ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 08-18-11, 07:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute
Shame

I'll be honest, I am completely geeked out and stressed out. Please excuse me if I am repeating myself...

ok, so on Monday I asked a cowrker to explain what exactly she meant when she used a certain word... review. I asked her what she meant when she used the word review. What I was hearing was an implied statement to do her work for her. BUT I was trying to be fair, and ask her what she meant. (although, I admit I told her what I thought she meant) She lost it. Came over to my desk and started yelling at me.... "everybody gets it but you. It's not that ****ing hard!"

a few coworkers heard it, and reported it to a higher up. Then the higher up called me to their office, asked me about it. I told them what happened. They asked if I told my manager. "no. she was sitting right there. what's she going to do?" are you going to tell her/why didn't you tell her? "no. she won't do anything about it. this has happened before. it's nothing new."

FFW to today. I heard some other people get called to the higher up's office. (i literally heard it. i have radar like hearing)

Then I hear whispering about what was discussed in the higher up's office.... I just put on my headphones. I felt ashamed, tense, and scared all day. WTF IS THAT ABOUT???? i didn't do anything wrong.... why do i feel shame? that doesn't even make sense! I see now, that I have been tying myself up in knots with SHAME for years.... I blame myself for things that aren't even in my control.

thoughts, experiences, wisdom, commiseration; it's all welcome. (well every thing except for finger pointing and shaming)
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-18-11), angora (08-18-11), anonymouslyadd (08-19-11), buddy (08-19-11), Nifferka (08-19-11), Scarlet O (08-20-11), speculative (08-21-11), Unmanagable (08-18-11)
Old 08-18-11, 08:01 PM

Thanked 13,639 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shame

If you're taking finger pointing and shaming off the table...

You need to remember that you didn't cause this drama. Your co-worker did.

Doormats don't DO drama. They like things to run exactly as they *should*. Tapestry on the other hand, recognizes that people have to own their sh*t and if that causes some drama... oh well.

You need to recognize that standing up for yourself was going to have more than one moving part and that this discomfort is part of the ride. More importantly, you need to be willing to value yourself enough to let the drama do what it is doing- happen without your input.

Let me say this again... YOU DIDN'T CAUSE THIS!!!

The BB is doing what a good boss should. She is recognizing and validating that the situation exists. She is taking appropriate steps to resolve it. For all you know, she's been itching to fire these yodas for ages and now has the cause she needed.

Whatever. Repeat after me, "Not my pig, not my farm." I used that line so often in my career that I started hearing it repeated to me.

(((hugs))) It's never easy to be a tapestry. But consider the rich colors and magnificent pictures.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
angora (08-18-11), BR549 (08-20-11), buddy (08-19-11), cattail (08-19-11), Impetus (08-18-11), metzfanaz (08-18-11), Unmanagable (08-18-11)
Old 08-18-11, 09:36 PM

Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDTigger View Post
If you're taking finger pointing and shaming off the table...

You need to remember that you didn't cause this drama. Your co-worker did.

Doormats don't DO drama. They like things to run exactly as they *should*. Tapestry on the other hand, recognizes that people have to own their sh*t and if that causes some drama... oh well.

You need to recognize that standing up for yourself was going to have more than one moving part and that this discomfort is part of the ride. More importantly, you need to be willing to value yourself enough to let the drama do what it is doing- happen without your input.

Let me say this again... YOU DIDN'T CAUSE THIS!!!

The BB is doing what a good boss should. She is recognizing and validating that the situation exists. She is taking appropriate steps to resolve it. For all you know, she's been itching to fire these yodas for ages and now has the cause she needed.

Whatever. Repeat after me, "Not my pig, not my farm." I used that line so often in my career that I started hearing it repeated to me.

(((hugs))) It's never easy to be a tapestry. But consider the rich colors and magnificent pictures.
there was another manager that tried to fire my boss about 5 years ago.... I bailed her out then because I believed in her. well maybe I believed I needed her. I have been chafing under her 'wing' for a couple years now. on a certain level I knew what she was doing, and I wanted out. I didn't have anything factual, just instinct.

I have no doubt the bully twisted the story some way, some how. BUT I have another witness that I am 'holding back' until the bully gives her side of the story. (that probably looks ugly, but it's office politics. and office politics isn't a court of law, and it's not fair) still, I am a little bit scared of how I will react. it's embarassing to be socially inept. my specualtion is that i'll be accused of provoking the situation. if i did, it wasn't intentional. i don't skirt issues b/c i think it's just plain rude.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-18-11), buddy (08-19-11), speculative (08-18-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-11, 10:42 PM

Thanked 13,639 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Help me understand how a request for clarification is provocation.

I may have actually written the book on office politics. I get how things can go.

Go read this: http://marilee.us/desiderata.html

The loud and vexatious have their story but often fail to understand that they are not the whole story.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with recognizing that you aren't following or need a moment or need something repeated. Those things aren't evidence of being socially inept. They are evidence of being wholly in the situation and completely engaged. Period.

My trick for those tense moments? I heard a speaker years ago talk about the power of reminding yourself to be in the present moment. "Be here now" was the phrase she used. Verbalize it, think it, spell it out. Find a way to remind yourself that you need to be in the present.

Now that you are there, TAKE TIME. Regulate your breathing and compartmentalize your tail off. How you FEEL won't be important.

DO NOT TAKE A MEETING ON THIS ISSUE WHEN YOU ARE AT THE END OF YOUR MED!!! Negotiate a time that works better for you. If you are a smoker, a nicotine lozenge is your friend. A cup of coffee or tea is good.

Look up "reflective listening" or "reflective communication". The process helps to take the issue out of the emotional realm and keep it where it is cut and dried. It forces you to reflect what you hear and what you understand.

If asked WHY you wanted clarification, remember that your reasons are valid. A review can be a quick once-over or significantly more in-depth. One would be a reasonable request while the other is a time/priority issue. It's okay to make the point that an in-depth review would keep you from accomplishing tasks on your priority list.

The bully probably tried her best to make you look like dirt. My guess is that BB had her number going in and every effort Bully made to throw dirt on you was noted... by BB. In the interest of workplace poo-poo it is *possibly* necessary to have a sit down with the two of you. Remember that your perception that this has all been happening in a vacuum is YOURS. You don't know what all BB sees or understands.

Finally, STAY ON TOPIC!!! In a case like this there is a strong temptation to bring up a whole "kitchen sink" of issues and examples. Fight the urge. Stay solid on what is being discussed. If anyone BUT the BB tries to bring in other issues, re-direct back to the subject- "We can certainly discuss that later but this is the issue at hand." Or my favorite- "I'm hearing you say that XYZ is important. Let's note that for the Parking Lot so that we remember that it needs additional discussion (while writing a note). Back to..."

As a PM people either loved me or hated me. Haters were generally those people who got called on their sh*t.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
angora (08-18-11), BR549 (08-20-11), buddy (08-19-11), Impetus (08-19-11), speculative (08-18-11), Unmanagable (08-18-11)
Old 08-19-11, 12:18 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,661 Times in 787 Posts
Simenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant future

you know impetus, this crap always happens to me too. I found out that it possible to be both very intelligent while having a processing speed disorder. I also discovered that I am one of those ADHD's with both high iq and slow processing. So I ALWAYS ask for clarification and people ALWAYS assume that I am stupid... until I start asking them if they agree with Hebert Marcuse's discussion of the fallibility of science or Heidegger on dialectics. I notice the blank stare, like deer caught in a headlight when I try to explain my work on the concept the inherent beauty of entropy and decay and how chaos is a non-lineal entity.

One of the things we have as ADHD's is the ability to see what is not there;to see beyond the empirical into the theoretical. It threatens some people ... especially those who mistake a slower processor for deficient processing power.

You need to take a deep breath and quit hyperfocusing on the abominable co-worker. You likely have an employee assistance plan. If you do, access it to ask for some strategies. Using a work based resource will prove to everyone that you are making a genuine effort, while the co-worker is not. Try to keep those emotions in check, use some of the advise given to me in that talk first thread, including your own.

Check postings at work for an x-fer if possible. Chances are you won't change the co-workers behavior. And just keep coming here for support. It sure helped me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Simenora For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-19-11), anonymouslyadd (08-19-11), BR549 (08-20-11), Impetus (08-19-11)
Old 08-19-11, 12:25 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 15,897 Times in 8,043 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
perhaps the shame which adders all too readily feel is our way of handling feelings which are (more objectively) grounded in moral outrage at another's behaviour.

When the poorly behaved child stomps off in a mood, the adder left wondering 'but if only i'd ... ... ...'

self-destructive shame as our reaction to what should be feeling ashamed at another's behaviour.

We (adders) though don't like shifting the blame.

The nonadd way (in contrast to add) - over-readiness to characterize the departing child as 'bad'.
~sb_uk
Old 08-19-11, 12:29 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 15,897 Times in 8,043 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDTigger View Post
I've been saying to myself for a little while now "the clouds cause rain, not me." This is what I say when I know I am taking on an unreasonable amount of blame for a scenario. It does help a little.
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (08-19-11), ADHDTigger (08-19-11), BR549 (08-20-11), buddy (08-19-11), Impetus (08-19-11), Simenora (08-22-11)
Old 08-19-11, 01:36 PM

Thanked 5,917 Times in 2,447 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

In reference to Simenora...

I find it odd... someone says something /asks me to do something in a way that is full of logical holes you could drive a bus through.... I ask for clarification as to what is being said... and get it in the neck....

Not because I'm dumb.... but because I'm the only guy in the room that's seen the bus on the other side of the hole....

Happens all the time... attack is the response of the chronically fearful.

also ... don't be stressed about the Big Boss looking into it... it's what big bosses do... and he asked you about it first.

About the shame.... that's an internal feeling you have triggered deep inside. It's the kind of thing that counsellors use as a trigger word to get you to open up about things....

You could try doing a bit of Non-violent communication stuff with a close friend or partner. This would revolve around

1) Observation... describe what happened without using any judgemental words... stick to neutral observation
2) Move to feeling... and only feeling.... I feel shame
3) next tack a bit on I feel "x" because of my need for.....??? What is behind the feeling of shame???
4) After looking for what your needs are comes the request... what do you ask for to fulfil the need so you don't feel shame.

NVC is designed to get clear communication going between people... even people in conflict. I've done a couple of courses in it... one was a complete waste of time, the other was fascinating....because it was taught be someone who uses it to help people i prison sort out their issues.

Worth a shot.... it's all about training yourself to listen very closely to what is being said, then using "mirroring" to get the other person to verify exactly what they've said.

kilted
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-22-11), BR549 (08-20-11), Impetus (08-19-11), Simenora (08-19-11)
Old 08-19-11, 02:41 PM

Thanked 8,467 Times in 2,827 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

Some random thing they taught us in hair dressing school (of all places) is you don't ask people what they mean flat out, you have to ***** foot it.

Don't ask: What do you mean by review? What do you mean you want your hair short enough to spike? What do you mean you want you hair colour to match your eyes?

Do ask: How in dept of a review do you need? How tall/short do you want your spikes? Which shades/colours are you considering?
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RedHairedWitch For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-22-11), angora (08-20-11), anonymouslyadd (08-19-11), BR549 (08-20-11), Impetus (08-19-11), meadd823 (08-22-11), Sandy4957 (08-19-11)
Old 08-19-11, 03:12 PM

Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,195 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

I'm ashamed that I'm even alive. Thank you mom and dad...for making me feel this way.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 08-19-11, 07:11 PM

I talked to my therapist about these feelings... she was of the opinion that there are a lot of unknowns, people are nervous for their jobs, and the boss has been caught red handed. it's a tense time, so people are saying what they think are the 'right' things to say.

i don't get this idea. maybe it'll come to me later.

there is also a lot of shame in needing so much validation from others. I hope I am finally learning to stand on my own two feet, be truly emotionally "self reliant."
-George Carlin
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-20-11), anonymouslyadd (08-19-11), speculative (08-21-11)
Old 08-19-11, 11:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

cattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nice

I have recently realized through counseling that I have lived internally under a shadow of shame my whole life. The really weird thing about it is that I didn't really believe in shame externally. It was really liberating to realize that so much of my struggle and pain and self incrimination was because of these beliefs put on me as a kid that made me ashamed of myself all the time. Also that those beliefs were really messed up and not in line with the rest of society outside my immediate family so others really didn't understand my reactions to things.

Always blaming myself for others actions as if they were some kind of reflection of my own behaviors and failings. You are definitely not alone in this. Maybe it comes from not understanding social cues very well and never really fitting in so I could not really understand what was my fault and what was not.

Hang in there and give yourself a break for sure. Some of the best cliche "advice" I ever read was to treat yourself like you would your best friend. You would forgive them for their foibles, faults and idiosyncrasies so do so for yourself!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cattail For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-22-11), Impetus (08-20-11), RedHairedWitch (08-20-11), speculative (08-21-11)