ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 08-14-05, 11:10 AM

windowlicker is on a distinguished road
Thinking of spreading current Dex dose throughout the day more

Hey all, well I've been taking 15 mg twice a day (1st dose at 7:30 am, 2nd dose at 1:30 pm), and I've been thinking about trying to spread it out a bit. It would be:
10 mg at 7:30 pm

10 mg at 11:30 pm

10 mg at 2:30 pm

The thing is, it's already hard enough for me to remember to take my two doses. I'm just wondering if anyone's tried anything similar to this, and how they found it.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-05, 04:49 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
I used to take my dex three times a day. I actually find that it's better at twice a day - for me anyway. I take roughly the same amount per day either way - 50mg
It's a matter of personal preference, of course.
Old 08-29-05, 04:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

katatak has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Hey all, well I've been taking 15 mg twice a day (1st dose at 7:30 am, 2nd dose at 1:30 pm), and I've been thinking about trying to spread it out a bit/
Dexedrine only lasts 4 hours. 5 at most. After 5 hours there is not more Dexedrine in your system to make a difference. So I take dexedrine first when I wwake up in the morning and my last dose about dinner time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
The thing is, it's already hard enough for me to remember to take my two doses. I'm just wondering if anyone's tried anything similar to this, and how they found it.
The more regular you are with the dosing, the smoother your reaction is.

Takeing it every four hours, I find it easier to remember than if I take longer between doses. With Dexedrine I am alert and aware, without it, I tend to forget more and more. I think I have less problems remembering if I make sure I take it just as its about to stop being effective.

I really hate not being able to think clearly and that's what happens when I'm not taking Dexedrine. I also discussed this with my doctor so he wrote my prescriptions for the right number of pills.

So I take my first dose at 6AM (alarm is set for then), If I don't have to be up to go anywhere, I put my head back down and sleep for a few more hours. When I wake up, I wake clear headed and ready to start a day!

cheers,

Katatak
Old 09-15-05, 09:07 PM

McPerson is on a distinguished road
I think that sounds like a very good idea. I find it much better to be able to take a dose that will wear off closer to bedtime, as that greatly enhances the quality and quantity of sleep I get.

I find a 10mg release is a perfect dose, I find, and then 15 can be either great or can also make me feel paranoid and too wired to even do homework.