ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 05-09-11, 02:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

nevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of light
living off the government ADHD

can an unemployed person with ADHD and a bunch of other psychological problems qualify for welfare assistance in the US?

I have nothing to lose, really.

No reputation to tarnish.

No career to waste

No dreams to shatter.
Old 05-09-11, 02:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,325 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation
Re: living off the government ADHD

My first pyschiatrist worked with inner city black kids. They had some counselors set up the paperwork and these kids pretty much got free ritalin and anti-deps.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheChemicals For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-09-11)
Old 05-09-11, 02:43 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

nevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChemicals View Post
My first pyschiatrist worked with inner city black kids. They had some counselors set up the paperwork and these kids pretty much got free ritalin and anti-deps.
Oh, no. I am not talking about free meds.

I am talking about the type of assistance the government gives to people who are mentally ill and unable to take care of themselves.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-11, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Oh, no. I am not talking about free meds.

I am talking about the type of assistance the government gives to people who are mentally ill and unable to take care of themselves.
oh yeh they do. I was taken care of at a state ward for nearly 3 years. Was perfect, no responsibilty and free room and board. Best of all, they gave you anxiety meds and anti-deps. Was truly a great place when your down n out.
nevermore (05-09-11)
Old 05-09-11, 02:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

puddlediver will become famous soon enough

i am unemployed and my healthcare is paid for by the government. all doctor's visits and meds and everything.

if i could not take care of myself, then the government would pay for me to live in either a halfway house or a group home.

but i can take care of myself so i live in a regular house with my family.
nevermore (05-09-11)
Old 05-09-11, 02:55 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
oh yeh they do. I was taken care of at a state ward for nearly 3 years. Was perfect, no responsibilty and free room and board. Best of all, they gave you anxiety meds and anti-deps. Was truly a great place when your down n out.
For nearly 3 years? And then what happened?
Old 05-09-11, 03:00 PM

Quote:
For nearly 3 years? And then what happened?
i hooked up with the counselor girl. We live together now. Sooooo bored of her though. Love her though
nevermore (05-09-11)
Old 05-09-11, 03:03 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
i hooked up with the counselor girl. We live together now. Sooooo bored of her though. Love her though
Really? You hooked up with your counselor or just a counselor?
Old 05-09-11, 08:24 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,148 Times in 1,772 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

The short, non-judgemental answer is yes ... with difficulty.

If you have a proven disability due to a psychiatric disorder then you are eligible for either Supplemental Security Income (SSI) if you do not have a work history or Social Security Disability (SSDI) if you do. (I recently qualified for SSDI).

That's the good news.

The bad news is that the application process takes time. You can expect your first claim to be denied. You will have to then ask for a reconsideration and quite possible will have to file an appeal before your claim is accepted. This takes time, waits up to 2 years are not unusual. Needless to say you will have to live on something in the meantime.

There are states -- hopefully you live in one -- that will pay you a small cash stipend and provide medical care while you are waiting for your Social Security claim to be resolved.

At the minimum you are eligible for food stamps. Go to your local public assistance office and apply for them. While you are there also apply for any services that your state provides. You have to start somewhere.

Quote:
can an unemployed person with ADHD and a bunch of other psychological problems qualify for welfare assistance in the US?

I have nothing to lose, really.

No reputation to tarnish.

No career to waste

No dreams to shatter.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (05-11-11)
Old 05-09-11, 08:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retromancer View Post
The short, non-judgemental answer is yes ... with difficulty.

If you have a proven disability due to a psychiatric disorder then you are eligible for either Supplemental Security Income (SSI) if you do not have a work history or Social Security Disability (SSDI) if you do. (I recently qualified for SSDI).

That's the good news.

The bad news is that the application process takes time. You can expect your first claim to be denied. You will have to then ask for a reconsideration and quite possible will have to file an appeal before your claim is accepted. This takes time, waits up to 2 years are not unusual. Needless to say you will have to live on something in the meantime.

There are states -- hopefully you live in one -- that will pay you a small cash stipend and provide medical care while you are waiting for your Social Security claim to be resolved.

At the minimum you are eligible for food stamps. Go to your local public assistance office and apply for them. While you are there also apply for any services that your state provides. You have to start somewhere.
very true. they will also give you health insurance. in PA you can only get cash benefits if you show proof you are looking for a job.
Old 05-09-11, 11:36 PM
Contributor

dopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nicedopestep is just really nice

....so you want us to work hard and give up our tax money so that you can live off of the gov for free because you feel like giving up?

Good luck. i hope they refuse you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dopestep For This Useful Post:
dsvlil1 (05-10-11), tudorose (05-10-11)
Old 05-10-11, 12:56 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,764 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

Most people are not on SSI/SSDI just because they happened to feel like giving up. The application process winnows out most of the slackers. The people with ADHD who get government assistance have very severe cases - so severe that they can't work.

If you don't like that our society provides at least a small safety net for the most vulnerable portion of our population, you could always move to Rwanda.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (05-19-17), salleh (05-10-11)
Old 05-10-11, 12:59 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,537 Times in 1,944 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopestep View Post
....so you want us to work hard and give up our tax money so that you can live off of the gov for free because you feel like giving up?

Good luck. i hope they refuse you
No doubt everyone will start giving dopestep a bollocking for this as that's what always happens.

Thing about these sorts of threads is that while everyone's carrying on about what he government gives them, others struggle to work for a living and deal with the work issues that being an ADHDers presents, and come to the forum for some support only to see threads like this. It kind of feels like a slap in the face. It feels like well I'm trying my heart out and you're just taking and rubbing our noses in it.

Don't get me wrong there are a lot of people who do need disability but in Australia the disability recipients has blown out to be 50% more than the unemployment recipients. Those figures just don't seem right.

What I do think is that if you are going to claim disability give something back too like how Crazygirl does with her volunteer work with the RSPCA and animal shelters. You never see her on here saying she's given up. She's always trying to do something (anything - studying, working) and give something back and she never gives up. I'm happy to support someone with that attitude but I feel somewhat aggreived when people get on here and start saying they can't be bothered anymore or that they 'need something to do with their time whilst on disability' (I found that thread a while back to be the most offensive).

That's why I suggested that we have a separate forum for work issues and non-work issues within the careers section but it got met with a fairly terse response as I've now come to expect.

To be blunt when I'm struggling with work issues because of my ADHD the last thing I want to see is people lording it over us that they've got disability.

EVERYONE is capable of giving something back. It just seems that disability is a lifestyle choice for some who are capable of more and who are quite happy to let the working adhders pick up the slack of full time plus volunteer work while they do nothing.

If you can't deal with people because of your ADHD then take a leaf out of Crazygirl's book and do something with animals. Just give something back.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tudorose For This Useful Post:
demfabbones (05-11-11), dsvlil1 (05-10-11), psychopathetic (05-16-17), salleh (05-10-11)
Old 05-10-11, 01:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Most people are not on SSI/SSDI just because they happened to feel like giving up. The application process winnows out most of the slackers. The people with ADHD who get government assistance have very severe cases - so severe that they can't work.

If you don't like that our society provides at least a small safety net for the most vulnerable portion of our population, you could always move to Rwanda.
that's true.

the other day i got a letter from social security saying that if i were to become eligible right now, i would get 900 a month. not only can you not live on that - but the amount you get each month is based on how much you made each year.

i worked for 13 years - from the age of 15 til i was 29. i averaged 25,000 a year.

i shudder to think what the monthly benefit would be for somebody who really didn't work all that much.
Old 05-10-11, 02:36 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,764 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post

Thing about these sorts of threads is that while everyone's carrying on about what he government gives them, others struggle to work for a living and deal with the work issues that being an ADHDers presents, and come to the forum for some support only to see threads like this. It kind of feels like a slap in the face. It feels like well I'm trying my heart out and you're just taking and rubbing our noses in it.
My hat is off to you for managing to earn a living despite your ADHD. I know all too well how difficult that is. ADHD can manifest itself all across the spectrum from mild to severe. Just because those who can't work ask if any help is available to them, that question is NOT a slap in the face of our more able members. It sounds to me that you just don't believe ADHD can be so severe as to interfere with functioning in the work place.

Take it from me, it can. I have been ADD all my life and up until my late 40's, I was able to compensate for it and hold down very responsible jobs. Unfortunately, when I was 47 I went through a year of chronic carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty home furnace. I had no idea what was happening - only that I was less and less capable of functioning. I was eventually forced to go on disability because the CO poisoning had made my ADHD symptoms so severe. I considered being forced onto disability a major defeat in my life.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong there are a lot of people who do need disability but in Australia the disability recipients has blown out to be 50% more than the unemployment recipients. Those figures just don't seem right.
I am woefully ignorant of the Australian situation and cannot comment on it.

Quote:
What I do think is that if you are going to claim disability give something back too like how Crazygirl does with her volunteer work with the RSPCA and animal shelters. You never see her on here saying she's given up. She's always trying to do something (anything - studying, working) and give something back and she never gives up. I'm happy to support someone with that attitude but I feel somewhat aggreived when people get on here and start saying they can't be bothered anymore or that they 'need something to do with their time whilst on disability' (I found that thread a while back to be the most offensive).
Unless those on disability choose to post about what they may be doing, you have no idea of what is going on with most of us. Such sweeping generalizations as yours only create animosity on the board. The disabled here are under no requirement to explain their personal lives to a bunch of strangers on the Internet just so you won't be "offended."

Quote:
To be blunt when I'm struggling with work issues because of my ADHD the last thing I want to see is people lording it over us that they've got disability.

EVERYONE is capable of giving something back. It just seems that disability is a lifestyle choice for some who are capable of more and who are quite happy to let the working adhders pick up the slack of full time plus volunteer work while they do nothing.
Please give an example of someone "lording" it because they are on disability. I have been on this board for almost a year, and I have read no such posts. Personally, I am very envious of those able to work. I'd give anything to get off disability and the disabled people I know feel the same as I do.

And again, you have no idea what the disabled members of this board may be doing. I resent being told that I "do nothing" and am "quite happy" to "let working adhders pick up the slack."

It's bad enough that most NTers don't understand us, it is far worse when one of our own attacks us on a support board.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
demfabbones (05-11-11), ginniebean (05-19-17), Hyperman87 (05-10-11), salleh (05-10-11)