ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-17, 11:22 AM

Yossioo is on a distinguished road
How's your basic problem solving/comprehension

Mine's terrible. I feel like I have an underlying learning disability.

Any similarities? Insight appreciated.
Old 04-18-17, 11:35 AM
Jr Member

Helloiamdani is on a distinguished road
Re: How's your basic problem solving/comprehension

Depends. If my adrenaline gets amped up, sometimes my problems solving skills aren't so bad. Otherwise, I tend to over-analyze or fixate on a particular aspect, often I overlook an important detail, and often I over-dramatize the issue because my imagination runs away with it. In sum ... bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Helloiamdani For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (04-18-17)
Old 04-18-17, 11:55 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,943 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Working memory - including the type of memory you'd use to keep Part A in mind while you compare it with Part B, and the type you'd use to remember an instruction manual, and the type for reminding yourself what to do next - is always impaired by ADHD. It's worse for some people than it is for others; some aren't bothered too much, others can't solve their way out of the proverbial paper bag.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Helloiamdani (04-18-17), OhLookABunny (04-18-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-17, 12:13 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 25,488 Times in 12,520 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of problem solving?
if it needs some kind of an orginal, quick solution, yes!(if I'm in the right frame of mind).
Also, i have a good memory for random details, which can be super helpful at work.

If it's like word problems or logic, absolutely, definitely, totally, no.
Old 04-18-17, 12:24 PM
Jr Member

I was just reminded of that one time I took Formal Logic in college, pre-diagnosis. *shudders*
Old 04-18-17, 12:29 PM
Contributor

OhLookABunny has a spectacular aura aboutOhLookABunny has a spectacular aura about

I confess to envying my roommate who enjoys reading history and historical novels, and can follow them and remember who did what, and when, and why it was important. History was a subject I disliked as a kid and teen, was somewhat more interested in in college but found I had to study like crazy and then whatever knowledge I had would degenerate into mushy vagueness over the next few years. "There was a war, and then this king did something to do with Prussia and then some other stuff and something about World War I" - that'd be the remainder of those carefully studied pages of textbooks.

I became more interested in history and news after 9/11 happened, though I had a lot happen in my personal life that gradually has distracted me from following events in the world as closely. And politics, I don't want to watch much of that because I find it depressing. I also tend to skim headlines rather than read articles, and I don't watch videos unless it's urgent breaking news.

I also like to read novels and write, but plot is the most difficult part for me. I've always joked that I keep my favorite whodunits because I won't remember who the murderer was and it'll all be new to me the next time around.

Last edited by namazu; 04-18-17 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: Please avoid political discussion -- see ADDF guidelines.
Old 04-18-17, 12:40 PM
Jr Member

SecretlyaFish is on a distinguished road

I have great problem solving skills but finding the motivation to put that into action is something else entirely. I've always been really intelligent and inquisitive and thoughtful, but often when its my OWN problems I need to think for its more difficult, the fear of failure gets overwhelming and I often just put it out my mind and focus on something that doesn't cause so much anxiety. Of course, the longer the problem remains the bigger it can get and the worse your anxiety can get due to not dealing with it and avoiding it.

I can usually work through other peoples problems quite well though.
Old 04-18-17, 12:44 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 25,488 Times in 12,520 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helloiamdani View Post
I was just reminded of that one time I took Formal Logic in college, pre-diagnosis. *shudders*
MATH WITH WORDS.
I passed that class by guessing and also the teacher was kind of sneaky about having read the material (which I had).
Old 04-18-17, 01:05 PM

Yossioo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Working memory - including the type of memory you'd use to keep Part A in mind while you compare it with Part B, and the type you'd use to remember an instruction manual, and the type for reminding yourself what to do next - is always impaired by ADHD. It's worse for some people than it is for others; some aren't bothered too much, others can't solve their way out of the proverbial paper bag.
Well,I'm Mr proverbial paper bag.

Work has been horrendous. Fired on two occasions.

School was equally horrendous. Mocked for been 'slow' and 'stupid' and 'retarded'. "Hey,Yossi,are you disabled?"

I walk around in a daze,in a fog,in a dream. I'm not in tune with the 'here and now'. If there's a hard way of doing something,I'll find it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yossioo For This Useful Post:
Simargl (04-18-17)
Old 04-18-17, 01:45 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossioo View Post
Well,I'm Mr proverbial paper bag.

Work has been horrendous. Fired on two occasions.

School was equally horrendous. Mocked for been 'slow' and 'stupid' and 'retarded'. "Hey,Yossi,are you disabled?"

I walk around in a daze,in a fog,in a dream. I'm not in tune with the 'here and now'. If there's a hard way of doing something,I'll find it.
My 10th grade Chemistry teacher called me a 'retard', once. I didn't complain about it, because by that point I had accepted that I was utterly deficient. Also been fired.

I'm new to all of this so I wish I had some good advice. What I can say though, is that it is what it is- your brain works differently and some people are just turds.
Old 04-18-17, 02:03 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,231 Posts
Simargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud of

I guess it depends on the type of problem.

I tend to chase mysteries until I have an answer.

There are plenty of times when I've made things harder than necessary but I look for shortcuts or creative solutions whenever possible.
Old 04-18-17, 07:16 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,943 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Yossi: If you believe that you may have some kind of separate learning disability, I encourage you to tell whichever doctor is likely to check into it. Even if they test you and say "No, you don't", you still found out important information.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-18-17)
Old 04-19-17, 01:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,650 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Problem solving skills - excellent. Comprehension skills - if I heard everything you said right. My brain is slow too on occasion so it's kind of like a delayed processing for me sometimes. I'll get it if I hear it but I have to run what you told me through my mind more than once sometimes.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Jenn1202 (04-24-17)
Old 04-20-17, 03:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,332 Times in 12,775 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

If its math beyond adding, subtracting, multiplying or division Im f**ked. I always wondered if I have dyscalcuia(sp)

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 04-20-17, 03:24 AM

lost_dream is on a distinguished road

[b]

Pretty descent. I'm not quick on my feet always but can get a plausible answer. Issue is I have a difficulty building up to that solution. Details are hard to arrange and even seem random or scattered