ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-12, 07:09 PM
Committee Member

Bethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant future
Post This introduction is kinda long, like my username....

I'm terrible with introductions, but um...

Boring things first: I'm Elizabeth (hence "Bethylphenidate"), I'm 25 years old, and I live in Massachusetts.

When I was 8 years old, I began seeing a Dr. who diagnosed me with ADHD, combined type. Throughout childhood, I'd seen several different professionals who confirmed the diagnosis, and I was prescribed Ritalin and then Dexedrine. The summer before high school, I opted to stop therapy and medication because although I knew ADHD is a hurdle, I thought it was something I could manage on my own. I came to accept it, almost as if to say, "ADHD is a huge component of my personality--the good and the bad aspects of it--and I love it!" While I realize I might not necessarily be able to manage it on my own, I still to this day definitely accept and yes, love it!

I elected to see a therapist when I was 17, and again, the ADHD diagnosis was confirmed. I sought help, but I was hesitant to take any medications for it. I'd confided that I was susceptible to abusing them, but the psychiatrist I was referred to prescribed Adderall XR. After a brief stint of abuse, I stopped seeing that therapist/psychiatrist altogether for that sole reason. I "cut myself off," so to speak.

It's been 8 years since I've "seen" anyone regarding this. I trust myself that medication abuse would no longer be an issue, but I have other, unrelated reasons for which I'm still hesitant about taking anything. And it's not just the medication, but the whole stigma attached to ADHD, and the mental health "industry" in itself (which I have qualms with but this is neither the time nor place.) Perhaps I was just stubborn as a child so therapy didn't work, and now in adulthood, maybe it's just a matter of finding the right therapist? But I digress...

As I mature, I'm realizing it's not all about "will"; there really is something "wrong" (for lack of better word!) with me that needs to be taken care of. I need to do SOMETHING. I'm not here for answers because it's all a personal decision, I know that. But I think this is a great first step for me, and so I'm glad I finally joined this forum. So, hello everyone!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bethylphenidate For This Useful Post:
ana futura (10-01-12), Brob2 (01-13-12), Drewbacca (10-02-12), rickymooston (10-02-12), stef (10-07-12)
Old 01-12-12, 07:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,146 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: This introduction is kinda long, like my username....

Welcome to the forums!

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 10-01-12, 09:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

Targaryen will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-01-12, 09:47 PM
Committee Member

Bethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant future

Thank you both! I feel so "at home" here. <3
The Following User Says Thank You to Bethylphenidate For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-02-12)
Old 10-01-12, 09:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Targaryen will become famous soon enough

Your welcome. I love your profile picture, that is an awesome game.
Old 10-01-12, 11:27 PM
Committee Member

Thank you, Targaryen! It definitely is. It's one of the things I can "hyperfocus" on.
Old 10-02-12, 12:57 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,135 Times in 8,154 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!
Old 10-02-12, 03:54 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

rickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nice

Hi elizabeth, I am not medicated. Sometimes i wonder if thsts a mistake.

Welcome here.
Bethylphenidate (10-07-12)
Old 10-07-12, 01:16 PM
Committee Member

I'm with you there, rickymooston. It's been about 13 years since I've been medicated; I asked to be taken off them when I was 12 and the shrink okayed it. I too wonder if that was a mistake. I might be going back on medication at the end of the month, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if I'm doing the "right" thing.

To medicate or not to medicate? It's a double edged sword. No, no... it's more like a Chinese throwing star.
Old 10-07-12, 01:24 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

hi and welcome. Look forward to getting to know you.
Old 10-07-12, 01:29 PM
Committee Member

Thanks, SquarePeg. Right back atcha!