ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-10, 04:27 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

marie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud of
New Diagnosis - WORDS OF THE DAY

Idiopathic=without cause
Co-morbidity=occurs with ___________
The neurologist is still keeping his first diagnosis of Migraine Associated Vertigo on the books. It alone explains the visual auras, the head pain, the photosensitivity and phonophobia and the dizziness - which occurred in unison in June of 2009.
The persistence of my dizziness and the vertigo zingers that come an go, the fullness in my ears, increased tinnitus and rushing in my ears during the vertigo attacks, the fatigue are things which are more in line with Meniere's disease. The progression of my 'attacks' over the years, culminating into the whopper of '09, leaving me with this new normal is also something he's using to fuel his belief that we're dealing with Meniere's. He hinted at it last time I was there to see him. Only thing I'm not aware of, other than when I'm in the middle of having an attack, would be any hearing loss - which is one of the four symptoms of Meniere's.
Meniere's is a diagnosed through the elimination of other diseases/disorders. My scan clears me for tumors and or malformation. Migraines are common in people with Meniere's (co-morbid).
He recommends that I see an ENT. Last experience with that was wasted time and money. He sent me to an audiologist because he doesn't do anything but check ears, noses and throats. Vestibular issues weren't his 'forte'. I may just go straight to the audiologist again and have a new hearing test done to compare with my last one.
And so....we're trying an old, new-to-me medication that I can't even pronounce and pray I can afford.
"How are you feeling about all of this?"
"Resigned. I have absolutely no hope or expectations that this will get any better than it is. I continue to live, and listen to my body. I push as far as I dare and spend alot reassuring others that I'm not drunk or having a heart attack."
And so - I'll try the new meds and pray I don't have a reaction like the one I had with the Ami and Nortrip *shudder* - and will continue keeping myself busy.
BACK TO MY KITCHEN.
Old 08-30-10, 09:50 PM
Contributor

k31kozumi has a spectacular aura aboutk31kozumi has a spectacular aura about
Re: New Diagnosis - WORDS OF THE DAY

my vertigo is caused by my neck muscles being tight (sternocleitomastoid especially) from whiplash. it also causes tinitus and my visual disturbances (halos)
check your muscles!!
marie-johanne (08-31-10)
Old 08-31-10, 05:48 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

marie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud of

Cervical vertigo was ruled out a long time ago, for me. Vertigo and me have had a long-standing relationship though we became much more intimate over the past year+.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-10, 07:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,516 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how you accomplished long standing with vertigo, mj! (Sorry, couldn't resist. . .)

The good thing is that scans didn't show tumors or growths. In some cases, like my mother's, it can mean a relatively easy fix (if brain surgery can ever be called easy) but most of the time, it's a very bad thing.

I hope the new meds help, but if you can, give a different otolaryngologist a try. Just as we look for psychologists and psychiatrists who specialize in ADD, there has to be an otolaryngologist who specializes in vestibular issues. If your neurologist doesn't have a list, check with a hospital in your area, then hit the phones.

Feel better, lady!
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
marie-johanne (08-31-10)
Old 08-31-10, 10:22 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

:nod: After two full batteries of tests (thousands out of pocket), I'm thinking if they haven't come to their conclusions yet, they ain't gonna. We *know* it's vestibular. We *know* I have migraine. We *know* it's progressive.

I've seen ENTs, Cardiologists, Audiologists, opthalmalogists, neurologists, psychologists and been prayed for, prayed over, and annointed with oils.

At this point - a hearing test to see if my hearing has changed over the past year is a concession I'm willing to make.

New med (started last night) making me feel weird. Was up at 3:15am. Have been up since - not tired.
Old 08-31-10, 11:20 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,516 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

Well, those meds take a while to settle in sometimes. Give it a couple of weeks to even out. What a pain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
marie-johanne (08-31-10)