ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Desoxyn
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride (also known as desoxyephedrine)

Old 11-29-11, 04:54 AM

PositivelyPositive is on a distinguished road
Re: The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn Journal

Hello. I am diagnosed with ADHD and Narcolepsy. tambourine-man, I can't help but think that you know what narcolepsy is. I not only need the stimulant to calm me down and slow my thoughts, allowing me to focus (adhd). I also have to deal with the narcoleptic part, which is just an all day sleepiness. So without getting to much into detail, I need a stimulant that is not just helping me focus, but that has the boost to keep me alert, all day. Right now, I am taking dexedrine IR. I tried adderall and it just makes me too anxious. The reason I chimed in here is to see what your opinion is on what I have wrote and if I could maybe benefit from Desoxyn. The main question is, does Desoxyn in your opinion give you much of a wakefulness? See even when I sleep 8 hours, I still feel like I've had about 3-4 as far as wakefulness. From what you have written so far it seems like maybe Desoxyn wouldn't have enough strength to keep me awake and focused. What do you say?
The Following User Says Thank You to PositivelyPositive For This Useful Post:
MyLogic (02-09-12)
Old 11-29-11, 10:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositivelyPositive View Post
Hello. I am diagnosed with ADHD and Narcolepsy. tambourine-man, I can't help but think that you know what narcolepsy is. I not only need the stimulant to calm me down and slow my thoughts, allowing me to focus (adhd). I also have to deal with the narcoleptic part, which is just an all day sleepiness. So without getting to much into detail, I need a stimulant that is not just helping me focus, but that has the boost to keep me alert, all day. Right now, I am taking dexedrine IR. I tried adderall and it just makes me too anxious. The reason I chimed in here is to see what your opinion is on what I have wrote and if I could maybe benefit from Desoxyn. The main question is, does Desoxyn in your opinion give you much of a wakefulness? See even when I sleep 8 hours, I still feel like I've had about 3-4 as far as wakefulness. From what you have written so far it seems like maybe Desoxyn wouldn't have enough strength to keep me awake and focused. What do you say?
This is the strange part. 10mg of Desoxyn is far more sedating than 10mg Dexedrine. However, boost the dose up to 15mg or more and it becomes significantly more energizing than the same dose of Dexedrine.

Desoxyn would be worth the switch, but only if you are prescribed enough. Dexedrine/Desoxyn equivalency is not easily measured, and most doctors will prescribe significantly less Desoxyn than Dexedrine.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-29-11, 11:45 AM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

I'm enjoying Desoxyn's consistency. It seems to be much less variable than other IR medications. It is comparable to Sandoz Adderall in this respect. Dexedrine was very consistent... about 70 percent of the time. The remaining 30 percent of those Barr tablets are all over the place.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-11, 01:36 PM

I did get permission from the doctor to take 10mg three times per day. Well, he had already given me permission to play with the dose, but I just wanted to make sure it was documented. I don't think you can be too careful with this particular medication.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-29-11, 10:44 PM

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
I did get permission from the doctor to take 10mg three times per day. Well, he had already given me permission to play with the dose, but I just wanted to make sure it was documented. I don't think you can be too careful with this particular medication.
Any luck with discounts?
Old 11-30-11, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheekyMonkey View Post
Any luck with discounts?
No luck so far. : (

Which is way too bad, because I've had a lot of luck with Desoxyn. 10mg 3x a day is absolutely perfect. Now that I've adjusted a bit more I'm able to experience this medication's full potential.

It seems I've climbed the stimulant ladder to the very top, and I've been more and more impressed with each new medication.

At this point I would rank them in this order...

1. Desoxyn
2. Dexedrine IR
3. Sandoz Adderall IR
4. Barr Adderall IR
5. Vyvanse
6. Corepharma Adderall IR

All methylphenidate products are equally awful for me. I haven't tried Focalin though. The above list is ordered based on greatest therapeutic benefit and least side-effects. It would be different if I was judging their motivating effects. Adderall is by far the most motivating.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-30-11, 02:55 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Man, as soon as desoxyn is approved in Canada, I'm gona get a permit, open a company, build a 10,000 gallon CSTR reactor and make Meth for all Canadian ADDers, and God there are many!

The Following User Says Thank You to Massari For This Useful Post:
amu_d (11-30-11)
Old 11-30-11, 04:17 AM
Contributor

amu_d is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massari View Post
Man, as soon as desoxyn is approved in Canada, I'm gona get a permit, open a company, build a 10,000 gallon CSTR reactor and make Meth for all Canadian ADDers, and God there are many!

Great idea, man, and as a Canadian citizen I will run back to Canada then!
The Following User Says Thank You to amu_d For This Useful Post:
Massari (12-01-11)
Old 11-30-11, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu_d View Post
Great idea, man, and as a Canadian citizen I will run back to Canada then!
Why isn't Desoxyn available in other countries? "Meth Madness" never really gained such widespread media coverage in other countries, so you would think the stigma would be even greater here.

Most everyone else just offers Dexedrine and Ritalin.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-30-11, 02:10 PM

I was interested in seeing how recreational stimulant users with faux ADHD respond to Desoxyn so I did a google search. Well, it is obvious that Desoxyn is the most coveted stimulant for recreational purposes, but only by those who have not taken it. I found a lot of reports of users named "SWIM" (huh?) who were on Dexedrine and finally talked their "croaker" to switching them to "prescription meth." Their opinion?

"Desoxyn sucks! I want my Dexedrine back. This stuff is nothing like crystal. It puts me to sleep."

"I think they forgot to put the meth in this stuff. Adderall is way tweakier."

"Do they water this stuff down so people don't take it? Did my doc give me a placebo? Desoxyn blows fer real."

"Better than Ritalin, not as good as Vyvanse. Vyvanse give my monkey a better buzz."

"I never had any success with desoxyn. I remember getting so psyched bc it is supposedly pharmaceutical speed; however, even with no amphetamine tolerance, I felt nothing from it. I would IV and sniff and eat a whole bunch and be very disappointed and felt like a 20mg Adderall or 10 mg dextrostat would have been more satisfying."

"I've procured the elusive Desoxyn script... and what an utter disappointment."

Compare these to user reviews from those genuinely seeking therapeutic treatment...

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/drug...rating/desoxyn

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)

Last edited by tambourine-man; 11-30-11 at 02:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
purpleToes (12-27-11)
Old 11-30-11, 02:23 PM

Jason954 will become famous soon enough

"SWIM" == "Someone Who Isn't Me"

They use it to avoid self-incrimination ;-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason954 For This Useful Post:
purpleToes (12-27-11)
Old 11-30-11, 04:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

relax21 is a jewel in the roughrelax21 is a jewel in the roughrelax21 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man
I'm wondering if 10, 10, 5 would be a better dosing schedule. 15, 15? 10, 10, 10?
Try 15 mg AM & 15 mg PM about 5-6 hours apart. See how that works for coverage.

Of course, I'm sure you know by now that the duration of the drug could also be effected by what you eat or if you take the medication with or without food.

Best advice I can give you is to be patient and consistent with your dosing regiments. Sometimes it just takes time to adjust to a new medication.
The Following User Says Thank You to relax21 For This Useful Post:
BR549 (11-30-11)
Old 11-30-11, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relax21 View Post
Try 15 mg AM & 15 mg PM about 5-6 hours apart. See how that works for coverage.

Of course, I'm sure you know by now that the duration of the drug could also be effected by what you eat or if you take the medication with or without food.

Best advice I can give you is to be patient and consistent with your dosing regiments. Sometimes it just takes time to adjust to a new medication.
I am thrilled to report that I have adjusted well. I am taking 10mg three times daily, but may try 15mg two times daily if I run into trouble.

I really want to thank you for all your advice, both privately and publicly. Desoxyn is rarely prescribed, so there are few people to turn to with questions and this really is a different animal.

I was nervous about it at first. I was getting a lot of unwanted PNS stimulation, even from Dexedrine, which was really exacerbating my anxiety. I didn't want to admit to myself that I was having problems, because these meds have saved my life. I often say that, and I'm sure people think I'm exaggerating, but I'm truly not. No one will ever quite understand how dangerous my mindset used to be. I felt worthless, hopelessly depressed. I spent a lot of time in mental hospitals and emergency rooms. I attempted suicide many times.

I owe my life to stimulant therapy, and I'm honestly terrified that these meds will lose their effectiveness, or result in increasingly intolerable side-effects.

The Dexedrine shortages really frightened me, and I was terrified that Desoxyn would be ineffective. At the same time, I was very excited to try this ever elusive medication.

Desoxyn baffled me initially. It was not what I had expected. It has taken a bit of time to adjust but I feel wonderful. I feel like myself again, not some productive robot.

Anyone who switches to Desoxyn must be prepared to face challenges and rise above, as they would with any other medication. Desoxyn is the best treatment I have ever found. It has surpassed all my expectations, but I have put a lot of work into understanding how I respond to it and how I can best benefit from it.

Now I'm scared that it will be removed from the market, or I won't be able to afford it. It is tragic how drug companies callously toy with people's lives and health for a profit.

Desoxyn is my medication now. I hope it will be for as long as I need it.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
CheekyMonkey (11-30-11)
Old 11-30-11, 11:24 PM

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
No luck so far. : (

Which is way too bad, because I've had a lot of luck with Desoxyn. 10mg 3x a day is absolutely perfect. Now that I've adjusted a bit more I'm able to experience this medication's full potential.

It seems I've climbed the stimulant ladder to the very top, and I've been more and more impressed with each new medication.

At this point I would rank them in this order...

1. Desoxyn
2. Dexedrine IR
3. Sandoz Adderall IR
4. Barr Adderall IR
5. Vyvanse
6. Corepharma Adderall IR

All methylphenidate products are equally awful for me. I haven't tried Focalin though. The above list is ordered based on greatest therapeutic benefit and least side-effects. It would be different if I was judging their motivating effects. Adderall is by far the most motivating.
I'm guessing everyone reacts differently. I will consider your list whenever I figure myself out!
Old 12-01-11, 02:19 AM

Basically Adderall is one heck of a fling but I wouldn't want to settle down with it. Dexedrine is a very tempting mistress, who is always available, but not quite stable enough for an exclusive commitment. Desoxyn makes an excellent wife - you still have to put a lot of work into the relationship, but things are very smooth and reliable as long as you are respectful and appreciative.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)