ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-17, 12:19 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all
Re: Good thoughts please

That is pretty early in the day - stay safe...At least it isn't the sirens going off. We fared OK here...strong winds and power outages, but nothing more. It looked like something worse was coming but there was sun peeking thru the clouds after an hour.

I ended up moving from TX because the stress of the springtime /early summer twirly season was getting to be too much. And we were south of Tornado Alley.

I remember those tv weather people liked to exaggerate the danger, just to do the CYA thing. Once in a while mother nature did pull a fast one on them.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Bill For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-19-17)
Old 05-19-17, 12:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,929 Times in 11,074 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bill View Post
That is pretty early in the day - stay safe...At least it isn't the sirens going off. We fared OK here...strong winds and power outages, but nothing more. It looked like something worse was coming but there was sun peeking thru the clouds after an hour.

I ended up moving from TX because the stress of the springtime /early summer twirly season was getting to be too much. And we were south of Tornado Alley.

I remember those tv weather people liked to exaggerate the danger, just to do the CYA thing. Once in a while mother nature did pull a fast one on them.
I don't know about Texas, but the weather folks here don't exaggerate.
I'm glad that we have advanced warnings these days because I grew up
when the weather guys said stuff like "Sun tomorrow" and then it would rain
or snow.)

This was before cable tv or even satellite dish (yes I'm that old). My dad built
a tower for the tv antenna that was way taller than the house. One day a
storm blew in and lightning hit that tower, travelled down it and into the
house, blowing out the light switch next to the front door, the outlets on the
wall, the tv set in the corner, the outlets next to the tv, travelled into the
plumbing on the other side of the pass-through and into the water in the sink
where mom was washing dishes, and ended up in my little brother who was
standing behind her holding onto her.

Contrast that scenario 55 years ago with the 15 minute warning my home
town had 10 years ago when an F5 tornado devastaged 95% of the town.
The house I grew up in ... gone, matchsticks ... except for the stairway my
dad built from the ground floor to the second floor. Left sticking up at an
angle in the middle of the rubble. Over a thousand people in that town and
only 10 died because they had enough warning to find shelter.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (05-19-17)
Old 05-19-17, 01:00 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,395 Times in 11,933 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

What's tornado alley? sounds scary, whatever it is
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-19-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-17, 01:31 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
What's tornado alley? sounds scary, whatever it is
Tornado Alley is a cluster of several states in the middle of the US where the
most tornados are reported. Kansas takes the "honor" of having had the most
F5 tornados in the country (that's the most extreme and most damaging kind).

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-19-17), midnightstar (05-19-17), namazu (05-19-17)
Old 05-19-17, 01:33 PM

Quote:

The military has their own weather guys, and when they decide to move
planes from our local airbase to South Dakota, the odds are good that we
could have a significant weather event. Whew. Glad they weren't right.

Old 05-19-17, 02:03 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all

I take that back...I was in Tornado Alley according to that map. About where the "a" in Texas is. I hear you about the Army and gov't really knowing what is going on. Here when there is snow predicted and you see the state salt trucks out there pretreating, you know, no matter what weather.com says, there is going to be some frozen precipitation coming.

I spent from 2006 - 2014 in tornado alley following and leading oversize loads. I was to be barely out of harms way for many storms. My town was on a "mesa" and the twisters went either north or south of us although there were a lot of shingles and roofs replaced in town when there was a close one. I've seen my share of funnel clouds and really don't want to see another one.

May you have good non tornadic weather for the rest of the season.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DJ Bill For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-19-17), Lunacie (05-19-17), namazu (05-19-17), stef (05-19-17)
Old 05-19-17, 06:05 PM

First tornado sighted for this evening, about 60 miles west of us.

Long line of storms, moving north-northeast, so we may or may not be impacted.

Meterologists are starting to sound hoarse from talking so much for the last
several days.

Lots of clean up taking place around Kansas today from last night's storms.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (05-19-17)
Old 05-19-17, 06:07 PM

Thanked 19,578 Times in 10,418 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
First tornado sighted for this evening, about 60 miles west of us.

Long line of storms, moving north-northeast, so we may or may not be impacted.

Meterologists are starting to sound hoarse from talking so much for the last
several days.

Lots of clean up taking place around Kansas today from last night's storms.
Keep that bra on! Wear two just in case!

You all think I'm kidding but I'm not. You'd hate being on the news without one.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-19-17)
Old 05-19-17, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Keep that bra on! Wear two just in case!

You all think I'm kidding but I'm not. You'd hate being on the news without one.
I'd rather be on the news alive with no bra than dead without one, but no fear
I have my bra on! Don't have my shoes on yet, but they're close by. Along with
the pet taxi for the little guys.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-19-17), Unmanagable (05-19-17)
Old 05-19-17, 06:24 PM

I got a little frazzled last night and forgot to thank all your lovely posts.
All taken care of now. I do appreciate your good thoughts and posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-19-17), Unmanagable (05-19-17)
Old 05-19-17, 06:24 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,717 Times in 8,868 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I'm pretty sure I'd be a nervous damn wreck if I had to live there. More power to y'all who do. Whew! Still giggling at LM's suggestion, but damn if she doesn't have a good point. lol

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-19-17), Lunacie (05-19-17)
Old 05-19-17, 06:34 PM

One fairly large storm, several funnels and a couple of touchdowns reported
in various parts of the storm.

Heading for a place where I have family living. I'm keeping good thoughts for
them.

Old 05-19-17, 06:44 PM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
One fairly large storm, several funnels and a couple of touchdowns reported
in various parts of the storm.

Heading for a place where I have family living. I'm keeping good thoughts for
them.
Go, Loons, Go! Be careful!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-20-17)
Old 05-20-17, 11:46 AM

At least 7 tornado touch downs reported last night, at least this time no towns
were hit. We live in a suburb on the east side of a city and the storms didn't
quite make it to the west side of the city, so again we escaped having to run
to the storm shelter.

This time the cold front won, so the weekend should be storm free, although
it's gone from needing the AC on to needing to wear a light jacket. A quiet
weather weekend will be welcome.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-20-17), namazu (05-20-17), psychopathetic (05-20-17)
Old 05-20-17, 12:04 PM

There is no place like home.

That makes me cry every time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-20-17), namazu (05-20-17)