ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-17-20, 07:02 AM

Ridley1979 is on a distinguished road
Question Think I have ADHD. Here are my symptoms

Hi,

I've put together list of my symptoms I've had since been an adult. There are lots of things I did as a kid, but my mother is the best person to ask as I don't remember everything, but she said she knew something was different about me. There just wasn't the knowledge back then as it was the 80's and early 90's.

The list below is a bit of a brain dump about me and the things I do. Some of the behaviour I would say I'm more like a passenger to it and can look back in retrospect and wish I hadn't acted in a certain way. Not sure if this is something people diagnosed experience?

Like I mentioned, I am going to be assessed, but thought it would be good to reach out to adults with ADHD and see if what I put down below sounds very familiar? Again, need properly assessing, but as we are now starting to see my 8 year old son repeat a lot of the stuff I do, thought it was time to get checked out myself. We have a strong familiar history of ADHD on my mothers sisters side.

Please see list below:

Find it hard to read instructions, I will either figure it out myself or need something visual like a video, though if it's long I struggle to get through it

If I canʼt find the thing Iʼm looking for get stressed and obsessed. Will be late to something really important just to find the thing. Allow my brain to turn off

Leave things last minute so itʼs more of an emergency to get done. Tried in good time. Spend more time distracted

Have special places for my stuff so I always know where important stuff is. If it's not in it's place I haven't a clue where it is. Learned behaviour to stop the stress

Have a good visual memory, which helps me to find things if I've seen them around the house

Remember having mood swings as a child. Especially with computer games. Kicked my friends SNES cos I lost at SF2. Still feel bad lol

Find it hard to prioritise tasks

Find it hard to get comfortable when relaxing

Drift off in conversation with people

Sometimes insulted people at work if they donʼt get my point. Can't stop myself, and don't always realise why people take it personally.

Have got up and left jobs and college, uni lessons. Bored.

Can focus well after more extreme exercise

Useless with money. Debts etc

Become obsessed with things for a period. Have to buy something. Canʼt wait.

Feel overloaded with life. Spinning too many plates in my head. Hard to shut down if on with a project

Feel a panic to get stuff done as I know I will lose interest

Have to re read pages of books often as Iʼve zoned out. Unless Iʼm loving the book

Hate buses! Take too long. Make my blood boil.

Dream of adventure. Like to record long miles while exercising as personal challenges. Like to go against myself as I don't like to lose. Could be the failure?

Hyper focused on dissertation, building 3D model for 6 months straight. Spent 1 week writing it up. Got a 1st in the end.

Skipped lectures at uni as I was lost after 5 mins as I would think about other stuff

Like positive feedback on simplest of things. Keeps me more motivated

Have not patience for queuing at all!!!

Self doubt, but keep having another crack even though I think it will probably fail

Find it hard to try something new

Put off starting hard tasks

Like to be creative. Digital art and illustration

Get cross very easily, especially in car when others canʼt drive properly

Put off starting hard tasks

Like to be creative. Digital art and illustration

Get cross very easily, especially in car when others canʼt drive properly

Canʼt finish most stuff. Especially the last bits of any kind of project

Bad at any paperwork, remembering appointments etc Though use lists
and reminders

Impulse buying of bad food at times of low mood / depression

Bad anxiety when not on a project

Need time alone with my thoughts. Web designer and dog walker at the moment

Like to round people I can make laugh. Not good at serious people

Feel awkward in conversations with people I donʼt know as I can talk fast and talk rubbish. Ends up awkward.

Catalogue of unfinished project ideas as Iʼve got bored and moved onto new more exciting ideas

Doubt my intelligence, even though I have a degree in computing. And managed to revise for wrong exams at times

Canʼt focus on a task for long unless into it. Easily distracted. Can focus for a long time on stuff I like

Talk very fast and want to complete others sentences. Will interrupt to get my point out

Fidget a lot. Toss and turn at night

Have loads of comp games going at once.

Struggle to finish computer games. Get bored after the initial excitement

Love speed. Love flying on my mountain bike. I go trail riding.

Tend to take calculated risks when driving. Though I think I'm safe I often speed when I think the road is safe to. Don't like the rules sometimes LOL

Like to do small rebellious things for a bit of excitement

Tell myself I wonʼt drink, but then do to turn down my brain

Have to get my point out all at once as I might forget what I was going to say

Rubbish short term memory - canʼt do directions someone has told me

Want to talk in meetings to get my point across. Otherwise get too bored

Interrupting people when talking home, work and social

Skip text when reading. Donʼt finish news articles if long as I get bored

Read text backwards - so start magazines and paragraphs from the end and work forward

Very sensitive to noises like shouting and kids being high pitched. Though like fast heavy metal music?

Thanks if you made it this far. I probably wouldn't lol. Bit of long list, but it's a brain dump I did one night about 2am to get it out of my head.

Some feedback on if this sound all too familiar would be great, or if it doesn't sound like ADHD to you?

Many thanks

Rob
Old 02-17-20, 12:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,493 Times in 12,798 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Think I have ADHD. Here are my symptoms

I think it would be a very good idea to get an assessment for adhd.
Welcome to the forum.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 02-19-20, 06:06 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,250 Times in 15,416 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20350878
I thought this was a good general list.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-20, 10:38 PM

ADaptHD has a spectacular aura aboutADaptHD has a spectacular aura about

That's a pretty interesting list of symptoms. I think it's always insightful to see what symptoms people with ADHD (or suspected ADHD) list from their daily lives, beyond the textbook symptoms. And I'll point out that being able to draw up such an extensive list probably says something about your ability to hyperfocus.

Anyway, the combination of seeking rewards/stimulation, zoning out, impulsive decisions, and feeling overwhelmed does sound familiar -- but of course only a mental health professional can give an assessment.

I also found these two things next to each other a little funny:

Quote:
Hyper focused on dissertation, building 3D model for 6 months straight. Spent 1 week writing it up. Got a 1st in the end.
Quote:
Skipped lectures at uni as I was lost after 5 mins as I would think about other stuff
I'm the same way with academic stuff. Couldn't do lectures in college but can put a lot of energy into research projects.