication takes even half that away I cant complain. But man that feeling made me confident and on top of the world. It made me be nicer person too if that makes sense. My jokes were less harsh, I looked people in the eye and genuinely cared about what people said. Normally I can be a little harsh, not mean just a little blunt. I knew it wouldnt last, but I also don't feel guilty or embarrassed to say I miss it and would take it back in a heart beat. I just dont want to go back to looking at something as simple as a cluttered basement and just be mentally frozen.

Feel free to tell me how you feel and maybe some suggestions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zaniard For This Useful Post:
DanielGM1970 (08-31-18), psychopathetic (08-22-18)
Old 08-10-18, 12:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,575 Times in 870 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chasing Euphoria

You may never be able to induce that feeling again in a healthy and legal way. Your brain was literally being changed and maybe it was a one time "feeling" as it was working for the first time. Many meds have side effects in the beginning that go away after a period of time.

I am an RN on an inpatient psychiatric unit where many of the patients are getting meds and/or doses changed everyday- sometimes even within the same day. RNs spend a lot of time monitoring them for harmful side effects so we hear about new-med/dose-induced feelings frequently.

While all of the above is true, it may also be true that a higher dose could induce that pleasant feeling and would be more helpful overall. That is the goal, it is what we are taking a med for not euphoria.

Talk to your doctor.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (08-23-18), Little Missy (08-10-18), psychopathetic (08-22-18), Zaniard (08-10-18)
Old 08-15-18, 01:53 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,578 Times in 15,085 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaniard View Post
Hello, new member here. Feel free to judge me just gonna say how I feel.
Your post was well written and respectful, not like you were drug seeking so no judgement from me.
Quote:
But the first few days on Vyvanse I had the jittery euphorbia. First day I didnt know how to take it. The 2nd day I was able to harness this feeling into positive emotional and physical energy. Now a couple days later it's gone, I still feel like I'm a little more focused. Have more energy and my appetite has came back about halfway. But I gotta be honest I want that feeling back. For about 6 hours I was the most jovial, engaging person I wanted to work and get things done. I felt great. Even the summer heat didn't bother me. I felt like that Bradley Cooper from the movie LIMITLESS.
I'll be honest...I know you didnt mean anything by it and its just my issue but.. when people make comparisons to the movie Limitless is gets my feathers ruffled because IMO its stuff like that that makes people doubt adhd and why we take medication. We are not supposed to feel limitless we are supposed to feel "normal" or at least on par if possible. But I so get what you are talking about when you describe the way you felt.

Quote:
I didn't have stress or a bunch of random thoughts jumping in my head. Though they have still slowed down. You dont have to worry about me trying to overdose, score smack or anything crazy. I'm not going to risk my family or career over this. I've dealt with being in a mental rut for the last 8 years if this medication takes even half that away I cant complain. But man that feeling made me confident and on top of the world. It made me be nicer person too if that makes sense. My jokes were less harsh, I looked people in the eye and genuinely cared about what people said. Normally I can be a little harsh, not mean just a little blunt. I knew it wouldnt last, but I also don't feel guilty or embarrassed to say I miss it and would take it back in a heart beat. I just dont want to go back to looking at something as simple as a cluttered basement and just be mentally frozen.
This is where taking stimulants gets risky... almost all of us feel like that the first few days. If someone is lucky enough to feel that for the long term or at least more than a few days then kudos to them..but its not the way the med is supposed to work. In fact, when you hear of all the college kids using adderall for all-nighters I wonder if thats the way people without adhd who take stimulants feel vs those of us who do have adhd and take stimulants. But it makes sense that you wouldn't feel that way long term because that would take a lot of brain work to continue to feel that way. And this is also just my opinion but IME I have noticed that people who take vyvanse report feeling super good and then nothing more often than people who take the other stimulants. This is just my opinion but I have noticed that so maybe another stimulant like adderall or dexedrine would work better for you. I would say my mood is excellent 70% of the time on adderall. I tried vyvanse briefly and it made me feel like crap after one day and its the longest lasting amphetamine so it interrupted my sleep.
But you should want to feel balance, just comfortable in your own skin. Not like superman.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (08-23-18), PoppnNSailinMan (09-02-18), psychopathetic (08-22-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-18, 05:45 PM

Zaniard is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the kind words of understanding. I'm over it now. Just wanted to vent
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zaniard For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (08-23-18), psychopathetic (08-22-18)
Old 08-31-18, 11:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to all

That's a normal response. Maybe you can't get the euphoria back, but it should benefit you in a meaningful way for a long time and don't let anyone judge you that you need medication to function like everyone else.

My career was going in a rut and I was constantly humiliated by peers and bosses for how "in a fog" and clueless I was, and low energy, constantly forgetting things people had told me and double-booking myself, etc. etc. It was killing my self esteem.

When I got on Vyvanse (20-30 mg), it was like a switch flipped instantly, and I become a high performer and immediately more successful overnight. It helped to change jobs as I did this, so that I had a fresh slate to work with and no stigma from my previous lousy performance to weigh me down, but I have no hesitation in saying that the drug helped me in a way that nothing else did. It even reduced my considerable anxiety problems because of the massive self-esteem boost I was getting plus what my doctor said was a "neural protectant" effect of the drug. My previous psychiatrist refused to put me on ADHD medication because he thought it would make me more anxious or panicky, but the opposite was true.

I've found recently that the medication has become less effective so I'm on a slightly higher dose, and I've had some breathing problems, as well as troubles when I tried to quit caffeine, all of which I've posted about on other threads. But overall, the positive effects were high for at least 5-6 years. I may consider trying another drug because of the "air hunger" I've experienced the last 2 years, but that's just my own physiological reaction and shouldn't affect how you feel about the benefits you are getting.

Good luck and enjoy being normal!!