ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-18, 10:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,141 Times in 857 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: How are people getting access to medication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Have EEG's been proven scientifically to determine whether someone has adhd or not?

I read EEG can help confirm diagnosid in about 80% of people who have AD(H)D.

There is no single test that can confirm AD(H)D, but the EEG can help confirm, people who have been diagnosed with AD(H)D.

I think having two doctors opionion instead of one would also help, when EEG is not an option.

Sounds like a inconvenience but i think it would reduce medication abuse, boost people confidence, awareness, accommodations, and strengthen AD(H)D diagnosis, especially when many of us will be taking medication for the rest of our lives.

AD(H)D medication can be good for people who have AD(H)D, but can be life threatening in many ways for people who do not have AD(H)D, when they do not need it or abused.

M
Old 03-09-18, 11:05 PM

Thanked 1,141 Times in 857 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

I heard the company’s that make AD(H)D medication make about 8 billion dollars a year for their shareholders? (Not exactly sure of the exact numbers)

But if the numbers are close to being accurate, the people/companys involved could voluntarily donate a billion dollars a year to help fund EEG to confirm diagnosis in most people who are going to use their medications?

It would be a win win for everyone involved and less criticism all around.

M
Old 03-10-18, 08:11 AM

Thanked 11,207 Times in 5,474 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

The darn teenagers.
Old 03-10-18, 10:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I heard the company’s that make AD(H)D medication make about 8 billion dollars a year for their shareholders? (Not exactly sure of the exact numbers)

But if the numbers are close to being accurate, the people/companys involved could voluntarily donate a billion dollars a year to help fund EEG to confirm diagnosis in most people who are going to use their medications?

It would be a win win for everyone involved and less criticism all around.
I'm sorry, but there's no way this would be a win for the companies. Why on earth would a company donate an eighth of their annual revenue in an effort to drastically reduce their own sales? That's like paying someone a billion dollars to shoot you in both your feet on your behalf. Their shareholders would run for the hills! They (both shareholders and the companies) are well aware of the abuse potential of their drugs and do everything in their power to keep that potential as high as possible while avoiding too much of a backlash. The world of big pharma is not exactly known for its compassion and humanity.

For example: there's a very good reason the drug company behind oxycodone initially marketed it as being a completely non-addictive alternative to other opiates. It's not like they weren't aware of how extremely addictive it is or how high its potential for abuse is, it's that they knew how profitable it would be for them to market it that way and get people hooked. It took them forever and a whole lot of outside pressure to make the pills more difficult to crush up for intravenous and intranasal abuse and that also just so happened to happen only after generics were approved and the company (which shall be left nameless) could no longer be the sole source of it.

It would be a very humane and noble thing to do--your suggestion--but also the worst business decision ever made, I'm afraid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-10-18), Greyhound1 (03-10-18)
Old 03-11-18, 04:57 PM

Lee-Yen is on a distinguished road

Consider hypothetical Frank, he is an insurance salesman, he is faking ADHD to "score" say Adderall (basically Speed) and he's using it as an enhancment drug to help him get extra hours in.

Say a second opinion and/or EEG is enforced to confirm ADHD before writing prescriptions, net result is: certain percentage of people who actually have impaired lives due to ADHD will not be able to access meds that could make life easier, even if for a little bit; and false (pretend) positives will be reduced, but those who keep up the pretense of ADHD to score drugs will find another way to score them anyway, you can't stop a junkie from scoring drugs short of imprisonment (which is also a bad solution).

My point is, it's not worth denying junkies a certain way to score drugs if that means even one person in need is denied treatment.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Yen For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-11-18), daveddd (03-11-18), OyVeyKitty (03-12-18)
Old 03-11-18, 05:00 PM

Thanked 11,207 Times in 5,474 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Yen View Post
Consider hypothetical Frank, he is an insurance salesman, he is faking ADHD to "score" say Adderall (basically Speed) and he's using it as an enhancment drug to help him get extra hours in.

Say a second opinion and/or EEG is enforced to confirm ADHD before writing prescriptions, net result is: certain percentage of people who actually have impaired lives due to ADHD will not be able to access meds that could make life easier, even if for a little bit; and false (pretend) positives will be reduced, but those who keep up the pretense of ADHD to score drugs will find another way to score them anyway, you can't stop a junkie from scoring drugs short of imprisonment (which is also a bad solution).

My point is, it's not worth denying junkies a certain way to score drugs if that means even one person in need is denied treatment.
Excellent point
Old 03-12-18, 05:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

Quote:
[...]you can't stop a junkie from scoring drugs short of imprisonment (which is also a bad solution).
I totally agree with your point, I just wanted to add that sending junkies to prison is actually sending them to drug heaven. There's no lack of drugs in prison, in fact a lot of people who didn't use before come out of there addicts. So yeah, a junkie will get their hands on drugs until they either want to quit or end up dead from them. People who are addicted to certain drugs will do anything, including robbing their own family and friends or putting them in extreme danger just to get their drugs. If they find out you have what they need and you're a stranger they won't think twice about sticking you up for it if that's what it takes. :/

I haven't talked about it a lot around here, but let's just say I have plenty first hand experience with how things work in the darker corners of the world from when I was younger and dumb(er).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-15-18), Lunacie (03-12-18), sarahsweets (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 06:03 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,452 Times in 14,480 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Younger, maybe naive but never dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyVeyKitty View Post
I totally agree with your point, I just wanted to add that sending junkies to prison is actually sending them to drug heaven. There's no lack of drugs in prison, in fact a lot of people who didn't use before come out of there addicts. So yeah, a junkie will get their hands on drugs until they either want to quit or end up dead from them. People who are addicted to certain drugs will do anything, including robbing their own family and friends or putting them in extreme danger just to get their drugs. If they find out you have what they need and you're a stranger they won't think twice about sticking you up for it if that's what it takes. :/

I haven't talked about it a lot around here, but let's just say I have plenty first hand experience with how things work in the darker corners of the world from when I was younger and dumb(er).

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (03-12-18)
Old 03-13-18, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyVeyKitty View Post
Mostly what i meant by "bad solution", only benefit of sending junkies to prison is removing a potentialy dangerous person from (non imprisoned) society for the duration of their sentence, but then releasing quite probably an angry and jaded junkie back to the world to again be a potential menace. So all in all, a bad solution.

So instead of spending money on imprisonment of drug addicts, better solution would be to decriminalize drugs and offer government funded facilities for detox, treatment and reintegration to society. Decriminalization of drugs alone would lower crimes committed by drug addicts.

But to try and stay on topic Pharma is going to continue manufacturing drugs, and people are going to continue using it, whether for treatment, enhancment or pure recreational purposes, and means to obtain them are obviously plentiful. So if anything is to be changed, it should focus on helping as many as possible (and that includes both junkies and innocent bystanders). Better to use a carrot than a stick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Yen For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (03-16-18)
Old 03-13-18, 04:13 PM

Muminn is on a distinguished road

Even in Sweden where doctors are somewhat careful about prescribing medications you can find meditations like ritalin and vyvnase pretty easy from freind's friends. There's also some availability on darknet but ADHD medications on the swedish darknet is way overpriced.
I can't imagine how easy it must be in U.S.A to get hands on medication.
Old 03-14-18, 05:46 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
NOTHING ruffles my feathers more than someone who says adderall or dex or any stimulants are "basically speed".

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-14-18, 06:15 AM

Muminn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NOTHING ruffles my feathers more than someone who says adderall or dex or any stimulants are "basically speed".
Why the stimulants doctor prescribe is basically speed. The difference lies in the dosage. Everything is a posion, its all about the dosage. You can even die from to much water.
Old 03-15-18, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Speed is just a street slang for some form of amphetamine based drug of questionable manufacturing process. And as Muminn said, it's very much a question of dosage / sensible use of said drug instead of abuse. Adderall (and Dex) in their standard (prescribed) dosage probably won't do much damage (have the effect similar to Speed) for most (adult) individuals. But what's stopping anyone taking multiple doses, whether at once or staggered throughout the day, depending on the desired effect of course.

If you have more specific knowledge to the contrary, I'd be grateful
Old 03-15-18, 06:37 PM

Thanked 25,453 Times in 11,837 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muminn View Post
Why the stimulants doctor prescribe is basically speed. The difference lies in the dosage. Everything is a posion, its all about the dosage. You can even die from to much water.
Actually, the difference is often in the form the drug is administered.

When taken orally as prescribed it would take an overdose to get the same
euphoria as when the drug is snorted or otherwise abused.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 03-17-18, 08:53 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muminn View Post
"Basically speed". So then us Nyquil "basically alcohol?"

I carried a watermelon?