ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-03-08, 10:47 PM

ttjc is on a distinguished road
New side effect..weird

Maybe I have not noticed it until recently but I have noticed that I have become fixated on my head/hair. If I am not rubbing my fingers through it constantly, I am twirling it non stop. I also find that I am scratching my scalp more than usual.

I do not have the cooties or dandruff. What gives? Could it be combining caffiene with the adderall? Thanks!
Old 07-03-08, 11:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all
Re: New side effect..weird

Stimulants are known to produce "stereotypic" activities in mice and humans.
Examples in mice "sniffing, self-grooming, licking, and head weaving"

Its possible it will get less over time. I read of adjunct medications that might
counter it to. Though can not remember what.
Old 07-04-08, 12:16 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,343 Times in 6,093 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Could it be combining caffiene with the adderall? Thanks!
Could stop the caffeine or cut down on it and see if that helps.

I have long hair and twirl the end of my braid all time time but I have done this forever and even after the adderall wears off I do it - it is like a nervous habit to me. The hair twirling is less annoying then constantly picking the dirt out from under my finger nails - I finally broke myself of that one. I do not know if it gets worse on caffeine but I do know it does when I get nervous or tense

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-08, 03:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53406

That thread on histamine and methamphetamine has a study that showed :

Quote:
Pretreatment with a precursor of HA, L-histidine (750mg/kg), significantly inhibited the METH (3 mg/kg)-induced stereotyped behavior
Human equivalent dose (HED) would be 121 mg/kg.

500mg L-histidine tablets are sold over the counter in the US.

Possible excess histamine production in the body from L-histidine could be blocked with an antihistamine that can not cross the blood brain barrier(like fexofenadine).

Oh this suggest a first generation antihistamine like benadryl might make stereotyped stimulant behavior worse.