ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 06-13-18, 05:15 PM

vincent____ is on a distinguished road
Question concerta making me really tired

I was diagnosed with ADHD about 4 months ago, but without the hyperactive part. About a month ago I decided to get stimulants from my primary doctor which in this case it's Concerta/18 mg.I took them around 10-12 in the morning. For the first 6 days I was happy, but really moody kinda like strict and also super focused. At the end of my 6th day of being medicated I had a pretty horrible anxiety attack (it later stopped when I was seen) and was rushed to the hospital and I told the doctor that was taking care of me that it was probably the come down and he ended up telling me that he doesn't believe the medicine caused it because it only lasts about 12 hours. After that night, I proceeded taking it for the next few days, but no longer felt motivated, focused, or any of the effects. I felt really lazy and had a headache.

So then I talked with my primary doctor and she said It's working but I to motivate my own self, in other words.... I can't be dependent on it so i have to force myself.

Has anyone had a similar experiences and/or give me some advice?
Old 06-13-18, 08:40 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: concerta making me really tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent____ View Post
So then I talked with my primary doctor and she said It's working but I to motivate my own self, in other words.... I can't be dependent on it so i have to force myself.

Has anyone had a similar experiences and/or give me some advice?
Your primary doctor is right. It's really common for stimulant meds to increase energy/mood/motivation, but people build tolerance to these effects very quickly. People are less likely to build tolerance to the focusing effects of stimulants.
Old 06-13-18, 09:18 PM

Unhappy Re: concerta making me really tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Your primary doctor is right. It's really common for stimulant meds to increase energy/mood/motivation, but people build tolerance to these effects very quickly. People are less likely to build tolerance to the focusing effects of stimulants.
Let's say I built a tolerance for the focusing part. Does that mean I have to put effort into it even if I built a tolerance for the energy part? It does make sense, BUT I can't really focus when I'm not motivated.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-18, 12:39 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Well, 18mg Concerta is relatively low, so maybe you might do better on a higher dose? Also, it's common to be prescribed a booster IR dose to take during late afternoon, since extended release meds often don't cover 100% of your waking hours.

Tolerance is something that lot of people worry about, but IME if you and your doctor are using it correctly, it tends to not be as big/common of a problem as people think.

As to your question about motivation and focus, that's a difficult question. I think the increased energy/mood that often comes from starting stimulants gives people artificially high expectations for what the meds should do.

The meds should help you focus/persist at whatever task you're currently on. This can be a double edged sword. For example, if you decide to spend your time surfing the internet, the meds will probably cause you to waste even more time on the internet.
Old 06-15-18, 07:18 PM

Ah an IR booster does sound helpful for my situation. Although I might switch to Adderall XR just for the purpose of Concerta not giving me the side effects I'm looking for. What IR Booster would you recommend?
Old 06-16-18, 06:12 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

If you're on Concerta, your booster dose would likely be methylphenidate (Ritalin) IR, and if you're on Adderall XR, your booster dose would likely be either Adderall IR or Dexedrine IR.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
vincent____ (06-19-18)
Old 06-16-18, 10:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,555 Times in 856 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I was on Concerta (36mg if I recall) and it didn't make me tired.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
vincent____ (06-19-18)
Old 06-19-18, 06:23 AM

liliyalich is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: concerta making me really tired

My doctor told me to try 18mg at first, and if it's not effective enough, take higher dose on the second week.
I have read some ADHDers' reviews that they feel the boost at the beginning, and later the effect faded, but after they take higher dose the effect become stable.
It could also because you are not suitable for this med. I recommend trying higher dose first.
The Following User Says Thank You to liliyalich For This Useful Post:
vincent____ (06-19-18)
Old 06-19-18, 10:34 AM

ImaADHDGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent____ View Post
Ah an IR booster does sound helpful for my situation. Although I might switch to Adderall XR just for the purpose of Concerta not giving me the side effects I'm looking for. What IR Booster would you recommend?
That's what I was going to suggest you talk with your doctor about. Adderall has something that Concerta doesn't. 25% of it is a type of amphetamine that doesn't go to the brain, but rather increases body energy by giving a slight boost to your flight or fight mechanism. This increases energy and motivation while encouraging concentration and focus, supported by the other 75% that is bringing your brain into focus. Those that require a boost in bodily energy benefit more from Adderall for that reason.

But nutritional supplements and proper eating are more important on Adderall because you'll burn them up at a higher rate which will deplete your energy if not replenished.
The Following User Says Thank You to ImaADHDGuy For This Useful Post:
vincent____ (06-19-18)