ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-17, 12:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold
Writing lessons

Anyone want to give any? I can't let this go anymore; maybe it's the fact that I've been 97% socially avoidant IRL for 10 years and forgot the rhythm of human conversation, and spending time online cannot fill that gap. Maybe that's a big part of the answer right there. Maybe I really need to relearn real-life conversational skill and that would translate to improvement in all venues including online.

But I honestly feel I'm the worst writer on this, and any other site. I've been killing threads abruptly left and right, not simply here but on other forums I go to. I know that some measure of wit and playfulness makes for good conversation but even then, when I feel I come up with a good response, folks often don't reply. My debating skills are nonexistent, also.

I think I might only be able to learn from others who struggle or HAVE struggled with communication and took steps to improve. I struggle both in real life and online. I'm a poor writer and even worse speaker.

The reason I'm like this is because I'm on the autistic spectrum, and heavily tick the box for "communication difficulties." Although fundamentally it's a problem with language... called "Pragmatic Language Impairment." Look it up if you want. That's what I have and obviously have a rough case of it.

TL;DR Basically I'm looking for tips on how to carry a conversation without causing an abrupt end. I don't know how to do this and the deal is I am not sure what the missing ingredient(s) is. Is it lack of wit, lack of comprehension, lack of knowledge? All of them?

Anyone who has seen my writing, can you tell me what should be improved? I'm tired of being the worst writer every place I go.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-08-17), Greyhound1 (10-08-17), namazu (10-08-17)