ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-10-18, 01:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,265 Times in 5,503 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 37 too old to start your own business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
No! Too much generic, but it does sell.

I want vision and customizing. Built-ins. Finished carpentry. You must go all out or else you will be doing the same thing.

The roof must hang over a few feet.

Good God, the wheel of colours for siding goes on and on but beige seems to be the only deliverable one. Who made that up? Forget siding and facades. Bring on the brick and stone and stucco.

Do it up. You must stand out.
Thatís exactly my business plan. At work I build or work on hospitals. Skyscrapers Sports stadiums Etc

All those things have to extreme high quality. So I have the advantage in I know how to do high grade work. Plus I can get top notch material dirt cheap
Little Missy (06-10-18), stef (06-10-18)
Old 06-10-18, 06:27 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

"Am I too old for..."

The answer is always no.

Unless you are asking about parkour. Then yes. You probably are if you have to ask.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
daveddd (06-14-18), Little Missy (06-16-18), stef (06-11-18)
Old 06-11-18, 12:17 PM

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

No, you aren't too old!!! You have far more experience and years of building relationships with key people!! Good luck!!!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (06-14-18), Little Missy (06-14-18), stef (06-14-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-18, 11:35 PM
Jr Member

MartinB is on a distinguished road

You are not too old. But maybe you are too young?

Quote:
The idea that most successful startup founders are in their twenties is a myth — the average entrepreneur is much older. A study by MIT found that the average age of startup founders is around 42, and the average age of entrepreneurs who founded high-growth companies is 45.
http://www.businessinsider.com/young...t-study-2018-4
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinB For This Useful Post:
daveddd (06-14-18), Little Missy (06-16-18), userguide (06-18-18)
Old 06-16-18, 12:40 PM
Contributor

jman05 is on a distinguished road

Age is irrelevant. How could being older hurt you? Experience and knowledge is what matters when starting a business. Those come with age. Age would be a negative if your an athlete, model, or prostitute.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jman05 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (06-22-18), finallyfound10 (06-16-18), Little Missy (06-16-18)
Old 06-17-18, 10:19 AM

Thanked 6,037 Times in 2,500 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the process of starting a new business/career at the age of 56. It is a bit daunting, but I am realising that though I many not have the boundless energy I had in my 20's and early 30's I do have lots of experience.

What I am doing is trying to work "smarter", use my experience to conserve my energy.

I also know that to succeed all I need to do is be a little smarter than the rest of the pack and I'll be OK.

The knack is to choose a sector where experience/skill counts more than energy..... ie there's some form of barrier to entry for youngsters.

I've become a therapist/counsellor.... it's pretty good... the older and greyer I become the more wisdom my clients credit me with....crazy but true! I used to work in construction, but now I get paid to sit in a chair and chat so I have no fears about physical injury messing with my income!!

OK it's been a long ADDery road but there's absolutely no reason not to be reinventing your working life as you go through life stages.... it would be mad not to!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
daveddd (06-22-18), Little Missy (06-17-18), stef (06-17-18)