ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 05-22-20, 02:22 PM

d1sast3rp1ece is on a distinguished road
is it possible to talk to my therapist about ADD?

let me clarify before i even begin, i am not trying to self diagnose myself right now. i am not diagnosed with add, i am simply just thinking that it could be a possibility that i have it.
so recently, i've been doing some research on add. i dont really remember how it started, but i think i saw a post about add on some social media website about it and my first thought was "thats not what its like for everyone?". i started doing research and i suddenly realized oh wow... this hits a bit too close to home. im sure a lot of people in this forum know and understand that kind of story.
long story short, i know the advice everyone gives out is to talk to your regular doctor about it. however, with everything going on in the world right now, i dont know when i'm going to have an appointment with that doctor. however, i've been going to a therapist for some time now for depression/anxiety, and we've moved to online meetings. do you think its possible to bring it up with her and see possibly what she thinks some good steps would be?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d1sast3rp1ece For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-22-20), Lunacie (05-22-20), namazu (05-22-20)
Old 05-22-20, 05:02 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,888 Times in 11,029 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: is it possible to talk to my therapist about ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1sast3rp1ece View Post
do you think its possible to bring it up with her and see possibly what she thinks some good steps would be?
Absolutely! That seems like a good place to start.

Be aware, though, that clinicians vary in their knowledge about ADHD. Some are less familiar with how it presents in adults.

In any case, whether or not you eventually get a diagnosis of ADHD, there may be some ideas that you can adapt to your own life for dealing with the issues that you relate to.

Best wishes!
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-22-20)
Old 05-22-20, 07:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,602 Times in 12,844 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

As Namazu wrote, not all therapists, or doctors, know very much about ADHD.

I think a good place to start would be asking your therapist whether she would
feel comfortable discussing the possibility with you.

Write up a list of the things that made life a struggle for you and send it to her.
Then you can talk about how things have had an impact on your life personally.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-22-20), namazu (05-22-20)
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

as i know even if your doc/therapist doesnt know much about as i know there is a standard test for diagnosing ( a form that you fill or, choose from multiple choice)

also telling your hyperactive or impulsive symptoms would help, normally without meds i am able to read a book half an hour or listen to a lesson carefuly for 20minutes, other 20 not that fruitful
some docs doubted that i had adhd, but when i tell them about how i interrupt people, cant wait turn, having tempo with my foot etc. not only telling . i interrupt my doctors and therapists too during an appointment

my impulsiveness makes it obvious, find yours , what is obvious about your adhd
they didnt have any doubt

if you feel like you have ADHD, try to make an assumption , which type?
Inattentive
Hyperactive
Combined

?
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (Yesterday)
Old Today, 11:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,602 Times in 12,844 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

It's not really a test that rules a diagnosis in or out. It's more of an evaluation
to help the therapist or doctor understand the symptoms.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (Today)