ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-17, 08:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light
Mother just told me that I don't have ADD only a bad attitude

I'm filled with rage and could give two ****s about the people I leave behind when I decide to just put and end to all of this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd_ For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-17-17), namazu (05-16-17)
Old 05-16-17, 09:18 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 17,216 Times in 8,340 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mother just told me that I don't have ADD only a bad attitude

I'm sorry your mom has that attitude.

You can write her off as ignorant and unhelpful.

Are you able to get treatment for your depression and ADHD at the moment?

Do you have any good outlets to channel/deal with your rage? Exercise, video games, writing, meditation, other?
Old 05-16-17, 09:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
I'm sorry your mom has that attitude.

You can write her off as ignorant and unhelpful.

Are you able to get treatment for your depression and ADHD at the moment?

Do you have any good outlets to channel/deal with your rage? Exercise, video games, writing, meditation, other?
I think that I need to make some friends but now that I'm older people including few friends I've had over the years are busy with their families or gfs now. No, I am not getting treatment for my depression, only my ADD, don't have health insurance either so that counts me out getting decent counseling whereas 'state funded' programs in my experience are just terrible as far as the unqualified 'therapists' they put in there, I might as well go to the DMV to get counseling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd_ For This Useful Post:
namazu (05-16-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-17, 09:59 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Traveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to all

Ignore your mom, she just doesn't know any better.

I don't pay attention during conversations. Not even when I talk to myself.
Old 05-16-17, 10:27 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,682 Times in 8,861 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Mothers sometimes hang on very tightly to the false idea that their kid is perfectly normal.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Gypsy Willow (05-17-17), psychopathetic (05-18-17)
Old 05-17-17, 12:16 AM

weswes is on a distinguished road

sorry and that sucks. is she educated about adhd?
Old 05-17-17, 03:58 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,419 Times in 12,268 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Could it be both? I know for me it can be.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 05-17-17, 04:45 AM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I don't expect that Lloyd has any illusions about his cheery optimistic attitude.

It's getting told ADHD has nothing to do with it that's galling.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 05-17-17, 08:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

Johnny Slick is just really niceJohnny Slick is just really niceJohnny Slick is just really niceJohnny Slick is just really nice

It could be that his mom has (undiagnosed) ADHD too. In my experience people who have the condition but who just have had to live with it all their lives are pretty much the most unsympathetic people towards ADHD there are, and, well, there's definitely a genetic component to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Slick For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-17-17), Little Missy (05-17-17)
Old 05-17-17, 08:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,383 Times in 12,279 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd_ View Post
I'm filled with rage and could give two ****s about the people I leave behind when I decide to just put and end to all of this.

I'm so sorry you have to put up with that. It's so frustrating when the people who are supposed to he closest to us are so dismissive ajd invalidating. And infuriatingly wrong.

My mom totally denies the possibility that I might have any sort of mental health problem. Like dvd said I think it's mainly because she thinks I'm perfect and can't see my struggles but also because she doesn't like the idea that I might be struggling. She doesn't want tò believe that her previous daughter is suffering from a lifelong impairing disorder....and one that I probably inherited from her!!

Also like Johnny said if she has adhd herself your problems will seem very normal to her...

I get so mad with my family too for their views on mental health and particularly my mental health.

It doesn't matter though what your mother thinks. You (and your psychiatrist) know you've got adhd and it's not a bad attitude and you know yourself better than anyone else. Don't let ignorant people taking about stuff they know nothing about get you down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Johnny Slick (05-17-17), ToneTone (05-17-17)
Old 05-17-17, 10:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

Gypsy Willow is on a distinguished road

Parents sometimes don't want to admit their child has AD(H)D because they think it's somehow their fault. Even though it's not, so they are in denial. I'm a 52 year old grown woman and my father makes a face like I am evil anytime I mention ADD. Even though he clearly had/has it! LOL! He was hyper as a child and can't sit still very long and hates to read. Gets irritated easily, frustrated easily yet highly intelligent. Of course, his generation didn't know what it was.
Old 05-17-17, 02:56 PM
Mr. BllVt

Your father's generation did know it was something - they just gave it different names, and they often thought it was because the child was immoral or had bad parents. Not very different from ancient people believing that all diseases and all unexplained problems were forms of divine punishment.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Gypsy Willow (Yesterday)
Old 05-17-17, 11:53 PM
Jr Member

l_ruth_ has disabled reputation

Lloyd hope you are going okay x
The Following User Says Thank You to l_ruth_ For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (05-18-17)
Old 05-18-17, 09:27 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 12,009 Times in 5,966 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Mothers sometimes hang on very tightly to the false idea that their kid is perfectly normal.
I find this to be so true!

I'm sorry your mother isn't more supportive. Gah that's tough not to have her trust :*(.

Please take good care of yourself.

(((Hugs)))

((((((((((((((MOM))))))))))))))
I'll always fondly remember.