ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 09-22-18, 01:41 PM

jonbon21 is on a distinguished road
Can I break open an Ritalin LA capsule to take less?

I had a fill in Doc switch me to Ritalin because I have been experiencing bad side effects with Adderall. I am prescribed 40mg IR release but only end up taking 15 - 20mg because of the side effects. The Doc wrote me a script for 40mg Ritalin LA and I canít get it changed until my appointment with my normal Doctor after he returns from his vacation.

I was hoping to get Ritalin IR and ease into it by breaking up the pill, especially since I have been experiencing side effects on stimulants. Is it ill advised to break open a Ritalin capsule and take half the dose?
Old 09-22-18, 02:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,381 Times in 13,999 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I break open an Ritalin LA capsule to take less?

I think if it's IR you can do that but I'm not entirely sure. Isn't there a locum or replacement psychiatrist at the clinic that you could phone and ask?
Old 09-23-18, 05:08 PM

jonbon21 is on a distinguished road

I suppose I can ask the pharmacy this question when I pick up the script. Anyone else have experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-18, 05:28 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,776 Times in 10,449 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

It's not recommended because you won't be able to be sure what dose you're getting.

While the capsules can be opened and sprinkled on yogurt/applesauce for those who can't swallow pills, the manufacturer's instructions indicate that all of the contents should be consumed at once.

If you've tried the 40mg Ritalin LA and found it to be too much, I'd put a call into the doc and wait to see what he says. I wouldn't try to do home chemistry with the medication. (And if you haven't tried it yet, it's possible that the dose will be fine.)