ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 03-14-18, 05:56 AM

agdp01 is on a distinguished road
Trial of Ritalin. Pros and cons so far.

After 6 months on Dex I decided to try Ritalin for a month to see if thereís any better results.
I was prescribed 60mg per day but to start with 10mg morning then 5mg every 2 hrs which I did day one and found the morning dose really good but after that I felt like I was crashing.
Day two I went 10mg every 2hrs and found the same.
First dose seems good but after that Iím crashing and the following doses seem to just ease the crash for a while.

When I take the first dose I find the result quite good.
I feel really positive/optimistic and like the Ritalin isnít actually making me focus but taking way whatever drives me to drift off in my mind.
I then feel itís up to me to focus myself, but this seems easy if I choose to.

The crash is really harsh.
I feel it coming and donít like it at all.
My stomach feels seedy and I feel like being left alone so I donít need to listen to anyone. If on my own I feel Iíd be able to get tasks done but my way in my time.
Iíd say the comedown magnifies the symptoms tbh.
Today was terrible as I has the day with the family.
Big crash and all I want to do is be by myself.

So basically I feel the results in the first dose are exactly what Iíd like them to be and better that Dex, but they are not worth the comedown I seem to get.

Should I push through in hope itís just early side effects or go back to Dex?
Old 03-14-18, 06:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,232 Times in 14,333 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trial of Ritalin. Pros and cons so far.

Some people say this about ritalin, I know for me the crashes led to severe mood issues but I am also bipolar so maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe you need to try adderall? Its different in some ways then dex but definitely different then ritalin.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-14-18, 12:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and eating foods rich in fat and protein.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-18, 12:32 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,860 Times in 13,047 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I take 30 mg at once; then 20 in the afternoon, so I have exactly the positive energy, but not a "negative" crash.

However I become completely scattered when the second dose has worn off completely; and goodness I am out cold at around 10:30 PM. If I'm watching tv after dinner I have to keep setting a timer every 15 minutes (which I keep not doing consistently because "I dont feel tired at all"). Then I wake up an hour later...

Also for the food, yes, protein, fats and also carbs. Anything "thick". Yogurt drinks (not 0%) and bananas. And drink water all day!
Old 03-14-18, 12:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

I’m on the Ketogenic diet, so carbs are out of the questions for me.

I am still to discern if Ritalin works better on an empty stomach, with food or after a meal.
Old 03-15-18, 03:03 AM

agdp01 is on a distinguished road

I made the decision this morning to go off Ritalin today and I would say itís been a terrible day.
Super fatigued and depressed.
Ive only been on Ritalin for a few days and canít believe how terrible I feel.
When in Dex I had no issues going without for a day.
Back to the Dr as I donít think Ritalin is for me.