ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-12, 05:16 AM
Jr Member

Tina BB is on a distinguished road
Positives ?????

Can anyone who is now an adult with adhd tell me of any positives that go with the condition, I try to keep my son in a good frame of mind about the condition he will inevitably have to live with as an adult. I have told him that he has a wonderful ability to see 'what others miss' because he thinks out of the box, that he has such a mass of energy that millions of people would love to have but I would love to be able to tell him of adults who are the same as him and what kind of 'talents' he can look forward to as an adult.
Old 10-08-12, 06:16 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,344 Times in 6,093 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Positives ?????

The best thing my mom ever did for me was to work with my nature - So many have been damaged by parents expecting them to be "like every one else" or expecting me to be some one I wasn't. My mom liked me as me and honestly that acceptance was what saved me a lot of bad luggage as an adult.

My mom never presented my LD or my ADHD as being either positive or negative but simply as being part of me the person. Some times my inability to sit still was a problem in some situations and she did the best she could to work with my need to move / keep busy by allowing frequent breaks and directing my energy toward productive actions.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (10-08-12), SquarePeg (10-08-12)
Old 10-08-12, 06:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,278 Times in 13,266 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think the positives could be emphasised by how much you love him.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (10-08-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-12, 06:59 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,538 Times in 1,945 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

See the child, not the condition. Yes he's going to have difficulties but try not to dwell on them too much and encourage him to work to his strengths.
The Following User Says Thank You to tudorose For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (10-08-12)
Old 10-08-12, 07:05 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,238 Times in 8,584 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Its so important to keep seeing the positives which otherwise seem so few and far between.

But you can surely tell your son that he is special. While its true being able to think out of the box can be seen as a bonus, laying too much emphasis on that aspect can be risky as it may lead him to expect things out of life that may not come true.
So much the better if he can discover and learn about his uniqueness on his own without being 'pre-templated'
Old 10-08-12, 08:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,871 Times in 11,048 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anything positive about having Muscular Dystrophy? Not so much.

But people with MS can have positive traits that have nothing to do with MS.

I have some positive traits in spite of having ADHD, not because of having it.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (10-08-12), Lisa_Mac (10-08-12)