ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-12, 03:03 AM
Jr Member

kattterina has a spectacular aura aboutkattterina has a spectacular aura about
Cool hello! :)

I'm brand new here and I'm mostly lurking and searching for now.

Anyways,

I'm 21, Female, and I was diagnosed with ADHD only about a year ago. I'm a primarily inattentive ADD person.
how i was diagnosed
I actually came to the idea of this diagnosis (before seeing a psychiatrist for it) on my own by accident. I can't remember exactly what I googled, but it was a type of 'out of frustration' google search that lead me to read about adult ADHD and ADD.

It became very obvious, very quickly that what I had was ADHD. Amongst many other things, I would lose myself in my mind for hours and hours, have trouble keeping attention to people when they were speaking, and I was always late since I can remember.

No one would have ever suspected me for ADHD during childhood though. I was a quiet (because I was thinking of other things while you're speaking lol), obedient child. I also have a brother who was diagnosed with ADHD for all the well known symptoms. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" ya know?

seeing the doc
Once I realized I had might have ADHD, I did lots of research and self searching. I asked my husband about my habits and his thoughts on it. He agreed that I might have it. The next step was to get back with my parents insurance to get psych care (thanks obama) and then get an appointment with a psychiatrist.

Psychiatrist was reluctant because of what I like to call my 'past of doom' (I had a rough childhood). She did few tests, but because a lot of the symptoms could also mean anxiety as a child and now, she thought it would be best to do a really objective test which was the Conners Continuous Performance Test. I did a bad job / passed lol and was diagnosed with ADHD.

the meds
She started me on Ritalin, and it did work but not for as long as I needed. It also had 'come down' effects wayyy too quickly... Next was Adderall and I've been on it for the majority of the year diagnosed. This along with lots of self help books and awareness of my condition has helped me gain a lot of progress.

why i'm here
i really just want to see how other people with inattentive type of add and adhd in general are dealing with the condition in various parts of life. it is very comforting to just know there are people out there who understand what you're going through and are dealing with the same thing.

I also have a ADHD blog on the tumblr: kattterina.tumblr.com but I'd rather blog on here if there is a blog since it's kind of difficult to get/give feedback on tumblr.
The Following User Says Thank You to kattterina For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (10-06-12)
Old 10-06-12, 07:05 AM

Thanked 31,948 Times in 14,402 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: hello! :)

welcome to the forums!
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
kattterina (10-20-12)
Old 10-06-12, 11:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

Seravance will become famous soon enough

I'm reading your Tumblr right now and I like it! I look forward to reading your blogs on here if you get the started.

And welcome to the forums!

"We're all stories in the end." - The Eleventh Doctor

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold." The Seventh Doctor
The Following User Says Thank You to Seravance For This Useful Post:
kattterina (10-20-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-12, 11:27 AM
Suspended Account

Thanked 5,300 Times in 2,835 Posts
Gilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome

Your husband ? Married ? Young and ambitious I see

I think a condition diagnosis cannot be based on a single test though. I doubt my ADD. My symptoms could very well be of different origin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilthranon For This Useful Post:
kattterina (10-20-12)