ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-11, 05:18 PM

jadamgo is on a distinguished road
Ways to turn on hyperactivity when needed

As is common with growing ADHDers, I have less and less trouble with hyperactivity as the years go by. In fact, sometimes I want to intentionally trigger some hyperactivity for the times it comes in handy, such as mornings when I can't wake up, or when it's time to exercise.

It makes sense that if there are ways to calm hyperactivity down (such as deep breathing or exercising the energy away), there are also ways to activate it. Who has suggestions?
The Following User Says Thank You to jadamgo For This Useful Post:
Song of Mercy (07-24-11)
Old 06-04-11, 09:20 PM

Tamsin will become famous soon enough
Re: Ways to turn on hyperactivity when needed

I don't really have hyperactivity as I have always been pretty calm, but I find when I turn music on I literally can't sit still. I have to clean or cook or do something other than surf the internet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamsin For This Useful Post:
Song of Mercy (07-24-11), spunkysmum (02-28-12)
Old 07-24-11, 09:02 AM
Jr Member

Space Sphere is on a distinguished road

First off, I don't have a whole lot of experience. I'm starting to come to grips with ADHD and I'm 26

what helps me is making various playlists. And honestly, the hyperactivity allows you to only multitask better, but the quality of work done in this time just TANKS because of it.

Thanks to Itunes allowing me to get my organizational OCD on; I've constructed playlists in ways that manipulate hyperactivity or tone is down enough that I can focus on something.

I'd suggest running through your collection of music and seeing which music gets you amped (if you have the 'hyperactivity bug' songs that get you amped are EASY to pick out). The tricky part is finding mellow music that you can listen to the whole way through. My suggestion is to find mellow music that have NO LYRICS. To me, lyrics tend to snag my attention away from what I'm trying to focus on to begin with, but I have found some that DO have lyrics that I'm able to not get 'snagged' by.

There's notable exceptions to everything.

And it's all up to your music taste too. I get amped from listening to a few indy No-Wave bands. To most, it sounds like uncoordinated noise and garbage. I feel if I want the hyperactivity, I'm going to feed the frenetic monster some frenetic ambiance.

The thing is that, thanks to the fickle nature of ADHD, you'll end up having to make constant small updates to your playlists here and there. But I have found that music can manipulate it a bit.

I'm also NOT medicated (one of the few)
The Following User Says Thank You to Space Sphere For This Useful Post:
Song of Mercy (07-24-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-11, 09:06 AM
Contributor

Amanda B has disabled reputation

I can't switch willingly. It just comes when it wants to
The Following User Says Thank You to Amanda B For This Useful Post:
Song of Mercy (07-24-11)
Old 07-24-11, 09:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,516 Times in 5,691 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Im hyper most of the time I cant sit still for squat Im like a wound up robot.I go from 1 thing to another.probably why half the time I get zilch done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Amanda B (07-24-11), Song of Mercy (07-24-11)
Old 07-24-11, 09:22 AM

Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,638 Posts
Song of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant future

I think walking may help with this also. I know walking in the am gives me an overall boost of motivation all day.
Old 07-24-11, 09:25 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,478 Times in 12,301 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

My hyperactivity manifests itself as my mind going a million miles a minute with my thoughts jumping from one thing to another and unfortunately I have no control over it.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (04-24-12), tired1823 (07-24-11)
Old 07-24-11, 04:25 PM

Thanked 10,516 Times in 5,691 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

1 I get hyper look out its hard for me to come down and calm down,Ill be off the wall literally for hours.Like rush manic hyper where Ill act like an idiot to try to get a laugh
Old 10-24-11, 12:23 PM

Gnosis is on a distinguished road

I used to be incredibly hyperactive when I was a child (girl here too!)

I used to literally jump off the top of our refrigerator and I used to regularly move (when I was a kid) my stacked formica bedroom bookshelves...

I also used to dance like Crazy.. and sit in our swivel chair and go round and round until I was dizzy (I guess I liked the "high").

I danced and danced up into my 20's but then when I hit 30.. I had apt's where I didn't feel I had enough privacy to really dance... and now.. I have put on about 30 lb's and I can't bring my energy up enough to dance. (except when I go to see a good band .. which is now rare).

Now.. I feel myself moving my leg incessently at work... I feel like I am in a straighjacket and it makes me really uptight.

I tend to bottle up the energy and let it out in emotional ways...

I sometimes will get out on a swing.. but that is hard too as they discourage adults from using child playground equipment.

It isn't dignified to go running across a field for no reason..

When I was in HS I lost all my friends because I used to dance to the stereo in the lunchroom... (why it was ok for the Seniors to have a stereo on and dance to it and not myself.. I cannot fathom). They literally sat me down en masse and said they no longer wanted to be my friends because I looked like I was "on drugs"...

so.. yeah.. I am a freaky woman with lots of pent up energy.
Old 02-28-12, 09:23 AM
Jr Member

Warder will become famous soon enough

Not dignified to go running across a field? Why wouldn't it be? I'm mad enough to do it just because. And I'll even do silly things while I'm at it

But seriously, I use parkour to manage my energy levels. They've been out of control the last few weeks as I've not had time to train

I would REALLY love to know how to harness my hyperactivity and all the other goodies we get, but beyond being able to force myself past the boundaries of exhaustion, I've not had much luck in recent years.

Going to keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone has ideas I'll post some as I get them, to be sure.
Old 02-28-12, 10:06 AM

Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,490 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnosis View Post
I used to be incredibly hyperactive when I was a child (girl here too!)

I used to literally jump off the top of our refrigerator and I used to regularly move (when I was a kid) my stacked formica bedroom bookshelves...

I also used to dance like Crazy.. and sit in our swivel chair and go round and round until I was dizzy (I guess I liked the "high").

I danced and danced up into my 20's but then when I hit 30.. I had apt's where I didn't feel I had enough privacy to really dance... and now.. I have put on about 30 lb's and I can't bring my energy up enough to dance. (except when I go to see a good band .. which is now rare).

Now.. I feel myself moving my leg incessently at work... I feel like I am in a straighjacket and it makes me really uptight.

I tend to bottle up the energy and let it out in emotional ways...

I sometimes will get out on a swing.. but that is hard too as they discourage adults from using child playground equipment.

It isn't dignified to go running across a field for no reason..

When I was in HS I lost all my friends because I used to dance to the stereo in the lunchroom... (why it was ok for the Seniors to have a stereo on and dance to it and not myself.. I cannot fathom). They literally sat me down en masse and said they no longer wanted to be my friends because I looked like I was "on drugs"...

so.. yeah.. I am a freaky woman with lots of pent up energy.
Wow, what a bunch of boring losers your old friends sound. Probably a good thing you were detached from their company.
Old 02-28-12, 12:47 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,478 Times in 12,301 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warder View Post
Not dignified to go running across a field? Why wouldn't it be? I'm mad enough to do it just because. And I'll even do silly things while I'm at it

But seriously, I use parkour to manage my energy levels. They've been out of control the last few weeks as I've not had time to train

I would REALLY love to know how to harness my hyperactivity and all the other goodies we get, but beyond being able to force myself past the boundaries of exhaustion, I've not had much luck in recent years.

Going to keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone has ideas I'll post some as I get them, to be sure.
I think because by definition adhd is measured by impairment then hyperactivity would have to have a negative impact on your life right? If you want to be hyperactive then maybe its not a symptom of your adhd?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 02-28-12, 06:13 PM

Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,325 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

I love my hyperactivity because i have internalized it most of my life to pretend i was normal. Now it just doesnt matter.

I can trigger my hyperactiveness when im around the right energy of people/person. They have to be similar to me, its almost like an empathic link. Another thing that helps me trigger it is when something positive happens and i use that momentum.

For example: today i was at a training course and the teacher was asking for volunteers to do a mock trial. Nobody wanted to participate so i ended up volunteering. I did a good job and told a joke that had everyone rolling, and from then on...my hyperactiveness was on 100%.

The only problem is that an hour later i got home and passed out for an hour, i was exhausted. Drunk with hyperness and positive energy. Regulation of emotions and energy is just too wild an unpedictable for us. When i was younger i wouldnt pass out like i did today, but instead would kinda shut down and be very impersonal. Exhaustion....
plank80 (02-28-12)
Old 02-28-12, 06:40 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

plank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of light

Same as above, I try keep my hyperactivity to myself but I'm really fidgetty and restless all the time. I feel like I'm trapped and about to burst out of my skin sometimes. I don't find it useful at all.

As I've got older I let it out more, though I can't see why you would want to bring it on, it does my head in. I wreck myself excercise all the time cos I can't stop and go too fast and hard. Talking too fast and interrupting people annoys me as well.

For me there is nothing I can do to bring myself down, I just have to ride it out. Right now I want to go to bed but I can't, my legs bouncing, minds going million miles a second and it's gonna take about 4 hours to get to sleep, why would you want to bring that on? It's not good any time of the day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plank80 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-28-12), TheChemicals (02-28-12)
Old 02-28-12, 07:41 PM

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,492 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamsin View Post
I don't really have hyperactivity as I have always been pretty calm, but I find when I turn music on I literally can't sit still. I have to clean or cook or do something other than surf the internet.
Good thinking. Music flips a switch in me as well especially if I have headphones on.