ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-04, 04:28 PM

Smarky is on a distinguished road
You ever get this? or am I just really weird!

So I was thinking some things through, working out what the problems are with me at the moment so that I can move forward with what I'm trying to do.

I come across this one problem which I think is really a big deal and I think about it for awhile (to the point that I was gonna post about it here). Then I have a few more thoughts and suddenly I am not confused or see it as a problem anymore. I become distracted for a few minutes then suddenly I can't even remember what I was thinking about and 1) What the problem was or 2) what the soultion was.

I'm just in a state of confusement at myself hmmm...
Old 11-09-04, 07:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
I've had those moments many a times myself..jumping from one thing to another so much I forgot what I was originally thinking of....What I hate the most is when I get totally blank...thinking about something and a sec later....all thought is gone. "Where was I? Wait a minute....Where am I?" and it's even worse when I am talking to someone and in mid sentance......De cat got me tounge and I am standing there like....DUH....It kinda frightens strangers if I at least try to be social....Mudi Fi Putan!

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 11-10-04, 10:33 AM
Banned

Avistar_sg is on a distinguished road
I had those problems too and I really hate such an occurrence. Anyway, optimistically I would consider it a blessing. Being an ignoramus is blissful I guess =)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-04, 11:06 AM

Stabile has a spectacular aura aboutStabile has a spectacular aura about
Oh, Yeah. We do that all the time, only we do it on purpose. The fact that you can't quite remember what you were thinking is the big clue.

Kay and I call that '"thirteen space" and the place we're all at when we write like this "four space." But those are just romantic names; it's not exactly like we go into another dimension.

The reason it's difficult is that language is strictly for four space. The reason you go off into thirteen space is that you can 'see' the problem better there; something about the view from four space is ambiguous.

We all think consciously by using language. But consciousness and awareness aren't the same thing at all, and we all have a rich life full of experience outside the restricted range of conscious awareness.

So the problem is talking about it, and until you realize that you can go out there (and that you're not alone out there) you might not try to have conscious thoughts about what happens there.

The fact that you're posting about it and have a conscious awareness of going out there and fixing the problem means you've already gone a long way towards bringing the experience back into your conscious awareness.

We think of it as being separate, at first, like it was four space and a separate nine space. But thirteen space contains four space; awareness is the same, whether or not you're consciously aware. So it makes sense that some of it begins to leak back into you conscious thoughts.

This is all really just a closely fitting metaphor, of course. It comes from research Kay and I have been involved with for over thirty years, looking at gender specific differences in human communication. We can actually tell you what kind of pattern your neurons are wired in when that happens, and where you (and the thoughts you had) 'go' in your brain when you go out there.

And it is very much tied to AD/HD, particularly the ability usually called multitasking. Some fun, eh?

"There is no normal life, Wyatt.
There's just life. Get on with it."
Old 11-10-04, 12:02 PM
Jr Member

Duckie is on a distinguished road
"Fourth dimension"

Interesting theory, I have this weird thing going on since... long time ago. Example, I have a test problem, so I read it the first time, I freak out because it was so complicated. The second time I read it, I managed to focus and I somehow got the answer. Then after that when I came back to recheck the problem, it became complicated to me again and i couldn't figure out how I solve it before. I really hate that the line of thoughts always escaped me but I learned to note down the answer before it's gone. Oherwise the traceback process is so tiresome. In general I just hate my head. It feel like a dark cloud in there most of the time until something stimulate me. Still staying on the Wellbutrin now, hoping to get some peace soon. I don't really enjoy being in the fourth space because there's nothing there for me. It saved me sometimes in panic situation 'cos it lead me to do something fast but normally man, it's like walking in the drk cloud. I think seeing the fourth dimension like you said is like seeing nothing clear at all.
Old 11-10-04, 02:16 PM

Stabile has a spectacular aura aboutStabile has a spectacular aura about
Hey, Duckie:

It's not really dark out here in thirteen space. The truth is, it's much darker back in four space, where we have words to talk with each other.

But words aren't light, and you don't need to be able to talk about something to make it real.

If you look around a bit, you'll see us waving back at you. You're not alone out there.

Normals try to make us feel like we shouldn't be out there, or we aren't really doing anything good being there. They don't understand.

Kay says to tell you, "Look back in your memory to when it didn't seem dark to you, and go back to thinking about it that way. Someone lied to you about it."

You don't have to worry about losing the answers you get out there; once you get them, you have them forever. What you're describing is the problem of translating them from thirteen space back into four space.

And that you've described exactly. It always feels a little like that, even after you get used to it. It does stop being a pain, once you realize that there's a reason for it.

Think of it like going to the store to buy some fruit and veggies. You have to unlock the car, strap yourself in, start it up and drive, park it, get out and lock up – none of it really related to getting something to eat.

After a while, it won't bother you any more than that. If it does, you might want to talk to your doctor about trying a different drug. We prefer the stimulants for actively using our AD/HD abilities.

That's just our opinion, of course. Your doctor might or might not agree.

–Tom and Kay

"There is no normal life, Wyatt.
There's just life. Get on with it."
Old 11-12-04, 04:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draga
I've had those moments many a times myself..jumping from one thing to another so much I forgot what I was originally thinking of....What I hate the most is when I get totally blank...thinking about something and a sec later....all thought is gone. "Where was I? Wait a minute....Where am I?" and it's even worse when I am talking to someone and in mid sentance......De cat got me tounge and I am standing there like....DUH....It kinda frightens strangers if I at least try to be social....Mudi Fi Putan!
i do this so many times during conversation sometimes i just want to GIVE up...
the worst is when i speak about anything passionately and in midsentence: its like i was soaring through the clouds and my wings just failed to flap...anytime this happens i feel like i'm missing time or something and people that don't know me think i'm crazy, or hilarious, or nutty, or seriously absentminded- or they think i'm kidding. i train at work, and i was explaining something to my group and i was standing in the front of the room, dryboard marker on whiteboard, turned around and literally forgot what i was teaching....that is excrutiating.
I wish that I was bullet proof
(Radiohead/The Bends/Bulletproof..I wish I was)
300 mgs. Wellbutrin XL 20mgs. Adderall XR
Old 11-12-04, 05:01 PM

Draga has disabled reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_wcomboadhd
i do this so many times during conversation sometimes i just want to GIVE up...
the worst is when i speak about anything passionately and in midsentence: its like i was soaring through the clouds and my wings just failed to flap...anytime this happens i feel like i'm missing time or something and people that don't know me think i'm crazy, or hilarious, or nutty, or seriously absentminded- or they think i'm kidding. i train at work, and i was explaining something to my group and i was standing in the front of the room, dryboard marker on whiteboard, turned around and literally forgot what i was teaching....that is excrutiating.
De good thing about that...You can either

1)When You forget, Stop and ask if there are any questions...if someone ask maybe help ya get on the right track.

2)Pretend to challenge them by asking em if they would like to continue.

3)Or just simply turn around and re read what's on the board.

just a thought...but ya know good thing about learning to deal with ADD is eventually we find ways to work around certain things....Of Course my Methods earned me enemies when I worked..

"Dat's not the way I told you to do it!"

"Well, Your way sucks."

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
The Following User Says Thank You to Draga For This Useful Post:
steiverson (10-30-10)
Old 10-30-10, 08:01 AM
Jr Member

steiverson is on a distinguished road
Re: You ever get this? or am I just really weird!

this is a staate of existence for me (losing thoughts, things, and even whole dimensions) I think they should change the dsm/IV title for this thing we share back to minimal dain bammage seems more descriptive and might help some to take our condition more serious, rather than being classified as someone too weak in character to deal with ones own laziness or whatever bs I'm sure we've all had. Never fear: all the best people are mad!
Old 10-30-10, 12:20 PM
Jr Member

savanah is on a distinguished road

steiverson,

Hey, when did they call it minimal brain damage? That is the way I feel, brain damaged. And guess what...I read brain damage...didn't even notice "dain bammage" till I was too lazy to type and thought it would be easier to copy and paste...lol
Old 10-30-10, 12:23 PM
Jr Member

savanah is on a distinguished road

Oh, I am so gonna have to study what Stabile has said. I think I get it. Oops, now I don't...hehehe Really, it is interesting to me.
Old 10-30-10, 03:50 PM

Thanked 13,641 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

When I was diagnosed in 1967, it was called Minimal Brain Dysfunction or MBD. I believe that the terminology began changing in the late 70s or early 80s to ADD and then ADHD.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
savanah (10-31-10)