ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Desoxyn
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride (also known as desoxyephedrine)

Old 02-09-12, 01:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

LanCo Rider can only hope to improve
Re: The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post
On a tiny dose of Dexedrine I have had severe chest pains at times (my whole chest area) and chest/heart tightness at random times.
DO you think that it was directly related to the Dex? I see you have a panic disorder as well; do you think that could have played any part? Have you been on stimulants before? Did they have the same or similar effect?
Old 02-09-12, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,195 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanCo Rider View Post
DO you think that it was directly related to the Dex? I see you have a panic disorder as well; do you think that could have played any part? Have you been on stimulants before? Did they have the same or similar effect?
I think it was related to the Dex. I have been about 2 weeks off Dex and really haven't had a problem with chest tightness or anything.
I haven't had a panic attack for about a week.

I wonder how Desoxyn differs from Dexedrine when it comes to heart effects for people that are sensitive to stimulants.
Does it kick up the heart beat?

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 02-09-12, 07:24 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post
I think it was related to the Dex. I have been about 2 weeks off Dex and really haven't had a problem with chest tightness or anything.
I haven't had a panic attack for about a week.

I wonder how Desoxyn differs from Dexedrine when it comes to heart effects for people that are sensitive to stimulants.
Does it kick up the heart beat?
Nope. This is why I prefer Desoxyn. Dexedrine, and especially Adderall, can increase my anxiety and have far more noticeable PNS effects.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
StoicNate (02-09-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-12, 08:19 PM

Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,195 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Nope. This is why I prefer Desoxyn. Dexedrine, and especially Adderall, can increase my anxiety and have far more noticeable PNS effects.
Good to know. I will mention this to my doctor. Thanks.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 03-11-12, 03:05 AM

jdgeek is on a distinguished road

T-man, haven't seen you lost for a while. Just wondering how the adderral/desoxyn combo continues to work for you. Have you noticed yourself building up any tolerances? I'm still trying go to convince my GP to let me try it but he unfortunately shares many of the bias discussed In this thread.
Old 03-11-12, 04:43 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgeek View Post
T-man, haven't seen you lost for a while. Just wondering how the adderral/desoxyn combo continues to work for you. Have you noticed yourself building up any tolerances? I'm still trying go to convince my GP to let me try it but he unfortunately shares many of the bias discussed In this thread.
The Adderall was only temporary. It got the job done but I get cranky and robotic when I take it daily.

I'm now taking Desoxyn and Dexedrine Spansules. I take a 15mg Spansule with 5mg of Desoxyn in the morning. Then I do the same at two. This creates a very smooth, rapid, and sustained effect. I'm
very pleased. I take the Barr Dex ER capsules which are a bit dirty but the Desoxyn seems to clean them right up.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 03-12-12, 11:57 PM

Cranky and robotic. Very good way of putting it. Do you recommend going to a P-dock to see if they will be more open to the idea? Is ther an online list od adhd docs? I just despise adderral and Dexedrine just didn't provide the clarity for me. I don't have motivation issues so I won't miss the "kick in the pants". I miss being able to multi-task. Adderral gives me tunnel vision.
Old 03-14-12, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Cranky and robotic. Very good way of putting it. Do you recommend going to a P-dock to see if they will be more open to the idea? Is ther an online list od adhd docs? I just despise adderral and Dexedrine just didn't provide the clarity for me. I don't have motivation issues so I won't miss the "kick in the pants". I miss being able to multi-task. Adderral gives me tunnel vision.
Desoxyn is pretty terrific... BUT it's SO expensive and difficult to dose. I still take it but not on it's own. Right now I'm taking it with Dexedrine Spansules and I'm thrilled with the combo. Desoxyn is my personal favorite but the price, extremely limited dose range and unscored tablets make it tricky.

It does relatively little for motivation when compared with Adderall or even Dexedrine. Honestly, I find Dexedrine the most useful IR stimulant on its own when you consider the price and dosing difficulty of Desoxyn.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 03-21-12, 01:23 AM

So today my doc agreed to script desoxyn after dexedrine didn't work out. I caught another lucky break and found a pharmacy that had the mylan generic in stock. With my insurance, 60 tabs (5mg) were only $10 (third lucky break, I know).

I had already taken my morning dosage of 15mg Adderall IR and instead of taking my afternoon dosage I took 5mg of Desoxyn instead. Before taking it I was feeling a bit jittery/anxious as is typical w/ my Adderall (the speedy feeling I've come to despise). Within about 40 mins I noticed a very subtle sedation. No rush or euphoria like when I began taking Adderall and I actually yawned at mid-day, which I haven't done in a long time. Anyways, I want to think it was the Desoxyn taking effect. Focus was pretty decent (not robotic tunnel vision like Adderall) and I was quite pleased with the overall effect. Didn't have the headaches or irritability in the afternoon either which is a big plus.

I realize today wasn't a great day to gauge the effectiveness because of the Adderall mixed in. But so far it seems hopeful though. Tomorrow I may try 10mg in the morning (no Adderall, which I'm eager to leave behind) and see where it takes me.

T-man- if insurance/cost were not an issue, what would your ideal dosage be like? I've been taking between 15-20 mg adderall in the mornings for several months and about 10 mgs in the mornings before that for several years. I too do not have motivation issues, so I won't miss the "kick in the pants". I'm actually looking forward to "smelling the roses" once again. Also, if anyone has supplements/vitamin recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll try to post back tomorrow for an update. Thanks again for everyone who has posted to this thread. I'm hoping this will be a turning point in my life-long struggles with ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdgeek For This Useful Post:
Alwaysonthgo (12-08-12)
Old 03-21-12, 12:54 PM

Mister Marcinko has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I had a dream/nightmare that I took a desoxyn pill and felt a mild sedation mixed with a wave of depression cycling in. Maybe this is a warning from my unconscious informing me to stay far away from this particular med.
Old 03-23-12, 04:42 AM

Quote:
So today my doc agreed to script desoxyn after dexedrine didn't work out. I caught another lucky break and found a pharmacy that had the mylan generic in stock. With my insurance, 60 tabs (5mg) were only $10 (third lucky break, I know).

I had already taken my morning dosage of 15mg Adderall IR and instead of taking my afternoon dosage I took 5mg of Desoxyn instead. Before taking it I was feeling a bit jittery/anxious as is typical w/ my Adderall (the speedy feeling I've come to despise). Within about 40 mins I noticed a very subtle sedation. No rush or euphoria like when I began taking Adderall and I actually yawned at mid-day, which I haven't done in a long time. Anyways, I want to think it was the Desoxyn taking effect. Focus was pretty decent (not robotic tunnel vision like Adderall) and I was quite pleased with the overall effect. Didn't have the headaches or irritability in the afternoon either which is a big plus.

I realize today wasn't a great day to gauge the effectiveness because of the Adderall mixed in. But so far it seems hopeful though. Tomorrow I may try 10mg in the morning (no Adderall, which I'm eager to leave behind) and see where it takes me.

T-man- if insurance/cost were not an issue, what would your ideal dosage be like? I've been taking between 15-20 mg adderall in the mornings for several months and about 10 mgs in the mornings before that for several years. I too do not have motivation issues, so I won't miss the "kick in the pants". I'm actually looking forward to "smelling the roses" once again. Also, if anyone has supplements/vitamin recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll try to post back tomorrow for an update. Thanks again for everyone who has posted to this thread. I'm hoping this will be a turning point in my life-long struggles with ADHD.
This is a tough question to answer. I find 15mg to my ideal dose. However, I need three doses for all day coverage and 45mg is too much. I suppose 15, 15, 10 would work out nicely. On that note, I don't believe 40mg is healthy dose. So... perfect as Desoxyn may be, I cannot rely on it alone. This is very frustrating.

Dexedrine and Desoxyn seem to work well together but I can't tolerate the side-effects of Barr Dex. 60 GSK Dexedrine Spansules costs just under $500. 60 Desoxyn cost over $200. What am I to do?

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 03-25-12, 05:56 PM

So it's been several days now on Desoxyn and I can confirm what others have posted previosly. Desoxyn is in fact the most subtle med I have tried to treat my ADHD. No jitters, very low anxiety, and excellent focus. I too concur that those with motivation issues WILL NOT like desoxyn. It only marginally gives you the urge to get up and do something. For me it works great because I've never had motivation issues, just terrible focus and follow through. For me there is absolutely no desire to "splurge" on the med and I highly doubt that others who have been properly diagnosed with ADHD would have problems with abusing it. I echo what others have said in that Adderral would provide more "bang" for those seeking to use it recreationally. I'm sure that with a high enough dosage of Desoxyn you would achieve an adderral type kick as well, but I just don't see that as likely behavior for someone switching to desoxyn after years of dealing with the disorder with other stimulant medications. At this point I wouldn't characterize it as life changing, but it's certainly a step in the right direction, at least for me. I've come to despise my stimulant meds over the years but have accepted them as a reality of life with ADHD. I'm tinkering with the dosage still w/ 5mg in the morning and 5mg at mid-day. It does last about 1 hour longer than adderall so I'm reluctant to dose too late into the afternoon for fear of a rough night's rest.

In sum, it's quite unfortunate that recreational "meth" use has exiled desoxyn to the back of the ADHD medicine cabinet. When used properly, it really has the potential to be a superior medication with fewer side effects.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdgeek For This Useful Post:
relax21 (03-25-12), tambourine-man (03-26-12)
Old 03-26-12, 09:06 PM

Quote:
So it's been several days now on Desoxyn and I can confirm what others have posted previosly. Desoxyn is in fact the most subtle med I have tried to treat my ADHD. No jitters, very low anxiety, and excellent focus. I too concur that those with motivation issues WILL NOT like desoxyn. It only marginally gives you the urge to get up and do something. For me it works great because I've never had motivation issues, just terrible focus and follow through. For me there is absolutely no desire to "splurge" on the med and I highly doubt that others who have been properly diagnosed with ADHD would have problems with abusing it. I echo what others have said in that Adderral would provide more "bang" for those seeking to use it recreationally. I'm sure that with a high enough dosage of Desoxyn you would achieve an adderral type kick as well, but I just don't see that as likely behavior for someone switching to desoxyn after years of dealing with the disorder with other stimulant medications. At this point I wouldn't characterize it as life changing, but it's certainly a step in the right direction, at least for me. I've come to despise my stimulant meds over the years but have accepted them as a reality of life with ADHD. I'm tinkering with the dosage still w/ 5mg in the morning and 5mg at mid-day. It does last about 1 hour longer than adderall so I'm reluctant to dose too late into the afternoon for fear of a rough night's rest.

In sum, it's quite unfortunate that recreational "meth" use has exiled desoxyn to the back of the ADHD medicine cabinet. When used properly, it really has the potential to be a superior medication with fewer side effects.
Thank you for this! That's what I like to hear! I can no longer afford to take Desoxyn. There are too many hoops to jump through, it's absurdly expensive, and terribly difficult to dose. BUT, I've said if multiple times and I will say it again... Desoxyn is king!

It may be egotistical of me, but I'd like to think that all the effort I've put into this public journal may result in Desoxyn becoming more readily prescribed, less expensive, and available in multiple dosage strengths. I will rejoice the day the Desoxyn Gradumet is returned to the market!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 03-30-12, 01:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

bradd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Why isn't Desoxyn available in other countries? "Meth Madness" never really gained such widespread media coverage in other countries, so you would think the stigma would be even greater here.

Most everyone else just offers Dexedrine and Ritalin.

Hi. I'm a Canadian with serious AD/HD-PI that though treated, whose quality of life continues to suffer greatly because the only available effective treatments come at a very burdensome price: a punishing anxiety/irritability side effect. [This occurs for me with *all two* of the essential choices available here: d-amphetamine and methylphenidate.] As such, I'm just a little more than curious to know the answer to the above question concerning Desoxyn. Also does anybody know if Desoxyn was ever available in Canada? And if it was, when, why or under what circumstances was it withdrawn? Thx.
Old 03-31-12, 08:55 AM
Contributor

AddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the rough

being in-attentive, I don't thing I would like this one bit; I need the dl-amp to get my brain to function. I used to attribute any negative effect to the racemic amp, but now my body 'needs' that kick and the once present barr side-effects are long gone(adderall, btw). Funny drug, it's so paradoxal that i used to take restoril to sleep, now dexedrine spansule..or sometimes I catch a good nights rest on a 30XR- that's rare and I wouldn't recommend getting in the habit where your body needs an XR AMP for a good night's sleep (talk about tolerence) but I can focus myself to sleep if work didn't wear my down .

Last edited by AddYourAll; 03-31-12 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: add sentence