ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Learning Disabilities (LD)
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-18, 11:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Does my niece have dyslexia

My niece writes words with letters reversed sometimes. By reversed I mean the symbols themselves are flipped and the letters in the word are sequenced backward so that if you held her word to a mirror, it would read correctly in the mirror.

The exact same words seem to be flipped sometimes and then sometimes they aren't.

She doesn't have any problems in school but she is extremely smart so it could be that her intelligence is compensating for a potential learning disability?

What do you guys think?
Old 09-21-18, 02:34 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,766 Times in 10,446 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does my niece have dyslexia

How old is she?

Flipping letters and words is normal to a certain point.

After that, they could be a sign of a learning or motor-planning disability (dyslexia, maybe, but also dysgraphia or a visual-processing problem or other fine-motor or hand-eye coordination problems).

Dyslexia, as new research has shown, is also often associated with difficulties in processing the sounds in words and/or in linking phonemes (sounds) with graphemes (written word chunks).

It's not necessarily characterized by backwards writing, though that sometimes does go along with it.

...Or maybe she's just channeling Leonardo da Vinci!
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (09-21-18)
Old 09-21-18, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
How old is she?

Flipping letters and words is normal to a certain point.

After that, they could be a sign of a learning or motor-planning disability (dyslexia, maybe, but also dysgraphia or a visual-processing problem or other fine-motor or hand-eye coordination problems).

Dyslexia, as new research has shown, is also often associated with difficulties in processing the sounds in words and/or in linking phonemes (sounds) with graphemes (written word chunks).

It's not necessarily characterized by backwards writing, though that sometimes does go along with it.

she's 6. She doesn't seem to have difficulties with sounds though maybe I haven't noticed. It's kind of freaky to me. Reminds me of that movie with Jack Nicholson where he writes "redrum" (murder) backwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-21-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-18, 03:33 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,766 Times in 10,446 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an FAQ about letter reversals by Kate Kelly from understood.org

She claims that it's common and normal for kids to reverse letters through second grade, so I wouldn't necessarily worry about your 6yo niece yet-- unless she's plotting murder!

She does suggest that helping kids practice writing letters correctly at that age may be beneficial, though.

Last edited by namazu; 09-21-18 at 03:50 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (09-27-18)
Old 09-21-18, 03:46 PM

Thanked 30,356 Times in 13,988 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Does she have any other symptoms? Like namazu said I think at this age letter reversal can be normal. I don't know too much about dyslexia. Isn't spatial coordination an issue as well?

It's great though that she's got you looking out for her!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (09-27-18), namazu (09-21-18)
Old 09-24-18, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Here's an FAQ about letter reversals by Kate Kelly from understood.org

She claims that it's common and normal for kids to reverse letters through second grade, so I wouldn't necessarily worry about your 6yo niece yet-- unless she's plotting murder!

She does suggest that helping kids practice writing letters correctly at that age may be beneficial, though.
lol about the plotting murder thing. It really does freak me out seeing her writing after watching that shining movie.

Good to read about the age when it typically stops happening. I'll not say anything to my sister until that age.

Fuzz, she really doesn't show any other symptoms from what I've seen so think maybe I'm overreacting too soon.

Thanks for your responses guys.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-25-18), namazu (09-24-18)
Old 09-25-18, 10:04 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

Quote:
How old is she?

I am dyslexic, found out in college because when you almost flunk out they send you to the counselors office. Something I said made them ask me to get tested. Moderate-Severely dyslexic was the diagnosis, and I'd been compensating due to my IQ.

I can read as fast as i talk. I have zero problems reading. I do have severe problems spelling. The thing with dyslexia is that there are so many different types. My mother has what I would call classic dyslexia. Flipping words and letters is a common thing for her. I don't do that, mine is spatial for the most part. I seriously think in a different way than most people.

We aren't sure what type my daughter has yet. I thought it was my mom's type when she read the word ocean as the word once, my mom thinks it's my type based on how she views problems and comes to solutions. For example, this was a real conversation with my daughter:

Her: Mom can we go to dinner at that place
Me: Which place?
Her: You know the one that was on the lollipop I had?
Me: (Racks my brain for which lollipop she had) Oh, you mean cracker Barrel?
Her: YEAH! Can we go?

She had a rootbeer lollipop, on the wrapper is a barrel. We think in pictures, in moments we had. That is how we remember things.

i have not had her tested yet. Her teachers and I agreed that the IEP from the ADHD is enough for now. In order for the test to give us the best possible results she needs to know more before she takes it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (09-27-18)
Old 09-26-18, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
I am dyslexic, found out in college because when you almost flunk out they send you to the counselors office. Something I said made them ask me to get tested. Moderate-Severely dyslexic was the diagnosis, and I'd been compensating due to my IQ.

I can read as fast as i talk. I have zero problems reading. I do have severe problems spelling. The thing with dyslexia is that there are so many different types. My mother has what I would call classic dyslexia. Flipping words and letters is a common thing for her. I don't do that, mine is spatial for the most part. I seriously think in a different way than most people.

We aren't sure what type my daughter has yet. I thought it was my mom's type when she read the word ocean as the word once, my mom thinks it's my type based on how she views problems and comes to solutions. For example, this was a real conversation with my daughter:

Her: Mom can we go to dinner at that place
Me: Which place?
Her: You know the one that was on the lollipop I had?
Me: (Racks my brain for which lollipop she had) Oh, you mean cracker Barrel?
Her: YEAH! Can we go?

She had a rootbeer lollipop, on the wrapper is a barrel. We think in pictures, in moments we had. That is how we remember things.

i have not had her tested yet. Her teachers and I agreed that the IEP from the ADHD is enough for now. In order for the test to give us the best possible results she needs to know more before she takes it.
Thanks Caco3girl. I didn't realize there were different types. So far, she doesn't seem to exhibit any other unusualness (besides maybe possibly having adhd) but will keep an eye out.
Old 09-26-18, 01:13 PM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

if you have time and you like to read these types of things there is a book called the dyslexic advantage. They have it on audio as well. It isn't dry or boring, I really enjoyed it, and it explains way better than I did about how many different types there are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (09-27-18)