ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-16-17, 08:04 AM

JohnW1 is on a distinguished road
Adderall feels weird after eliminating sugar

Hi, I had a 4 month break from adderall after being on it for about 3y (10mg IR x3 day).

During my break , I had decided to fix my diet, by eliminating all added sugar and artificial sweeteners. That also included elimination of all processed foods.

After resuming adderall from my old script leftovers I have noticed this:

DAY 1 I took 10mg IR and after 1h I started to feel little anxious and unfocused, It felt like a really strong dose.

Day 2 I took 5mg in the morning and the anxiety was still there , but it was working little better.

Day 3 I took 2.5mg in the morning and it was working much better, but not as good as I remembered before the break..It just feels like a completely different medication.

After two month on adderrall and 6month sugar free, I'm still only on 2.5IR two times a day. I can feel it working,,,but it just feels weird. It is helping with calming my thoughts and focus, but there is some underling weird feeling , maybe little anxiety , it's hard to explain..

I had breaks from adderall before, but after resuming it was working just fine.

Could elimitation of sugar , mess up something in my brain or fix my brain to such extent that adderall just works and feels completly diferent as it used to ?

my doctor said, that adderall should work now even better then before, but it just feels weird.

Anybody has any experiences good/bad after changing their diet?
Thank you .
Old 12-16-17, 12:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,013 Times in 508 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future
Re: Adderall feels weird after eliminating sugar

Yes! I went off Adderall a couple of years ago after losing insurance. Partially in an attempt to do what I could to improve my overall health, I did exactly what you did - eliminated all sugar and processed carbs. I now eat a high protein, moderate to high fat, and very moderate complex carb diet.

Last month I got on insurance again and got set up with a new doc. The meds feel completely different to be now, not in a bad way, necessarily, but they definitely feel different.

You definitely did not screw up anything in your brain by eliminating sugar. Sugar is one of the most toxic, addictive, psychoactive drugs known to man and it has profound effects on your neurotransmitter levels. I think that eliminating it makes it much easier for the Adderall to do it's job, and thus needing to take less makes sense.
JohnW1 (12-17-17)
Old 12-17-17, 08:39 AM

JohnW1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall feels weird after eliminating sugar

I wish more people responded, I coudn't find anything scientific online.
Yesterday I took probably only 1.25mg x 2 times a day and it felt just about right dose for me.
Sponsored Links