ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Desoxyn
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride (also known as desoxyephedrine)

Old 11-26-11, 11:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light
Re: The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn Journal

Since relevant information on this medication is so rare, I thought I would post links to some of the helpful information that I brought to my doctor's attention.

http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/436337

There is little evidence to suggest clinical use of dextromethamphetamine possesses greater liability of abuse, addiction or tolerance than other amphetamines. However, when the drug is abused (where it is traditionally used in dramatically higher doses than those employed clinically), methamphetamine is considered to be highly addictive. [Munzar P, et al. (1999). Effects of dopamine and serotonin-releasing agents on meth-amphetamine discrimination and self-administration in rats. Psychopharmacology 141: 287–296.]

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Desoxyn

Further, because the secondary effects of dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride are least among the amphetamine-class stimulants or methylphenidate but the highest degree of primary effectiveness (i.e., most effective at enhancing concentration and decreasing distractibility, with the least occurrence of side effects), Desoxyn can be useful for patients who find other medications ineffective or for whom the side effects of such other medications are too severe.

The greater primary effectiveness of Desoxyn is believed to be caused by the extra methyl group of dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride which is lacking in basic amphetamine, which may increase the solubility of dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride in lipids (and therefore be more deeply and thoroughly absorbed into the fatty tissue of the brain)

http://www.anxietyzone.com/drugs/desoxyn.html

As a pharmaceutical-grade form of methamphetamine, which has gained a reputation for abuse, Desoxyn has retained a degree of controversy because of concerns it may be abused. However, the tablet form of Desoxyn cannot effectively be smoked, snorted or injected, and many patients treated with Desoxyn report the benefits to exceed that of related treatments such as Ritalin/methylphenidate or Adderall/amphetamine. Further, research has indicated that ADD/ADHD patients treated with stimulants are in fact less likely to abuse substances than patients who are not treated with these drugs, and there is little evidence that prescription stimulant use under a medical program administered by a doctor leads to abuse.

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/drug...tments/desoxyn

A detailed study which contains information on the chemical reasons for Desoxyn's potency, yet relative lack of side-effects...

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/15/2/1308.full.pdf

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
Alwaysonthgo (12-08-12), Blanched Dubois (04-22-13), buddy (11-26-11), dFRAGment (11-15-13), pizzas666 (09-22-13), PositivelyPositive (11-28-11)
Old 11-26-11, 12:41 PM

Jason954 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I really hope I can find a way to make 25mg a day work, but am worried that duration will be a problem at this dose. I need this medicine to work all day. I have been taking 15mg in the morning and 10mg in the afternoon but this only takes me to about 5:00 or 6:00 in the evening (admittedly far longer than I've gotten out two doses of past IR meds).
That's a make-or-break issue for me, too. I have to get up at 7, be sentient and functional by 7:30 (work phone calls with team in Singapore), not crash in the middle of the afternoon, and have at least a couple of good, productive hours after 8pm to work on my own stuff before going to bed at night.

The main thing is that if you do 10+10+5, the ideal dose interval might not quite be what you'd predict from half-life alone. The problem is that when you take dose #3, you have to take the metabolization curves of TWO previous doses into account. Otherwise, you can end up with what I've been seeing from Vyvanse + dexIR... a very short-lived bump back up to productive levels, followed by an even harder crash an hour or so later.

You might want to google for articles about the pharmacokinetics of Concerta (maybe even Sandoz' patent itself). Even though methylphenidate's half-life is ridiculously short compared to desoxyn's, I suspect lots of the same concepts apply. From what I remember, the most revolutionary aspect of Concerta was its acknowledgment that the minimum therapeutic concentration *itself* rises slowly throughout the day due to microtolerance that builds all day, then resets and goes away overnight.

I think the biggest single difference between methylphenidate and amphetamine pharmacokinetics is the need for sleep and the rate at which things go downhill when you don't get enough. Amphetamines stimulate neurotransmitter production, but methylphenidate just stimulates the release of reserves that have already been generated (and only get replenished during quality sleep). I think the microtolerance from both goes away at roughly the same rate, but in the case of methylphenidate you can be hit with a double-whammy if you don't get enough sleep -- microtolerance PLUS progressive depletion of reserves, leading to increased substitution of DA for NE to compensate (causing irritability, then anxiety & paranoia, eventually becoming outright hallucination & panic). I think in the case of amphetamines, the NE depletion and DA-NE substitution takes longer to start happening, but takes longer to fully recover from and heal when it does.

At least, that's what I saw when I'd get sleep-deprived on Concerta. Staying up for 36 hours and doing an all-nighter once a week was no big deal at all, as long as I could go to bed and sleep like a rock for the next 12 hours without interruptions when it was all done. In fact, it was one of my most productive days of the week for getting work done, because nobody bothered me late at night, and my aspie obsessions seemed to be easier to put on hold as well. HOWEVER... if someone or something forced me to stay awake the following day instead of sleeping it off, things went straight to hell by mid-afternoon -- I was basically just sleepwalking, I couldn't have two consecutive thoughts, and just about anything would send me into frustrated-rage aspie meltdown (and not my usual "run to the bathroom and do it discreetly in private" ones, either).

Last edited by Jason954; 11-26-11 at 01:08 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason954 For This Useful Post:
Cdub93 (11-22-12), MyLogic (02-09-12), PositivelyPositive (11-28-11)
Old 11-26-11, 12:55 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason954 View Post
That's a make-or-break issue for me, too. I have to get up at 7, be sentient and functional by 7:30 (work phone calls with team in Singapore), not crash in the middle of the afternoon, and have at least a couple of good, productive hours after 8pm to work on my own stuff before going to bed at night.

The main thing is that if you do 10+10+5, the ideal dose interval might not quite be what you'd predict from half-life alone. The problem is that when you take dose #3, you have to take the metabolization curves of TWO previous doses into account. Otherwise, you can end up with what I've been seeing from Vyvanse + dexIR... a very short-lived bump back up to productive levels, followed by an even harder crash an hour or so later.

You might want to google for articles about the pharmacokinetics of Concerta (maybe even Sandoz' patent itself). Even though methylphenidate's half-life is ridiculously short compared to desoxyn's, I suspect lots of the same concepts apply. From what I remember, the most revolutionary aspect of Concerta was its acknowledgment that the minimum therapeutic concentration *itself* rises slowly throughout the day due to microtolerance that builds all day, then resets and goes away overnight (but only if you're getting enough sleep; however, this might be more methylphenidate-dependent since amphetamines stimulate production, while methylphenidate just stimulates the release of reserves that will eventually start to deplete unless you sleep enough to regenerate them).
I'm familiar with Concerta's system and how it takes the issue of tachyphylaxis (escalating tolerance throughout the day) into account.

However, I've found that this issue is not so simple. I have found that my first and last doses (if I'm taking three) are always far less strong than my second dose.

This is very tricky and I have found that each med requires a different strategy, and even the same med must be switched up and adjusted as time goes on.

15mg of Desoxyn in the morning is perfect. 10mg in the afternoon works very well but I need it to last a couple more hours. I'm thinking two divided doses of 15mg may give me both the strength and duration that I need, but I REALLY want to try and make this work with as little medication as possible.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
PositivelyPositive (11-28-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-11, 02:34 PM

SnareDrumzZz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Switching to Desoxyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
I've been taking Desoxyn for three days now. I hope no one thinks my frequent updates are over the top. I find that it is very beneficial to record my progress and response, and I hope that others can benefit from my observations.

I must say, Desoxyn is not the drug people think it is! I have tried nearly every stimulant on the market. Desoxyn is without doubt the most benign stimulant I have ever taken.

I mean it when I say that many people will be disappointed by it. Personally, I'm finding it to be a breath of fresh air, but only because it is so gentle. Wait, meth is the gentle drug? Yep! To say that Desoxyn is more potent than other stimulants is not saying much, because comparisons fail to illustrate what a completely different drug this is. If potency is measured by symptom relief, then yes Desoxyn is the most potent. If potency is measured by the intensity of that initial buzzy, motivating lift... Desoxyn is WEAK.

I think I expected it to be comparable to Dexedrine, but a bit smoother, and longer lasting. After Adderall, I was thrilled with Dexedrine's lack of PNS stimulation, but it is an edgy roller coaster compared to Desoxyn.

Every time I try a new medication, I find something different and refreshing. I decide I've found the best of the best. What I've learned is that none of these medications are superior - they are all vastly different, and have different applications.

None have been as surprising as Desoxyn. I cannot fathom why this medication has such an enormous stigma attached to it.

So why do I think most people will be disappointed? Well, there isn't exactly a short answer.

Let's face it guys, improved concentration is not the only reason most of us take stimulants. These drugs don't just treat our attention problems. They give us pep, boost our self-esteem, relieve our depression, and motivate us to be successful. They get us up in the morning and get us through the day. This is our dirty little secret. In a world where taking a pill to feel better is frowned upon, we have to pretend that our medications don't make us feel "good."

Guess what? My meds make me feel good! I like taking them! Is that a sin? Must I pretend that I hate taking a pill that improves my life and makes me happy? A pill that has, quite literally, saved me?

I think most people are attracted to Desoxyn because it is the big, bad, ever elusive "pharmaceutical meth." Guess what? If you gave a frat boy both Adderall and Desoxyn and didn't tell him what they were, he would probably prefer the Adderall. Adderall is the med that will allow him to cram all day, party all night, and score chicks with his newfound confidence. He isn't looking for gentle, subtle ADHD relief!

A lot of people just don't want subtle stimulants - that's ok! If you benefit from the kick of Adderall, more power to you. I must warn you though, Desoxyn doesn't provide a bigger, better kick in similiar doses. At therapeutic doses it does not provide a kick at all!

In a world without crooked social politics, Desoxyn would be a first line med, and everyone would be seeking the buzzy, energetic, holy grail of stimulants... known today as plain old Adderall.
Why do you post stuff like this mate? You blame Aspie for everything.
Old 11-26-11, 02:49 PM

Re: Switching to Desoxyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnareDrumzZz View Post
Why do you post stuff like this mate? You blame Aspie for everything.
Um... what? I'm sorry but I'll need you to clarify? Who is Aspie and what blame am I casting?

Are you saying that I blame my Asperger Syndrome for everything? Maybe you aren't familiar with my work. I blame Asperger Syndrome for many things, my success and abilities first and foremost. I don't expect you to read any of my writing, but you can watch this video about my life with AS if you'd like...

http://thautcast.com/drupal5/content...rgers-syndrome

I post stuff like you quoted because I enjoy recording my progress and hope my observations may benefit others.

Perhaps I've misinterpreted you. I don't see how the quoted post has anything to do with AS. Once again, please clarify.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
pizzas666 (09-22-13)
Old 11-26-11, 04:14 PM

Interesting issue...

The doctor prescribed me 25mg a day, but wrote the script for 100 tablets. I initially assumed this was a mistake, but then I got to thinking about it, and my prescription came in a factory sealed bottle of 100 tablets. Apparently this is how it is sold.

Does this mean I can't purchase 125 at a time? Will I have to get my prescription filled every three weeks?

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-26-11, 07:35 PM

I noticed there weren't any pictures of Mylan's Generic available online, so I took one myself...

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Twiggy (03-03-12)
Old 11-26-11, 11:44 PM

Well, I've come to the end of day four on Desoxyn.

I'm quickly coming to regard Desoxyn as ADHD's best kept secret... but the transition is proving to be bittersweet. Desoxyn is a better choice for me, yet a part of me is mourning the loss of Dexedrine and Adderall (though I still have about 80 Dexedrine tablets stowed away).

Dexedrine and Adderall seem to do all the work for me... at a price. I take one and everything seems to come so much easier. Desoxyn is not like this. It gives me the ability to motivate myself, but I definitely have a choice in the matter. This is both refreshing and frustrating for a number of reasons. It is nice to have control again, but there it is a bit unsettling to take the reigns after such a long time of letting the meds steer for me.

I won't be missing that edgy feeling though. I'm reconnecting with a part of myself that was missing on the other meds and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Desoxyn is forcing me to stop and smell the roses, but all that time on Dexedrine and Adderall makes me feel like I should be doing something more productive.

I still have to find the best dosing schedule to get me through the day.

Desoxyn is a very ironic medication. This notorious and "dangerous" medication is, surprisingly, so much easier on the brain and body. I really do think most of the members here would be disappointed by it, but only because most of us have been on more motivating meds.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
Alwaysonthgo (12-08-12), pizzas666 (09-22-13), PositivelyPositive (11-28-11)
Old 11-26-11, 11:50 PM

Downix will become famous soon enough

You do realize that there is an irony in this, the "zomg, it's METH" drug is less of a kick than the other meds.
Old 11-27-11, 12:14 AM

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of
Cool Re: The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Well, I've come to the end of day four on Desoxyn.

I'm quickly coming to regard Desoxyn as ADHD's best kept secret... but the transition is proving to be bittersweet. Desoxyn is a better choice for me, yet a part of me is mourning the loss of Dexedrine and Adderall (though I still have about 80 Dexedrine tablets stowed away).

Dexedrine and Adderall seem to do all the work for me... at a price. I take one and everything seems to come so much easier. Desoxyn is not like this. It gives me the ability to motivate myself, but I definitely have a choice in the matter. This is both refreshing and frustrating for a number of reasons. It is nice to have control again, but there it is a bit unsettling to take the reigns after such a long time of letting the meds steer for me.

I won't be missing that edgy feeling though. I'm reconnecting with a part of myself that was missing on the other meds and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Desoxyn is forcing me to stop and smell the roses, but all that time on Dexedrine and Adderall makes me feel like I should be doing something more productive.

I still have to find the best dosing schedule to get me through the day.

Desoxyn is a very ironic medication. This notorious and "dangerous" medication is, surprisingly, so much easier on the brain and body. I really do think most of the members here would be disappointed by it, but only because most of us have been on more motivating meds.

Med transitions are always bumpy. Give it a bit more time. Since you now have some more control over things, you will just need to polish up on the skills that you haven't been using for a while. You'll figure it all out in time!
The Following User Says Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-11, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

babidi is on a distinguished road

Hey man, what's the Dexedrine IR to Desoxyn dose?

I think you should be on Desoxyn 20 mg Three times a day, 60 mg total a day. Hahaha!

Are you sticking to Desoxyn or going back to Dexedrine?

Is your Dexedrine the IR version?
Old 11-27-11, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babidi View Post
Hey man, what's the Dexedrine IR to Desoxyn dose?

I think you should be on Desoxyn 20 mg Three times a day, 60 mg total a day. Hahaha!

Are you sticking to Desoxyn or going back to Dexedrine?

Is your Dexedrine the IR version?
This is a tricky question. Desoxyn feels about half as potent as Dexedrine (yes, I was taking IR) but is probably twice as effective.

I think I'm going to need three doses a day though. I plan on sticking with Desoxyn because I believe it is healthier, but I will likely bump my dose to 30mg in three divided doses.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-27-11, 02:36 PM

Jason954 will become famous soon enough

How much did you pay for the bottle of 100? If you have insurance, how much does the receipt say you allegedly saved? I tried to find out at Walgreens yesterday, but was told (politely, but firmly) that they won't discuss availability or price on schedule II drugs unless you have a valid prescription in hand ready to be filled. grrrrrrrr.
Old 11-27-11, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason954 View Post
How much did you pay for the bottle of 100? If you have insurance, how much does the receipt say you allegedly saved? I tried to find out at Walgreens yesterday, but was told (politely, but firmly) that they won't discuss availability or price on schedule II drugs unless you have a valid prescription in hand ready to be filled. grrrrrrrr.
That's BS. Call a different pharmacy. They can discuss prices. Be assertive.

To answer your question, Desoxyn, even generic, is very expensive. Around here 500mg (100 tablets) is about $300 without insurance... unless you buy it off the street. 500mg of street meth is about $50. Ha ha. ; ) Sad but true.

This medication needs to be more widely prescribed and affordable. Many people would benefit from it. There is no reason why it should remain so taboo.

I once had a p-doc tell me, "I don't prescribe Desoxyn. That is meth! They are cooking it up in bathtubs!"

I replied, "Really?! The FDA allows companies like Lundbeck to manufacture their medications in bathtubs?!" Ha Ha!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-27-11, 03:03 PM

My doctor gave me permission to play with my dose but I don't quite feel comfortable going over 25mg until I see him. I do think I need to raise it though, not because it is ineffective at the current dose, but because I'm not getting the duration I need out of two doses.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)