ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-20, 10:29 AM

KanagarooPower is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Communicational "deficits" related to problems saying HELLO?!

I'm so sick of this particular issue.

Lot's of people are nice and accept strange replies and communications. NOT ALL.

Some folks enforce their greeting standards... and some of them are in higher places like ... positions of authority or people that think you're supposed to follow some sort of "rich or powerful greetings protocol".

I can't say Hi prpoerly some time. I begin thinking about it over and over. (To me it's just comorbid social anxiety with no specific "ADHD specific" features.)

What do you guys think? What's the deal?

Is "How are you?" always going to be problem?

T I R E D O F T H I S
The Following User Says Thank You to KanagarooPower For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (04-16-20)
Old 04-15-20, 10:30 PM
Contributor

mrzyphl is a jewel in the roughmrzyphl is a jewel in the roughmrzyphl is a jewel in the rough
Re: Communicational "deficits" related to problems saying HELLO?!

It could be rejection sensitive dysphoria (RSD). Probably more to it than that though.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrzyphl For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-16-20)
Old 04-15-20, 11:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about

This reminds me to my coworker. She demanded me to "change", starting by greeting our fellow coworkers if we happen to pass each other. I tried it several times with her but got mostly ignored, so now I think "Why bother?". I never greet anyone at my workplace anymore. Even when I passed by her, I just ignored her. She complained "Can you at least say something?", but I had no words to retaliate. I could only think in my head, "See? That's how being ignored when greeting you feels uncomfortable, even though YOU were the one who DEMANDED it".
Little Missy (04-16-20), Lunacie (04-16-20), stef (04-16-20)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-20, 12:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,260 Times in 12,421 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I hate being asked,"how I am" or asking someone the same. SO intrusive.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
KanagarooPower (04-20-20)
Old 04-16-20, 02:35 PM

Thanked 23,260 Times in 12,421 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I usually do a "Hi-ii" and I sing it.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 04-16-20, 03:34 PM
Contributor

Wrenchman is just really niceWrenchman is just really niceWrenchman is just really niceWrenchman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post

I worked in my family auto parts business forever. Once when I was about 19-20. there was this older gentleman that came in to the store and he seemed to be a very unfriendly man. I tried to make conversation with him while my dad was in the back hunting a part for him. So I asked him how we was doing today and his reply really changed my thought process... he replied " you don't give a damn how I am doing but I am doing ok" We so often use that as a ice breaker but we truly have a whole plate of our own issues that we have no room for someone elses issues. I try not to ask that anymore but to my closest and most intimate friends who I truly care about.
Official Disclaimer: Due to the nature of life experiences ..... This reply is solely based on the experiences experienced by the poster above. The life experiences he has experienced has led him to this deduction. This post is not supposed to reflect the views and opinions of everyone here at addforums.com. you may now return to your regularly scheduled program.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wrenchman For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (04-16-20), KanagarooPower (04-20-20), Little Missy (04-16-20), namazu (04-16-20)
Old 04-16-20, 03:54 PM

Thanked 27,921 Times in 13,466 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I think about it, the very standard " Hello, how are you" in French solves many problems like this at work. you really can't say much else unless you're already friends. and it's insanely rude to ignore a greeting in any situation, so that rarely happens.

someone who is purposely being unpleasant will master the "icy Bonjour" or the "very phony bonjour".
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (04-16-20), KanagarooPower (04-20-20), Little Missy (04-16-20), namazu (04-16-20), Wrenchman (04-16-20)
Old 04-16-20, 08:24 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all
You Don't Have to Play the Game, But Why Not Make Things Easy on Yourself?

I have sometimes struggled with the question "How are you?" More when I was young, but sometimes even now if I'm hurting over something--and even more so if my questioner ought to know I am hurting. I try to use this experience to remember that it can be an insensitive thing to say to someone else.

This little ditty helped me quite a bit when I was young:
Don't speak of your aches or your indigestion.
"How are you?" is a greeting, and not a question.
So it's a greeting, a formula. It's not even a rhetorical question...it's a question to which there are only a few--very few--prescribed answers. "Fine," "Great," "Not too bad." To be followed immediately by "How 'bout yourself?"

So it's a brainless--potentially thoughtless-- greeting used by plenty of smart well-meaning people. Don't take it personally. And don't overthink it. Practice the answer until it rolls off your tongue like a rap song. It really does make life easier.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
KanagarooPower (04-20-20), Little Missy (04-17-20), namazu (04-16-20), stef (04-16-20), Wrenchman (04-17-20)
Old 04-17-20, 03:22 AM
ADDvanced Member

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about

My default answer when someone asks me "How are you?" is a literal one. I mostly answer "Thankfully still alive".
Old 04-17-20, 10:37 PM

Thanked 5,771 Times in 2,470 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Don't over think it. I used to work with a guy who thought he could dictate how we greeted him. He even berated the executives. Solution? Didn't bother greeting him at all for several months. Then after he accepted my Hi because his personality disorder preferred Hi to being ignored. Greet people how you greet them. If they don't like it they change stuffed.
Old 04-20-20, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
I agree, and I respect people who don't want to engage.
The Following User Says Thank You to KanagarooPower For This Useful Post:
stef (04-20-20)
Old 04-20-20, 02:57 PM

Cool Re: You Don't Have to Play the Game, But Why Not Make Things Easy on Yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
I have sometimes struggled with the question "How are you?" More when I was young, but sometimes even now if I'm hurting over something--and even more so if my questioner ought to know I am hurting. I try to use this experience to remember that it can be an insensitive thing to say to someone else.

This little ditty helped me quite a bit when I was young:
Don't speak of your aches or your indigestion.
"How are you?" is a greeting, and not a question.
So it's a greeting, a formula. It's not even a rhetorical question...it's a question to which there are only a few--very few--prescribed answers. "Fine," "Great," "Not too bad." To be followed immediately by "How 'bout yourself?"

So it's a brainless--potentially thoughtless-- greeting used by plenty of smart well-meaning people. Don't take it personally. And don't overthink it. Practice the answer until it rolls off your tongue like a rap song. It really does make life easier.

Yeah I mean I just want the right to lightly gesture hello. "A man who cant say hello properly blalalala... " I say hello to people with friendly faces. I cant spot a phony like *snap* so it makes it hard to adjust myself after I find out they are using the communication differently. Leaves me wide open. Comes back to bite often.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KanagarooPower For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-08-20), stef (04-20-20)