ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Desoxyn
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride (also known as desoxyephedrine)

Old 11-27-11, 03:21 PM

Jason954 will become famous soon enough
Re: The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn Journal

Ouch. As luck would have it, it turns out that Caremark has a division that sells mail-order prescription drugs to people who don't actually have insurance coverage (rxsavingsplus.com). It turns out, their price is exactly what you were charged -- almost exactly $3/pill.

This is criminal. This is a drug that was invented before our GREAT GRANDPARENTS were born, and was officially and legally available as a generic drug in the US before our parents were zygotes.

It's things like this that make me want to take the DEA's official claims (that anyone with proper controls in place can register and purchase the supplies) at face value and try to start a nonprofit pharmaceutical cooperative whose shareholders are people with ADD, and whose official business mission is to manufacture and sell generic ADD drugs whose patents expired years ago. Of course, if we started one, companies like Shire would be working overtime to whip up hysteria and get those non-patented "abusable" forms banned outright.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason954 For This Useful Post:
MyLogic (02-09-12)
Old 11-27-11, 03:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason954 View Post
Ouch. As luck would have it, it turns out that Caremark has a division that sells mail-order prescription drugs to people who don't actually have insurance coverage (rxsavingsplus.com). It turns out, their price is exactly what you were charged -- almost exactly $3/pill.

This is criminal. This is a drug that was invented before our GREAT GRANDPARENTS were born, and was officially and legally available as a generic drug in the US before our parents were zygotes.

It's things like this that make me want to take the DEA's official claims (that anyone with proper controls in place can register and purchase the supplies) at face value and try to start a nonprofit pharmaceutical cooperative whose shareholders are people with ADD, and whose official business mission is to manufacture and sell generic ADD drugs whose patents expired years ago. Of course, if we started one, companies like Shire would be working overtime to whip up hysteria and get those non-patented "abusable" forms banned outright.
Let's work together to look around and find the cheapest available options. Maybe there are some kind of discounts available somewhere. If you are thinking of switching, please feel free to utilize all the information I have provided here to educate your doctor. Tell him a fellow Aspie recommends it!

Really though, we need to find a way to get this stuff at a discount.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
amu_d (11-30-11), BR549 (11-27-11)
Old 11-27-11, 03:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

babidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
This is a tricky question. Desoxyn feels about half as potent as Dexedrine (yes, I was taking IR) but is probably twice as effective.

I think I'm going to need three doses a day though. I plan on sticking with Desoxyn because I believe it is healthier, but I will likely bump my dose to 30mg in three divided doses.
So 5 mg Desoxyn = 10 mg Dexedrine IR and Desoxyn last twice as long as Dexedrine IR?

What's the difference in terms of motivation (mentally) and concentration/focus?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-11, 03:50 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by babidi View Post
So 5 mg Desoxyn = 10 mg Dexedrine IR and Desoxyn last twice as long as Dexedrine IR?

What's the difference in terms of motivation (mentally) and concentration/focus?
Better and more fluid concentration, significantly less motivation, no side-effects. No side-effects whatsoever. That is what sets Desoxyn apart.

Desoxyn actually does not last more than an hour longer than Dexedrine, but the peak period of effectiveness is stretched over the course of the entire dose to an extent I have not even found with XR meds. There is no sharp peak or decline.

If you want motivation in a pill, look elsewhere.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-27-11, 05:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

babidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Better and more fluid concentration, significantly less motivation, no side-effects. No side-effects whatsoever. That is what sets Desoxyn apart.

Desoxyn actually does not last more than an hour longer than Dexedrine, but the peak period of effectiveness is stretched over the course of the entire dose to an extent I have not even found with XR meds. There is no sharp peak or decline.

If you want motivation in a pill, look elsewhere.
So Desoxyn has better concentration/focus than Dexedrine IR?

However, Dexedrine IR has better motivation than Desoxyn?
Old 11-27-11, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babidi View Post
So Desoxyn has better concentration/focus than Dexedrine IR?

However, Dexedrine IR has better motivation than Desoxyn?
Desoxyn has more fluid concentration. Desoxyn is like a shot of clarity to the brain. Dexedrine is a huge dose of selective motivation and concentration.

Dexedrine = Energy, tunnel vision, and some side-effects.

Desoxyn = Nothing more or less than symptom control. Gentle and effective relief.

It's a bit like switching from laxatives to a better diet with plenty of fiber. It takes awhile for your body to adjust, but it is a healthier choice.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
amu_d (11-30-11)
Old 11-27-11, 06:14 PM

So is Desoxyn the holy grail?

That depends on your definition of holy grail. Is is the most powerful, addictive, dangerous, and euphoric of all stimulants? Um... no. Not in my experience and certainly not at therapeutic doses. Is it a very effective med with the fewest possible side-effects that happens to be unjustly stigmatized and rarely prescribed? Absolutely.

In all honesty, I like Dexedrine better, but my body and mind greatly prefer Desoxyn.

Desoxyn is the most easily abused stimulant for the same reasons that it should be prescribed more often - it is without the physical and mental side-effects of other stimulants. If you're going to abuse large doses of a stimulant, you want to go with the one that your body and mind will least regret. Why should we have to put up with unnecessary side-effects just because the junkies don't want to? Desoxyn proves that many of the common side-effects complained about on these boards are nothing less than a deterrent to those who would take doses far larger than those prescribed in order to get high.

I just can't get over the unbelievable irony of prescription methamphetamine, the most gentle, subtle, and physically forgiving of all stimulants I have taken.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-27-11, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason954 View Post

I tracked this down on Lundbecks website...

All Other Lundbeck Products
Lundbeck offers comprehensive reimbursement and patient support programs for our other products as well. To learn more, please call 1-866-209-7604.

I will call them when they open tomorrow. Maybe we could get free brand name Desoxyn!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-27-11, 06:43 PM

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

Quote:
That's BS. Call a different pharmacy. They can discuss prices. Be assertive.

To answer your question, Desoxyn, even generic, is very expensive. Around here 500mg (100 tablets) is about $300 without insurance... unless you buy it off the street. 500mg of street meth is about $50. Ha ha. ; ) Sad but true.

This medication needs to be more widely prescribed and affordable. Many people would benefit from it. There is no reason why it should remain so taboo.

I once had a p-doc tell me, "I don't prescribe Desoxyn. That is meth! They are cooking it up in bathtubs!"

I replied, "Really?! The FDA allows companies like Lundbeck to manufacture their medications in bathtubs?!" Ha Ha
!
hahaha...hilarious! Unfortunately many Pdocs suck. They couldn't hack it in any other specialization and end up in psychiatry. This makes finding a good one very difficult!
Old 11-27-11, 06:55 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 12,898 Times in 5,213 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm . . . this whole discussion is very interesting to me.

I've been on Concerta and Adderall while I was writing up my thesis. Concerta made me zombie-like and made my concentration *worse*. . . I had some dissociative issues and once, at 56 mg, euphoria. Very strange.

Adderall was better, but OMG the hyperfocus. . . I could sit and do *anything* for hours, including playing a stupid puzzle computer game for 6 hours while "taking a break from writing". . .

Never did go to Dex, but it sounds like in your experience, that Desoxyn actually *doesn't* give you as much of the laser focus? That's really interesting, because that, the anxiety and bruxism are the three major reasons I am not taking anything right now.

I once had a very similar "yes, d-methamphetamine is still a schedule 2 drug that is prescribable for ADHD and narcolepsy" with a drug-addiction researcher. . . people are generally quite ignorant about the stimulants, especially Desoxyn.
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
amu_d (11-30-11)
Old 11-27-11, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
Hmm . . . this whole discussion is very interesting to me.

I've been on Concerta and Adderall while I was writing up my thesis. Concerta made me zombie-like and made my concentration *worse*. . . I had some dissociative issues and once, at 56 mg, euphoria. Very strange.

Adderall was better, but OMG the hyperfocus. . . I could sit and do *anything* for hours, including playing a stupid puzzle computer game for 6 hours while "taking a break from writing". . .

Never did go to Dex, but it sounds like in your experience, that Desoxyn actually *doesn't* give you as much of the laser focus? That's really interesting, because that, the anxiety and bruxism are the three major reasons I am not taking anything right now.

I once had a very similar "yes, d-methamphetamine is still a schedule 2 drug that is prescribable for ADHD and narcolepsy" with a drug-addiction researcher. . . people are generally quite ignorant about the stimulants, especially Desoxyn.
So much fuss and misunderstanding over a name. They should just market it by it's alternative name, desoxyephedrine. Those that are uninformed enough to think Desoxyn is comparable to street meth would be uninformed enough to think it was an entirely new medication.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
TygerSan (11-27-11)
Old 11-27-11, 10:26 PM

SnareDrumzZz is an unknown quantity at this point
The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn Journal

Quote:
Um... what? I'm sorry but I'll need you to clarify? Who is Aspie and what blame am I casting?

Are you saying that I blame my Asperger Syndrome for everything? Maybe you aren't familiar with my work. I blame Asperger Syndrome for many things, my success and abilities first and foremost. I don't expect you to read any of my writing, but you can watch this video about my life with AS if you'd like...

http://thautcast.com/drupal5/content...rgers-syndrome

I post stuff like you quoted because I enjoy recording my progress and hope my observations may benefit others.

Perhaps I've misinterpreted you. I don't see how the quoted post has anything to do with AS. Once again, please clarify.
Im not going to watch that video because I know you post in other forums. I havent seen Any Dexedrine shortages either. . .

Last edited by BR549; 11-28-11 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: etiquette
Old 11-27-11, 11:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

Chace90 is on a distinguished road
Re: Switching to Desoxyn

Alright, first of all you are supposed to try to get the most euphoric stimulant, your meds are not supposed to make you feel like crap. Amphetamines are used in treatment resistant cases of depression.

Last edited by BR549; 11-28-11 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: continuity
Old 11-27-11, 11:55 PM

Jason954 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnareDrumzZz
I havent seen Any Dexedrine shortages either. . .
You obviously haven't tried filling a prescription for Adderall (IR or XR, brand or generic) or Dexedrine (spansules or IR, brand or generic) anywhere in America within the past month or two. If you even bothered to look at the Adderall and Dexedrine forums, you'd hear the wails and screams that began weeks ago. I personally spent almost TWO WEEKS trying to fill a prescription for 60 10mg IR dexedrine tablets, before finally hitting the jackpot and finding a pharmacy in the middle of a retirement community that happened to still have some in stock. They made a point of telling me that it was almost inconceivable that I'd be able to fill another prescription for 60 during the last week of December (or early January, for that matter).

I'm thrilled by Tambourine-Man's posts. As far as I'm concerned, the more details he wants to post, the better. I'm an Aspie with overlaid ADD too, so I find his postings to be directly relevant to my own issues.

Last edited by BR549; 11-28-11 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: continuity
Old 11-28-11, 02:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

cattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nice

I find it really interesting how much individual variation there is to different meds. I take Adderall ir and don't feel any "kick" to it. At first I did but after a month or so I don't notice a difference between on and off meds, unless I am doing something that requires a lot of focus. The only time I am aware is if I start the day with 20 instead of 10 mg. I don't like it at all! I like it to ease in and out without notice. Dex makes me a twitchy miserable mess! I m glad you are finding success with a new med nd thanks for sharing. I'm interested to know how your response compares to others.

I am a bit confused though. Adderall is also methamphetamines. How are they different?