ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 03-09-18, 10:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,132 Times in 850 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: Article about women being mislabled as 'hysterics' and sexism in medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
See, that's how mild's post read to me as well, but that's not what he was
actually trying to say.

He said that there is only one hospital he knows of doing research on women's
issues. Which is good.

But what about the issues that we all have, like adhd and heart attacks which
can present or look different in women than in men? If doctors are taught to
look for the symptoms commonly seen in boys or men, they will certainly miss
some very important symptoms that women present with.
Thanks for clarifying.

I think if there were more women’s research hospitals, there would be more research, and everyone would know more about the biological differences in regard to properly diagnosing and treating women with AD(H)D, heart problems, etc.

M
Old 03-19-18, 08:33 PM

Thanked 1,132 Times in 850 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

I wonder who many Woman’s Hospitals there are in North America?

M
Old 03-20-18, 04:37 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,232 Times in 14,333 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I would love it if there were more rehabs available just for women. Rehab is like the new things recently because of the opioid epidemic and most rehabs are co-ed. That is where there is a problem. A lot of women that I know that have been to rehab get swept up in potential relationships, or start acting like the "mom" of the group and focus less on themselves and start taking on the problems of other patients. They get caught up in the high drama that goes along with addiction and start getting wrapped up with the guys or the guys get wrapped up in them and they blow the opportunity to get sober. I think alot of research is needed for women and addiction treatment.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (03-20-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-18, 04:16 AM

somuchtolife is on a distinguished road

https://khn.org/morning-breakout/fem...le-colleagues/

I have so much more to say lol but my twin sister is a 33 y/o surgeon and obv lives this and gets so ******. For 4 years, she refused it was gender related. Now she realizes it.
Old 05-11-18, 08:39 PM

Thanked 4,777 Times in 2,056 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. With conditions like fibro statistically more women are affected. Consequently some of the medical profession still claims it's all in the mind, no pain exists and treat it with antidepressants.

Which we all know is utter bollocks.

But it's not just the medical profession. It's everything. For years I was told I was just a whinger coz I couldn't get comfortable riding my bike. I stopped riding when I got dx with fibro coz I couldn't deal with the pain. Thank goodness for Specialized bike fits coz that revealed I had everything set up wrong and the wrong size saddle. Now cycling is treatment rather than the source of pain.

Goes both ways in some cases though. Last I heard Osteoporosis treatment is not funded (in Aus) if you are a man so the doctors have to write the prescription for the wife otherwise the pensioners can't afford treatment.
aeon (05-11-18), Lunacie (05-11-18)