ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 05-29-18, 11:20 AM

bellolio is on a distinguished road
starting internship, who should I tell or should I tell at all?

Hey, so I'm new to this forum but I would really like to get some advice about my internship.

I'm in med school at the moment, and I recently got my Bachelors degree (yay!), but now I will be starting my Masters. Where I'm from our Master is 3 years of "short" internships, mostly 8-12 weeks long. I just got an email with the date I will start training for my first internship. Now I'm wondering how my ADHD (and medication schedule) will fit in during these 3 years of internships. We will be asigned a mentor during our 3 years, and at every hospital we will get a contact for any questions or concerns.

To give you an idea of my ADHD, I got diagnosed about a year ago. Since then I have been on dexamfetamines, and they have helped me very much in my day to day life and also decently well with my studies. However, I have had some difficulty with knowing who to tell bout my ADHD or not. I tend to be very open about my life in general (even to people I don't really know), so most of the time I just tell some one if I feel like I would have to lie about it if I don't want them to know (not great at lying either). I tend to just kind of barf it out (if you understand what I mean), without any control.

So, I'm wondering what the best option is here. Should I tell my mentor straight away? Beacuse I really would like to know if it is ok for me to take my medication and how I could tell my supervisor at the hospital that I take meds. Should I tell the doctor in the hospital if it ever comes up in conversation? I just would really like to have someone that understands what it's like to do medical internships while on ADHD meds.

Sorry if this was al lot to read, just had to blurt it out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellolio For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (05-31-18), psychopathetic (05-31-18)
Old 05-31-18, 03:42 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of
Re: starting internship, who should I tell or should I tell at all?

Hi bellolio,

Welcome to the ADD forums!

I haven't always been this way, but I'm also pretty open now about most things in my life including my ADHD. I hate feeling that I have to keep secrets about myself and be on my guard against letting something slip out. But I'm in a fairly secure position right now and don't have to worry about what a boss or a professor or a work colleague might think about me. There aren't really any consequences for me if I do reveal that I have ADHD.

However, if I was in your kind of situation here in the US (I don't know if things would be similar in the Netherlands), I think that I would be much more careful in revealing something like this, at least until I got to know my mentor or my supervisor a lot better. And being in medical school is very competitive in the US, too, so I wouldn't want do anything that would give my fellow students an edge. I wouldn't want to be passed over in favor of someone else because a supervisor or anyone else in authority has some doubts about my competence because they know that I have ADHD. That's what I would do in a situation like yours here in the US.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (05-31-18)
Old 05-31-18, 04:09 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,743 Times in 7,346 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, welcome to the forums .

I'm just like you in that I'm open and tell people things about me all the time too without thinking it through haha. To be honest, it's very rarely led to anything bad though. I just like being open and honest with people! I don't like hiding things from them and I want them to know that I trust them. That I respect them.

I really like SailinMan's suggestion here...to get to know your mentor/supervisor a bit more before revealing this about yourself. Give it a week or 2...see how sensitive he seems. If you still feel safe in revealing it to him, then go with your guts .

Good luck, and congrats on the internship!!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (05-31-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-18, 07:58 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,936 Times in 14,760 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Personally? I would say nothing. You want to be evaluated on your skills and not "oh she is doing so well even though she has adhd". Its no ones business that you take medication..go to the bathroom and take it if need be. Unless you have to pass a drug test, you would just bring your prescription bottle with you so the lab knows they will find amphetamine in your screen. And even then I dont think they have to tell anyone since its legal.

Time and time again I have heard of people being discriminated against due to adhd. Even people who had understanding bosses have experienced it. JMO.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (05-31-18), psychopathetic (05-31-18)
Old 05-31-18, 11:41 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Time and time again I have heard of people being discriminated against due to adhd. Even people who had understanding bosses have experienced it. JMO.
One of the problems is that personal information, once revealed to anyone, has a way of getting out. So, even if someone tells their understanding boss that they have ADHD, he/she will probably end up telling someone else eventually, and before you know it, everyone at work will know. I've had a good friend swear to me that they would never tell anyone else something I told them in confidence but eventually they did. People like to gossip.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-18, 02:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

I would generally avoid telling them about your ADHD, if possible.

I suggest that you just keep taking your meds responsibly (preferably during a place/time that's quiet/private). If people are nosy, just tell them that you are taking your prescription meds.

Since you're in a hospital, use common sense to make sure your meds don't get lost or stolen. And check to see if your hospital has a policy about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-18, 04:32 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

I would also say nothing. I told my ex boss right before he left and in that short time I was already having things be blamed on my illnesses. **** me off to no end. Well, lesson learned. Legally you don't have to tell them, in the US anyway. If you need accommodations or want to have ADA paperwork in in case something happens regarding your illness and not being able to work, for instance, then I would contact the HR department and still say nothing to actual coworkers.
Old 05-31-18, 04:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,555 Times in 856 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I would not say anything to anyone. If it all starts to go bad at some point maybe then tell but only if it will help you. You'll have to research the policies and laws regarding ADHD in your country and school.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.