ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-17, 04:01 PM
The Von Kaiser of Moderators

Johnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of light
Re: What Made You Smile Today?

So, between work, these classes I am taking (2 separate acting classes, an improv class, and a class focused on moving around in scenes which thankfully just ended yesterday), and other events I am trying to inveigle myself into, I've left myself without a great deal of "flex" time. So... as always seems to happen when I get busy, I'm starting to get creative urges again, and yesterday when my scene partner for one of my classes didn't show up, I found myself writing into a novel I'd started several years ago.

I had finished the first draft, a good spot to stop - in retrospect I had something like a fit of hyperfocus and wrote like half of it over a 2 week period after spending months on the first part - but wasn't ever really able to get restarted. The ADHD was *definitely* a blocker there. I do have to say that at least judging from the 4000 or so words I wrote yesterday, it feels like the acting classes and stuff have really, really helped as well - my writing at once felt a lot more dramatic in terms of hitting highs and lows (I noticed there was a lot more of me telling the reader "this person is angry right now" in the earlier draft, whereas my writing yesterday at least felt like I was showing it) and better in terms of the characters not being so one-notey in trying to get what they want in scenes (that I have acting classes to directly thank for).

So of course tonight I have pretty much zero time to write but I wanted to put this here and not the "things that bother you..." thread because truth be told, I'm incredibly thankful for the fact that I get to write narrative and create characters who do stuff that I'd love to read about. Maybe I'll never be able to publish this book, who knows, but man, it felt like far, far less of a duty and more like an actual fun experience than it's ever felt.

To tie this into ADHD... I've wanted to "be" a writer, whatever that means, for a long, long time, probably about as long as I've wanted to be an actor. And while acting was a thing I never really tried outside of a couple classes in HS and college due to nerves, writing *was* something I've been on-again and off-again with. On the one hand, in spite of the ADHD stereotype I enjoy reading and otherwise devouring narrative quite a bit, and when I can get myself to do it I enjoy writing it as well. On the other hand... well, there's ADHD. I always had to get myself into a very specific mindset to be able to just sit down for a couple/few hours a day and write. When I couldn't, or when my brain had any excuse to think about something else, it would. Now that I understand that this isn't just laziness or me secretly wanting to do something else or what have you, it does feel a little bit like a dam was broken and I can just... do it without feeling super judgmental about my inability to do it before, and at least yesterday the little voice that's sat alongside me in the past and told me I should just give up was not present.

Anyway, that is a lot of words about something that's relatively basic: yesterday I wrote a big chunk of narrative fiction for the first time in a couple years, and I felt really, really good about the experience. And I am thankful that I'm at a place in my life where that is possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Slick For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-21-17)
Old 08-21-17, 04:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,415 Times in 11,483 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I was beginning to wonder where you had Slicked off to.

Just as I walked out the door an elderly lady said, "Look! Two ambulances, I wonder what happened?"

And I blurted out with. "The nerve. And during the Eclipse."

She held her hand over her mouth and laughed and laughed with delight.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-21-17), stef (08-21-17)
Old 08-21-17, 04:36 PM

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Low diffuse light with no shadows.

Like being in Limbo, or some would-be-netherworld.

The Night-in-Day is dark, and full of terrors,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (08-26-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-17, 04:38 PM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
Low diffuse light with no shadows.

Like being in Limbo, or some would-be-netherworld.

The Night-in-Day is dark, and full of terrors,
Ian
its only for a minute, it never lasts long enough

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-22-17), psychopathetic (08-21-17), stef (08-21-17)
Old 08-21-17, 11:22 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,792 Times in 8,903 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Marathon fun & games sessions last night and tonight. Always enjoy the giggles and belly laugh side effects. Thanks, y'all.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-25-17), psychopathetic (08-22-17)
Old 08-25-17, 10:18 AM

aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

So today we are going to grill at noon, and everyone brought what was needed to pull it off.
  • D1 - the buns, and cheddar cheese
  • D2 - 2 kinds of rum, and Bacardi Limon
  • J1 - burgers and vegan burgers (and yes, two grills, never the twain shall meet)
  • J2 - brats ‘n’ buns ‘n’ kraut
  • J3 - Sierra Nevada Torpedo
  • J4 - potato salad and cole slaw
  • G - chips and dip
  • me - sriracha mayo, diced white onion + scallion, pepper jack cheese, sliced and deseeded tomatoes

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-25-17)
Old 08-25-17, 10:30 AM

My coworker J. just brought me a big iced latte.

She’s so sweet, but this cold cup of joe has no sugar.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 08-26-17, 05:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...03869016100217
Old 08-26-17, 06:25 PM
Well Modulated Moderator

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,193 Posts
amberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant future

Our little foster-lamb Bramble, meeting our hens by nudging each one in the rear with his nose. The hens were kinda outraged.
aeon (08-26-17), Little Missy (08-26-17), psychopathetic (08-27-17), stef (08-31-17)
Old 08-27-17, 12:08 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,087 Times in 7,513 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

I love how uppity hens act haha

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (08-31-17), stef (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 01:11 PM

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Smokey405 (09-01-17), stef (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 01:18 PM

what a relief both of mine are full.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-31-17), stef (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 02:48 PM

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-31-17), Smokey405 (09-01-17), stef (08-31-17)
Old 09-01-17, 06:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

Kaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to all

https://youtu.be/iozAFIr3BEw
Old 09-01-17, 07:34 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

farts...................