ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-18, 03:46 PM

Muminn is on a distinguished road
Is medication good or bad for substance abuse

(To skip my rant go to the bold part of the text)

I am a young adult in my twenties from Sweden.
I study computer science at the university. I dont have a diagnosis, yet anyways, but I want a prescription for vyvanse.

I have a really hard time concentrating on work. And the only times I do well is when I use different substances to get motivated and concentrated
on my studies. My biggest problems seems to be daydreaming, lack of motivation and focus. I use substances because they help me so much with those issues.

But i have been smart about using. I have never been trough a real withdrawal. But I guess some people would label me as an addict. Even though i don't look at myself that way. I simply use drugs to get my life in order. Drugs i have used to help me study: Kratom, opium, ritalin, vyvanse, coffe, tobacoo, alcohol and more .

Like I said, I am still young and I know that this cant go on forever. My thinking is that a prescription for vyvanse would be better because then my use would be more in control i guess.

But my question is. Is taking regular amphetamines going to be good or bad for my "substance abuse problem"? I am thinking like i said that it might be good because then my usage would be more in control under the supervision of a doctor.

But i have also read that using stimulants actually triggers parts of the brain that are responsible for addiction and drug seeking? So my fear is that prescription might actually make me become a even more of a "real drug addict".

Don't know what to make of medication yet. To be fair I don't only rely on substances, I found that working out, eating well and scheduling my time also helps somewhat. But nothing works so well like the drugs, and all those things together works the best!
Old 03-13-18, 06:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is medication good or bad for substance abuse

depends on the person

not m,uch more to say
aeon (03-13-18)
Old 03-13-18, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
depends on the person

not m,uch more to say
I think that i use drugs to stabilize and increase my naturally low dopamine levels. Dopamine is very a tricky chemical and some brains might get addicted to that dopamine increasing behavior. So yeah i think you are right, it's very personal.

What's your personal experience? Are there some studies about this topic that one can read?

Sorry for the bad grammar in my first post. I'm not a native speaker and i can't edit the post now. I think I am fairly good at English, but yeah not that good.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-18, 07:35 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,765 Times in 7,359 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

After reading your post...my personal opinion is they'd be bad for you IMHO.

Quote:
But i have been smart about using.
I think this is what a TON of people try to say to themselves before their drug use really amps up and starts destroying their lives.

...My biggest fear is that you'd end up over using/abusing the stimulants to try and get you through...or that you'd mix them with other drugs to try and enhance the highs.
At any rate I don't think you can responsibly take presupposition stimulants at this time in your life.

Sorry for being so harsh .

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Muminn (03-14-18)
Old 03-13-18, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
After reading your post...my personal opinion is they'd be bad for you IMHO.

I think this is what a TON of people try to say to themselves before their drug use really amps up and starts destroying their lives.

...My biggest fear is that you'd end up over using/abusing the stimulants to try and get you through...or that you'd mix them with other drugs to try and enhance the highs.
At any rate I don't think you can responsibly take presupposition stimulants at this time in your life.

Sorry for being so harsh .
I appreciate your comment and your honesty. I am also worried that prescription stimulants would be bad for me, that's why i wrote this thread. But many people use them and it seems to work?

Why do you think that i would not be able to use stimulants responsibly? And how could I be more responsible? I really want this to work, its about my education and my future. When I self medicate I always take dosages seriously and know that one cant chase a high. My philosophy when it comes to drugs is to use the lowest effective dose possible and to take breaks to keep tolerance low and the receptors clean.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muminn For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (03-13-18)
Old 03-13-18, 10:42 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,765 Times in 7,359 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muminn View Post
Why do you think that i would not be able to use stimulants responsibly?
I only have what you've told us here to work with...so I really don't know anything about you.

But from what you said, I know that you're already taking illegal drugs which is a big red flag for me. If you're willing to use/abusing illegal drugs to get them to make you feel better...what's going to stop you from abusing a prescription?
Let's say you're having a real rough day and you've got a big assignment due the next day but you just can't get yourself going.
Are you going to take your prescription stimulant as directed? Or are you going to double, triple or even quadruple your dose so you can really get going and get things done?

The fact that you're a current drug user, and the fact that you're not more concerned about it (you act as if it's really no big deal) leads me to think you're hoping for more out of a prescription then what's intended...and that you're likely to abuse/over-use them.

The difference between the many people who do take meds responsibly and what I think you'd do...is those people don't misuse the meds. They take them as prescribed day in and day out...they never double their doses or seek to get high on the stimulants.

Like I said...I'm making a TON of assumptions here since I know nothing about you. Who knows...maybe you really can continue to do your illegal drugs while using prescribed stimulants without abusing your prescription.
I just have personal doubts about that.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 03-13-18, 10:44 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,861 Times in 7,154 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muminn
But my question is. Is taking regular amphetamines going to be good or bad for my "substance abuse problem"? I am thinking like i said that it might be good because then my usage would be more in control under the supervision of a doctor.
I think getting evaluated for ADHD is the first step. If you are diagnosed you must be honest with your Dr. in regards to your self-medicating. Being undiagnosed ADHD, we are much more prone for addiction, substance abuse, self-medicating etc.

We come up with all kinds of bad coping skills to get by. A good Dr. understands this and proper treatment including amphetamines can greatly help. Amphetamines can help the urge to self-medicate by treating ADHD symptoms which may be the underlying cause. There are also non-stim. medications that some have good results with.

Finding a good Dr. who specializes in ADHD and getting evaluated should be your first step. Being honest before treatment begins should be the next step. Not being open and honest could make things much worse.

Best wishes and welcome to the forum.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-13-18), namazu (03-13-18), psychopathetic (03-13-18)
Old 03-13-18, 11:36 PM

Vex187 will become famous soon enough

I used a lot of speed, mdma, coke pre rehab but nothing in the last 10 years. Since then struggled with a codeine addiction that landed me in hospital for a week and smoked weed fairly consistently for a good 20 years/ alcoholism in between.

Nothing to be proud of by any means but since getting diagnosed with adhd at 36 and finding the right medication my impulse control and substance abuse has done a complete 180. To the point where I genuinely struggle to drink alcohol at all.

As others have said I really think it deepends on the person and more Importantly where you're at and your motivations for substance abuse. Personally I was sick or it but never understood why I drank as it's my least favourite thing to take, and can see now that it was almost all anxiety control in some form or another.

That's just one anecdote though and have read and seen far more people fall into addiction with far less addictive prescription medications.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vex187 For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-14-18), psychopathetic (03-14-18)
Old 03-14-18, 05:34 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,982 Times in 14,787 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I want a prescription for vyvanse.

I have a really hard time concentrating on work. And the only times I do well is when I use different substances to get motivated and concentrated
on my studies. My biggest problems seems to be daydreaming, lack of motivation and focus. I use substances because they help me so much with those issues.
Having a "really hard time concentrating"is not what these meds are for.
Quote:
But i have been smart about using. I have never been trough a real withdrawal. But I guess some people would label me as an addict. Even though i don't look at myself that way. I simply use drugs to get my life in order. Drugs i have used to help me study: Kratom, opium, ritalin, vyvanse, coffe, tobacoo, alcohol and more .
You cant possibly say you have been smart about using drugs after having used the kind of drugs you listed.

Quote:
Like I said, I am still young and I know that this cant go on forever. My thinking is that a prescription for vyvanse would be better because then my use would be more in control i guess.
You already listed vyvanse in the list of drugs you use what makes you think a prescription for it will make you all of a sudden become responsible and stop all the others?

Quote:
Stimulants can be a life saver for addicts who are clean and suffer from adhd. I am an alcoholic in recovery and I have been on amphetamines for over 13 years. But the true benefits I came to find were when I got sober. You cant evaluate how anything is working in your life if you are not sober.

Quote:
But i have also read that using stimulants actually triggers parts of the brain that are responsible for addiction and drug seeking? So my fear is that prescription might actually make me become a even more of a "real drug addict".
Hate to break it to you: You are a real addict.

I dont mean to be harsh either and I come from the recovery angle, having been through my own and seen how drugs can rob people of everything. I could tell you story after story about people that did what you are doing and couldnt stop-spiraled and ended up dead or in jail.
I am a big supporter of stimulants being available to formal addicts but in your case I dont think its a good idea- not until you are clean and sober for a good long while.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (03-14-18), psychopathetic (03-14-18), Vex187 (03-15-18)
Old 03-14-18, 05:36 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why do you think that i would not be able to use stimulants responsibly? And how could I be more responsible? I really want this to work, its about my education and my future. When I self medicate I always take dosages seriously and know that one cant chase a high. My philosophy when it comes to drugs is to use the lowest effective dose possible and to take breaks to keep tolerance low and the receptors clean.
You have to stop and stay off of everything for a long time and then I would say maybe you should see someone. You dont talk much about symptoms or the pain of living with adhd, and it makes me think you dont have it and plan on faking it to a doctor.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (03-14-18)
Old 03-14-18, 07:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

Kaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to all

Quote:
([b]
But my question is. Is taking regular amphetamines going to be good or bad for my "substance abuse problem"?
Imo taking prescribed medication and substance abuse are two different things. The first is more about 'getting well', the second about 'feeling well'... it's a different relationship with your inner 'reward system'. It can be confusing, because the very same thing that could make you sensitive for addictions, could be the reason for getting regular treatment. But then it would not be the solution for your abuse problem, but for what's lying underneath.

There is no thing as controlled abusing, unless you can honestly say to yourself that you can do it without thinking about it on a regular base. I did not become aware of my adhd during my abusing years, it came after 3 years of not using anything anymore, as i became ready to look at myself instead of quickfixing myself with substances.
You are still young and know that this can't go on forever, but it's the biggest illusion to think that time will magically make a difference, nor will any changes in your situation like 'once i'm working or married or got this or that'. The only thing that would make a difference, is your desire to stop depending on drugs and act on that. It takes courage to listen to your inner voice who already knows, instead of listening to the addictive mind giving you all clever valid reasons to procrastinate or stay in denial, or even making it 'easier' by starting with prescribed use. If you can do that at your age, you're one of the lucky few.

You can't do that by yourself, i think it's a good thing you reach out, even if maybe you don't get the responses you'd prefer... by writing here you created a situation for yourself to get awareness on the fact that you have a problem, (whatever it's labeled, you don't have to decide) and that's a very good start!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-14-18), psychopathetic (03-14-18)
Old 03-14-18, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
I only have what you've told us here to work with...so I really don't know anything about you.

But from what you said, I know that you're already taking illegal drugs which is a big red flag for me. If you're willing to use/abusing illegal drugs to get them to make you feel better...what's going to stop you from abusing a prescription?
Let's say you're having a real rough day and you've got a big assignment due the next day but you just can't get yourself going.
Are you going to take your prescription stimulant as directed? Or are you going to double, triple or even quadruple your dose so you can really get going and get things done?

The fact that you're a current drug user, and the fact that you're not more concerned about it (you act as if it's really no big deal) leads me to think you're hoping for more out of a prescription then what's intended...and that you're likely to abuse/over-use them.

The difference between the many people who do take meds responsibly and what I think you'd do...is those people don't misuse the meds. They take them as prescribed day in and day out...they never double their doses or seek to get high on the stimulants.

Like I said...I'm making a TON of assumptions here since I know nothing about you. Who knows...maybe you really can continue to do your illegal drugs while using prescribed stimulants without abusing your prescription.
I just have personal doubts about that.
Well if I get my prescribtion i wont use other drugs. Kratom, opium is just a replacment for vvyanse i use to help me concentrate on my studies when i dont have access to vyvans or ritalin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Hate to break it to you: You are a real addict.

I dont mean to be harsh either and I come from the recovery angle, having been through my own and seen how drugs can rob people of everything. I could tell you story after story about people that did what you are doing and couldnt stop-spiraled and ended up dead or in jail.
I am a big supporter of stimulants being available to formal addicts but in your case I dont think its a good idea- not until you are clean and sober for a good long while.
I don't know if I agree with me being an addict. I am worried that amphetamines would make more of an addict because they seem too play with the dopamine system in the brain. More so than other drugs after what I have read on the topic. Maybe you guys on the forum are more addicted to your prescription drugs than you realize or want to admit. Im just asking questions and I'm open to everything.
Remember I use drugs to mask my adhd symptoms. Im not using dosages to get ****** up in any way. Just like you are using small dosages of speed to mask your symptoms. Its a difference between an adhd patient using small amounts of amphetamine and a drug addict using high amounts of amphetamines to simply get high.

Last edited by namazu; 03-14-18 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: ADDF does not permit posts supporting/encouraging use of illegal drugs (per US federal law). Please see ADDF guidelines.
Old 03-14-18, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
You dont talk much about symptoms or the pain of living with adhd, and it makes me think you dont have it and plan on faking it to a doctor.
The whole thread is about my problems in university. My main pain of living with symptoms of adhd is mostly limited to my issues with school.

Well you guys on the forum have motivated me to quit with the self medicating thing. At least with illicit substances. (Mainly kratom in my case).
I will take the addictive thing more seriously and try to survive on snus (tobacco) and coffee. I have 2 important tests in 2 weeks so my feeling is that I might need something else. But I will stick to Ritalin that I can buy from a friend if that's the case.

I have an appointment with my psychologist but I don't know when and these things seems to take some time.
Old 03-14-18, 08:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,728 Times in 12,006 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

In general, you can't just walk in and ask for a script for a specific medication.

You may be ahead of the curve in knowing that Vyvanse works for you pretty
well without any unwanted side effects. You're lucky in that, I've seen more
posts saying the side effects or no effects of Vyvanse weren't worth it.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 03-15-18, 04:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
The whole thread is about my problems in university. My main pain of living with symptoms of adhd is mostly limited to my issues with school.

Well you guys on the forum have motivated me to quit with the self medicating thing. At least with illicit substances. (Mainly kratom in my case).
I will take the addictive thing more seriously and try to survive on snus (tobacco) and coffee. I have 2 important tests in 2 weeks so my feeling is that I might need something else. But I will stick to Ritalin that I can buy from a friend if that's the case.

I have an appointment with my psychologist but I don't know when and these things seems to take some time.
Even though you say you are stopping the illicit substances do you not see by saying you are going to buy ritalin from your friend is still an illicit substance? You are still not legally prescribed it so its illicit.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-15-18), psychopathetic (03-15-18)