ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 12-14-14, 08:48 PM

Teach1831 is on a distinguished road
Weird reaction? Would really like advice.

Hello everyone! I'm on Day 6 of 30 mg time-release Vyvanse. Today was very weird, and unlike previous days. Before I explain today's intense and weird reaction, I feel that I need to give a rundown of the previous days. I should mention that I do have anxiety issues, but the psychologist said that my ADHD was causing a lot of my anxiety. I guess I am just looking to someone who is experienced that can help me figure out if my reactions to this drug are normal.

A little about me: I am a female just shy of 30, weight- 141 (after losing 4 lbs this week), athletic build, I lift weights/run 6 days a week (3 days heavy weights, 3 days of cardio) and also smoke (yes, I know- awful- even worse this medicine has made me smoke MORE). I am a teacher.

The good Days 1-4:
For the first time in my life, I feel "normal". I can focus, I much calmer than I normally am, one of my students said I seemed "nicer", my friend said I seemed "more attentive in conversation", my husband said that I "do not feel the need to get everything done all at once", and I am much more social than I normally am during the burst of euphoria that happens in the first 3 hours after taking the medicine. I also talk at a more normal volume than I always have and I do not have a temper.

The bad Days 1-4:
On Day 1 I was awake until 3 AM, which resulted in a slight panic attack, took melatonin on Day 2 and slept wonderfully, and have not taken melatonin since and have slept fine. I have ZERO appetite. When I take the medicine I drink a cup of coffee and then a protein shake for lunch because I make myself. I have lost about 4 lbs this week, which I am not ok with. I am smoking MUCH more than normal, and MUCH more than even I am ok with. My heart rate feels out of control sometimes, and my breathing seems weird. I just breathe heavier than I normally do.

And then today and yesterday:
I woke up and took the medicine later- about 8 AM. I had a cup of coffee and several cigarettes. This week was crazy at school, and my workouts were affected, so I didn't run or do cardio like I normally do. Yesterday and today, I went to lift weights and drank a BCAA during, which I always do. My heart rate was higher than normal according to my heart rate monitor, and I WAS SO OUT OF BREATH. It wasn't during the exercise, but more so after I had completed a set or when I was talking to my workout buddy. I also felt very drained when I done. I just ran my first half marathon a month ago, so I can tell you this is very abnormal for me. I am in the best shape of my life, despite the smoking somehow.

TODAY- I did the same thing, but I had the worst reaction ever. I was out of breath, dizzy, and about an hour after the workout my face started this weird tingling for about a minute. I felt disoriented and just...weird. I thought I was having a mini-stroke. I still don't know if that is what happened but I am super freaked out by it. I also felt very drained.

Then, at about 3 PM I got this awful, depressed feeling and I didn't want to do anything that I would normally do on a Sunday evening. I started to slowly come out of it about 3 hours later. It was the first day that this had happened.

Are these reactions normal? I love the way I feel on this medicine in the morning and during work hours, but I cannot let it affect my workouts or my personal life like this. Honestly, I felt healthier a week ago. I ate better, smoked less, and worked out more. I am scared that this is going to affect my life in a negative way. At 29, I feel that I have coped with ADHD most of my life, but have learned to socially adapt so that my impulsive tendencies do not affect my work/personal life. I made it through college and grad school surprisingly well, and am just wondering if this medicine is worth it at this point. I would really appreciate any advise you can give on your reactions or any help you can offer on how I could improve my experience without these nasty, weird side effects.
Old 12-15-14, 12:07 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,943 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird reaction? Would really like advice.

Eliminate the coffee (and all caffeine) completely. If Vyvanse works for you, then it really does what you can only wish caffeine did.

I've heard other smokers say it makes them want to smoke more. I don't know why, just not as much of a surprise I guess.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 12-16-14, 01:25 AM

clbwithadd is on a distinguished road

I just started taking it as well. Couldn't agree more on the smoking thing. I smoked more today than I have for the past 3 weeks.

I don't have any heart symptoms. I am not a doctor so no medical advice. But try eating a little more and taking it easy while your body adjusts.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-14, 11:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

Meteodan is a jewel in the roughMeteodan is a jewel in the roughMeteodan is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like you are overstimulated. I agree with dvdnvwls, I would cut out the caffeine. At the very least wait until you have a good handle on how the Vyvanse works with your daily rhythms and even then don't drink it in the morning with your dose, but wait until later in the afternoon.

Before Vyvanse, I absolutely *needed* a massive dose of caffeine to get up and moving like a normal human being in the morning. Now, the Vyvanse does this for me much much better. I think you'll find that you don't need caffeine for that any more if the Vyvanse is working as well as you say. I'd wager your side effects will decrease as well. I now only drink caffeine late in the morning to help supplement the Vyvanse after it peaks and reduce some of the anxiety that comes as a side effect, and I've cut my overall daily intake of caffeine by at least 50%.

Smoking probably doesn't help either: nicotine has stimulant properties, which you are stacking on top of amphetamine and caffeine. Frankly, I'd be surprised if you weren't having some of these problems.

Finally, drinking lots of fluids and eating (even if you don't feel like it) are very important.

EDIT: One more thing, since you just started taking the Vyvanse, it'll take a bit before your body gets adjusted to the medication. The insomnia, for one, should fade pretty quickly (at least it did for me).

Good luck!

Last edited by Meteodan; 12-16-14 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: adding some information I forgot
Old 12-16-14, 07:46 PM
Jr Member

geek_girl_913 is on a distinguished road

I know exactly what you're talking about with the side effects. For some context, we're in the same age and weight bracket, and I USED to have a workout regime like that, but that's another story for another day...

But, as someone else mentioned, the coffee first thing in the morning is definitely out. That is one thing that never shifted for me. I can have it later in the day, but if by chance I have it in the morning, that afternoon crash seems to be more likely to happen, and 10x worse.

Try to set a timer and force yourself to eat when you normally would. I found that once I had the first bite, I was actually voraciously hungry. Hunger pangs will eventually return.

And as far as your workout woes, I always found that I would get tanked much quicker during my workouts than on days where I didn't take a dose. This always seemed to be worse on occasions where I took the Vyvanse shortly before I went to the gym (like weekend mornings). If I went to the gym after work and it was later, that feeling was less pronounced, but still present.

I too had that flushed face feeling a few times, and it was scary as s**t. After a while, I found the best mix to have the most productive workouts with minimal impacts on performance were to drink Gatorade G2 instead of plain water during my workouts, and/or some light carbs RIGHT before (sometimes even during the workout I'd have a piece of something), and making sure I had a protein shake or some other sustenance within 20-30 minutes of ending. And depending on the day, the 30 minutes was pushing it. It sounds like you probably already do have a protein shake, but you may be waiting too long or possibly using water in lieu of milk. Switching to milk also helped, as it added more carbs.

No idea why this happens, but I found that this was the best way to combat it. Given the positive impact of carbs before, during, and after, I'd chance a guess that it has something to do with the Vyvanse shifting our metabolism around a bit. Hopefully it works out for you.
Old 12-17-14, 11:31 PM

DMB_Fan85 is on a distinguished road

I have been on Vyvanse for about 3 years and can definitely identify with the smoking, lack of appetite, quick crash, and weekend workout effect. I started out on 30 mg, and have recently gone up to 50 mg. My crashes have become increasingly difficult so I got switched to Focalin 30 mg, but went back to Vyvanse after for a month because it wasnt as effective.

In terms of your workouts, my doctor told me to cut back on using pre-workout and drinking coffee. He says that these stimulants, in addition to the more powerful Vyvanse, can cause an increased heart rate or a decrease in Vyvanse's positive effects because the body has adapted to constant, high stimulation.

I have tried to decrease my added stimulants and it has helped a little. I drink 1 or less cups of coffee a day (which is especially hard when you are constantly craving cigarettes haha), and only take ~1 scoop of pre-workout before lifting (which is also hard when you crave a good pump lol).

I hoped this helped and, for better or worse, it's good to find another lifter who is also a smoker lol.
Old 12-18-14, 05:37 AM
Jr Member

DevanBraden is on a distinguished road

When I first started the Vyvanse, I grew more exhausted more easily. But at the same time, I had the motivation to keep going wile I was at work. A short rest fixed my exhaustion though. I am not sure how that works, especially since some body builders abuse these Meds for their workout. Also, this symptom faded after about a week for me.

Caffeine doesn't seem to overestimate me on the 30 mg capsules, but for others I am sure it has that potential. In fact, I like to have my coffee when I first wake up and am waiting the 30-60 mins for the dose to kick in.

As for the smoking, I tended to,smoke a lot more the first several days too. I think it's because of the increased blood flow and the Brain is trying to get that back to its normal level. Also, I would like to get lost Focused thought while I smoked. Now half a cigarette is again all I need.
Old 01-03-15, 05:43 AM

chinaski77 is on a distinguished road

I have had some side effects with Vyvanse as well and was wondering if anyone else had also. I have been on Vyvanse 60mg for 2 years now (started on 30mg then went up) and I take 2.5mg to 5mg of Adderall late in the day if I need it. I am 37 yr old female ER nurse. I have always been on the thin side but since started Vyvanse I can't break 100lbs. I hover between 98-100lbs and I am 5'6. I have started to try to drink protein shakes to increase my weight, but I am also going to start working out to increase muscle mass (bc I am lazy and am just a rail lol) so I thought that would sort of help me gain some weight. So I do have the loss of appetite. I am not a heavy smoker I will have one occasionally so I have not noticed that side effect though I have heard people say that. My drinking alcohol GREATLY decreased because I feel less anxious and don't feel like I need it at the end of the day like I used to. My focus is better, I was taking classes and working and got A's in all my chemistry and physics courses which I had previously gotten B's and C's in. It has really made a huge difference in my life and I am upset with myself for not noticing in sooner.

The one thing I don't like and I wanted to know if anyone else has this. Around 4-5 hours after I take my Vyvanse I notice my heart rate increase, my chest feels sort of anxious like. I get really sleepy feeling. It is just odd that I notice my heart rate go up way later and then I get sleepy. If I take a small dose of Adderall that feeling all goes away. Does anyone else have this? I am wondering if I need to decrease my dose some?

Also the first time I took Vyvanse I feel asleep it made me so tired. Anyone else?

E.