ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 05-08-17, 02:20 PM

FlipperTheWhale is on a distinguished road
Heredity question

Not sure if this has been discussed much or if it's even valid. Let me know if not.

Anyone that has been genetically tested have this come up in their DNA?
It is my strongest bad genetic trait.

rs1800497(T;T)
A1/A1: Bad at avoidance of errors. 0.25x lower OCD; 0.56x lower Tardive Diskinesia; higher ADHD

Apparently it has something to do with less dopamine receptors. Not looking for medical advice, just curious if anyone is similar and what it means to them?

Last edited by FlipperTheWhale; 05-08-17 at 02:33 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlipperTheWhale For This Useful Post:
l_ruth_ (05-09-17), psychopathetic (05-18-17)
Old 05-18-17, 01:53 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,756 Times in 12,449 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heredity question

I know there's some promising evidence that genetic testing can help predict certain mental health issues or what medications work with someone but I dont think there is anything widely accepted yet. I cant remember where I read it but I thought there was a study done on parents passing on adhd to their kids and in particular, the likelihood of a father passing it to his children was greater than if the mother had adhd.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
FlipperTheWhale (05-18-17), psychopathetic (05-18-17)
Old 05-19-17, 11:32 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Hi FlipperTheWhale

There are people who have genetic predisposition associated with ADHD, but do not have ADHD.

There are people diagnosed with ADHD who do not test positive for any known genetic predisposition.

Do you have ADHD?

If you do not have symptoms of ADHD from early childhood, you will not get ADHD now.

m
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I

Last edited by mildadhd; 05-19-17 at 11:43 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
someothertime (05-24-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-17, 11:45 AM

Thanked 22,940 Times in 10,577 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipperTheWhale View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed much or if it's even valid. Let me know if not.

Anyone that has been genetically tested have this come up in their DNA?
It is my strongest bad genetic trait.

rs1800497(T;T)
A1/A1: Bad at avoidance of errors. 0.25x lower OCD; 0.56x lower Tardive Diskinesia; higher ADHD

Apparently it has something to do with less dopamine receptors. Not looking for medical advice, just curious if anyone is similar and what it means to them?
Interesting. Was this testing very expensive?

I'd be interested if I could get this done on myself, my daughter, and my two
grandchildren. To compare the results. We have a handful of diagnoses that
are shared among us: adhd, autism, anxiety, depression, migraine, and
fibromyalgia.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 05-19-17, 12:05 PM

mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

FlipperTheWhale

All research on ADHD I have ever seen, writes about both environmental factors and genetic factors.

Not just genetic factors.

Which is extremely important from early prevention, lessening of severity and treatment perspectives.

m
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I

Last edited by mildadhd; 05-19-17 at 12:20 PM..
Old 05-19-17, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Raw, uninterpreted genetic data file** (Must not be used for medical or diagnostic purposes).
Quote:
Considerations:
Keep in mind that having one of these variants does not necessarily mean you will develop the condition.
These reports do not cover all possible genetic variants that could influence risk for these conditions.
Other non-genetic factors can also influence risk for these conditions...
-23 and Me website

m

Last edited by mildadhd; 05-19-17 at 01:58 PM..
Old 05-19-17, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

I was just curious if others had similar results. I had many issues growing up and into adulthood, but have never been formally checked for ADHD. But reading up on it, I suspect I may have some form of it. Just an informal research on my part.
Old 05-23-17, 01:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

fperkins33 is a glorious beacon of lightfperkins33 is a glorious beacon of lightfperkins33 is a glorious beacon of lightfperkins33 is a glorious beacon of lightfperkins33 is a glorious beacon of lightfperkins33 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Hi FlipperTheWhale

There are people who have genetic predisposition associated with ADHD, but do not have ADHD.

There are people diagnosed with ADHD who do not test positive for any known genetic predisposition.

Do you have ADHD?

If you do not have symptoms of ADHD from early childhood, you will not get ADHD now.

m
Whether one has symptoms of ADHD from early childhood is unfortunately very different from whether one has had recognized, or even suspected, symptoms of ADHD in childhood.

Getting a diagnosis in adulthood of an executive function disorder based on childhood presentation of symptoms is sometimes like using uncut lumber to build the saw.

Reliable/informative genetic testing for psychiatric disorders is a long ways off, whether for preventive, predictive or treatment purposes. Sadly, the DEA has a lot more say about current treatments than the FDA...

The Following User Says Thank You to fperkins33 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-23-17)
Old 05-23-17, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fperkins33 View Post
Whether one has symptoms of ADHD from early childhood is unfortunately very different from whether one has had recognized, or even suspected, symptoms of ADHD in childhood.

Yes, my mistake, I should have wrote children must have had symptoms after approx the ages of 4-7

Hyperactivity, impulsivity and inattention are normal in early human childhood, before approx the ages of 4-7.

I was addressing FlipperTheWhale, who is not a young child, and that if an adult did not have symptoms as a young child, then a person would not get ADHD, as an adult.

People who have ADHD (neurodevelopmental condition) do not develop self regulation skills then lose them.

The guidelines have changed to accommodate people who do not remember early childhood, and have no way to confirm.

But biologically all people who have deficits of self regulation, do to the ADHD neurodevelopmental condition never developed the self regulation they lack in the first place.

It is extremely important not forget, even if they change the guidelines to accommodate people who do not have memories or ways to confirm lack of development.

So we can understand the origins of the condition in general, for future research, prevention and lessening of severity purposes, etc.

Even if the person cannot remember these developmental facts, these facts are still true for everyone who really has ADHD, and not Traumatic brain injury or other condition that mimics ADHD.

There is no brain damage in ADHD, there is a lack of development.

m

Last edited by mildadhd; 05-23-17 at 06:16 PM..
Old 05-23-17, 06:23 PM

What I cannot figure out, is how a child could be prescribed medication before the age of 7, if there is no way to confirm if the child is just late to develop or really has ADHD, especially if the child presents mild to moderate symptoms.

M
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
someothertime (05-24-17)
Old 05-31-17, 08:09 AM

The fact is my childhood was quite chaotic. Alcoholic father and older brothers left little time for my evaluation of needs. I am not even sure anyone knew about ADHD in my circle of life. My mom told me the school said I had tested very high in a subject and should attend a special school, but they didn't have the resources for that. So I never was never able to realize what ever that was. I started having panic attacks in my late teens and had no idea what they were. Kept it to myself for many years and mostly avoided a lot of things.

So being diagnosed in youth is not an option for everyone. What I remember about myself. I was the clever class clown, but the kind most teachers like. I could only express my self with humor. I could barely read out loud. Never did home work. In fact could barely speak in public. Book reports were a nightmare. I passed by listening in class. Extremely shy.
Fun loving. Small group of friends.
Old 05-31-17, 08:24 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,756 Times in 12,449 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
What I cannot figure out, is how a child could be prescribed medication before the age of 7, if there is no way to confirm if the child is just late to develop or really has ADHD, especially if the child presents mild to moderate symptoms.

M
Couldnt the same be said for an adult? Since there are no definitive tests for adhd and a lot of it is diagnosed based on case history and opinion, prescribing to an adult also be like a crap shoot? If you want to know my son's story without me hashing it here, its a sticky in children's diagnosis. Maybe I am misunderstanding you though. Medication saved his life.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 05-31-17, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Couldnt the same be said for an adult? Since there are no definitive tests for adhd and a lot of it is diagnosed based on case history and opinion, prescribing to an adult also be like a crap shoot? If you want to know my son's story without me hashing it here, its a sticky in children's diagnosis. Maybe I am misunderstanding you though. Medication saved his life.
What I mean is..

Hyperactivity, inattention and lack of impulse control, are normal up to the age of 4-7.

For some children these traits are normal to the age 4, but it is also normal for other children who are slower to develop to have these traits up to the age of 7.

So unless the children have severe symptoms how do they know if the child has ADHD or is just a slow learner, until age 7?

M