ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-14, 10:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

hurricane92 is just really nicehurricane92 is just really nicehurricane92 is just really nicehurricane92 is just really nice
Creative Writing and ADHD

I doubt I'm alone here.

I really, really love writing, and plan on publishing a book or two in my life. However, I notice that while I'm not a bad writer, I am bad at

every

single

step

of the writing process. Choosing an idea. Writing down/remembering the idea. Deciding to write about the idea. Beginning to write about the idea. Finishing more than 9 pages. Hyperfocusing so much I eventually get bored with the whole concept and editing what I have and toss it.

Does anyone get this, and does medication help you?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hurricane92 For This Useful Post:
ChrissiADHD (04-08-14), Drogheda (04-08-14), gatherer (07-16-14)
Old 04-07-14, 10:55 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,222 Times in 12,818 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Creative Writing and ADHD

I love writing, but I just have *no* ideas for creative writing. I really never have, actually. this is what I love about translating, all of the ideas are there already!

I want to write a blog about Paris, I have absolutely no idea where to start.

(I'm not even diagnosed, acutally, I don't know about meds..)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Drogheda (04-08-14), hurricane92 (04-07-14)
Old 04-07-14, 11:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

hurricane92 is just really nicehurricane92 is just really nicehurricane92 is just really nicehurricane92 is just really nice

Haha wow I get that- I have lots of creative ideas but as soon as I start working on one I get bored with it... maybe short stories are more my style. I think translation would be super cool because the thing is already there, all you have to do is put your own twist on it!
The Following User Says Thank You to hurricane92 For This Useful Post:
stef (04-07-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-14, 05:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Turns out, medication isn't going to change your behaviors. You must change your behaviors! Medication may or may not help.

Stop worrying about whether medication will help. If you want to write, write. If you can't write, maybe don't write.

It sounds to me like you love the idea of writing, but don't actually enjoy the process of writing, or can't find a way to make yourself do it? Either remove obstacles that are preventing you from doing it, or just don't worry about it and don't do it because taking some pills isn't going to change your habits, it will at best make you feel more focused on whatever you're doing that isn't writing.
Drogheda (04-07-14), hurricane92 (04-07-14)
Old 04-07-14, 05:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

addthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to all

I am bad at writing but the ADD medication helps because I can process clean clear thoughts. It slows down my mind so things move easier. I struggled with writing in college until I got back on the medication and then it got easier and less time consuming.
The Following User Says Thank You to addthree For This Useful Post:
hurricane92 (04-07-14)
Old 04-07-14, 05:38 PM

VisibleKinda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper Keith View Post
Turns out, medication isn't going to change your behaviors. You must change your behaviors! Medication may or may not help.

Stop worrying about whether medication will help. If you want to write, write. If you can't write, maybe don't write.

It sounds to me like you love the idea of writing, but don't actually enjoy the process of writing, or can't find a way to make yourself do it? Either remove obstacles that are preventing you from doing it, or just don't worry about it and don't do it because taking some pills isn't going to change your habits, it will at best make you feel more focused on whatever you're doing that isn't writing.
I strongly disagree with this advice, and it's not as black and white as you make it out to be. If you take it for granted that ADHD is a problem with executive functioning, then that will inevitably make the writing process a lot more difficult for someone. Writing involves working memory, things like word recall, visualisation, all the things that ADD can screw up for you. Medication can correct the certain blocks that stop the OP from enjoying the writing process. Plus there's that constant editing-re-editing-it-takes-an-hour-to-write-a-100-word-paragraph thing. It's not just a case of bad habits.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VisibleKinda For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (04-07-14), ChrissiADHD (04-08-14), gatherer (07-16-14), hurricane92 (04-07-14)
Old 04-07-14, 06:18 PM

Thanked 4,219 Times in 2,401 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could give you solid advice. My short-lived experiences with medication coincided with a slight impairment to, or no improvement of, writing. Also, it seemed to me that if sleep, exercise, and diet were not in tune, my experiences with medication were pretty negative.

That aside, medication might help you. It's hard to say.
Old 04-07-14, 07:19 PM

Thanked 7,907 Times in 4,070 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

It's the motivation and focus, and get back to it the next day/days part that kills it for me.

Got no problem with coming up with a story and coming up with how the chapters play out, but I do get distracted by other things.

I'm currently struggling with that now. Even though I'm now writing a sci-fi for adolescents with the language stripped back a bit/less pedantic to not get too exhausted when writing it. I just want to start and finish one book, especially with the kinds of themes I've been trying to write about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
ChrissiADHD (04-08-14), hurricane92 (04-07-14)
Old 04-07-14, 10:52 PM

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisibleKinda View Post
I strongly disagree with this advice, and it's not as black and white as you make it out to be. If you take it for granted that ADHD is a problem with executive functioning, then that will inevitably make the writing process a lot more difficult for someone. Writing involves working memory, things like word recall, visualisation, all the things that ADD can screw up for you. Medication can correct the certain blocks that stop the OP from enjoying the writing process. Plus there's that constant editing-re-editing-it-takes-an-hour-to-write-a-100-word-paragraph thing. It's not just a case of bad habits.
ADHD is not a case of bad habits, but not following through with the writing process is. If you get into the habit of doing things a certain way, ADHD or not, you will be able to do them. ADHD is a problem of executive function, of planning and execution. If the plan is made, and the execution is habitual, people with ADHD can do it just fine.

The bottom line is, whether you do it or not doesn't depend on whether you take a pill, it depends on whether you do it or not.
Drogheda (04-07-14)
Old 04-07-14, 11:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

Thanks all for your imput, Trooper and Visible I agree with you both- I think there are aspects of writing which ADHD can make more difficult, but I do know writing is like anything else- you can discipline yourself to do it, it may just be a little more laborious love. I really do adore writing, it's something I get a high from, but I often get so caught up in revising material I get tired of it before the story has a chance to advance. So I craft these very well-written embryos of stories, 9-10 great pages which convince me to write more, until I get bored, abort, and create anew. I plan on trying to segregate my pages in the future so as to not permit myself to fall prey to endless revisions and just keep the story moving. I agree there is no miracle pill for anything we deal with, and that just like running or eating better, habits are crucial.
Old 04-07-14, 11:32 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,767 Times in 3,105 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

i dont write in a particularly conventional/common method. my early stuff especially, but my writing is mostly composed of dialogue only. longer projects i enter '-'s to separate one's thoughts.

i agree with remembering things. sometimes a spur of an idea happens but cant get it down in time or later when i feel like writing i dont remember it. sometimes i just get a scene in my head and try to commit it to a writing form.

i dont really write at school, which is when im medicated. and i write alot at home, unmedicated, and usually late at night and thruout the night. i wonder if there's a correlation...then again school takes up alot of time thruout the day as well probably

-Hunter S. Thompson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Conman For This Useful Post:
hurricane92 (04-07-14), someothertime (04-08-14)
Old 04-07-14, 11:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,279 Times in 636 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future

some words of encouragement. if this doesn't sound like you pay it no mind.

get a book on writing and jump in. it sounds like you don't have any foundation, and that is alright... that is actually where I know a lot of people with ADHD excell. it's when you start thinking about the work and the foundation and yadda yadda.

it sounds horribly scholastic, but very few writers actually went to school for it, taught at ya, but actualy went, nah.

it sounds like you just need a springboard and then you can dive in. in reality the actual background of being a writer is remarkable. something to actually aim that drive; thats what you need.

I would recomend getting a book on wrighting, a good fun one. just one cause academics weigh us down, or me atleast. you just need a point in the right direction, some cliffnotes if you will and then that hyperfocus will take you into the sun.

I think just a pointer that gets you into the meaty parts of theory will do wonders, cause you can get stuck and anxiety isn't necessarily our friend, but ther eare so many small springboards around it. plus wrighting theory is incredibly fun, and thats one of the better reasons I think you should get a good book on it, cause it is fun and just so fascinating, and that's what we do!.

or it's what I do. we do fine with just a bit of theory as a spring board and then our hyperfocus takes us into the next level, we just sometimes need a springboard, a tap to get us going.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drogheda For This Useful Post:
hurricane92 (04-07-14)
Old 04-07-14, 11:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

Hunting for lost thoughts is like culling fortunestones from a beach. When I was younger my mother told me Petoskey stones were good luck and I used them to gauge my favor with the forces like luck and fate, destiny and God, entities I enjoyed imagining out there, wreaking havoc on all things with their intersecting agendas, making the world a more fantastical place, but never sure exactly where they stood on the issue of me. The stones were my guide. I used to scoop handfuls of rocks from the chilly lakes and churn my fingers, letting the topstones slide away to examine the next layer and so on. On a vaster scale I could have been a titanic alien harvesting fossils from several layers of the regolith at once. Sometimes I would work too quickly, and a moment after I let a stone fall I would clench my fist over the rest and dive after it, hoping I could nab it back before the lakewaves and endless vortex of pebbles claimed my luck and disadvantaged my fate. Eight times out of ten by the time I was casting about for it the angle of the light had changed, and every stone looked wrong but inviting, so that after a few seconds I was so absorbed in the atomic world of multicolored multitextured multiweighted rocks sprayed out in bottomless layers 360 degrees around me I could rarely be sure any stone I seized was the object of the initial search. And the surf rushed over all, bringing new things to light, and I bent to sift through those instead, searching for something which would give me standing in the eyes of forces as ancient and wild as the waves.

I swear my original topic had been a comparison between all that and recovering runaway trains of thought. I guess I proved my point. I don’t understand that metaphor- how do you lose a train? They have a fixed path which they can only deviate from in spectacularly destructive fashion. Thoughts on the loose can travel anywhere. Runaway four wheel drives of thought. Though thinking about it, if you started somewhere, and had a fixed ending in mind, but never got there… maybe I do understand that metaphor. I like sidetracked better.
Old 04-08-14, 12:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

Visiblekinda, I feel you as far as the it-takes-and-hour-to-write-a-100-word-paragraph. God that is so me. I'm going to try writing with my girlfriend nearby, when I like something I'm going to have her read it then I'll make it her job to stop me editing it by any means... hmm now that's gonna be a fun game! but seriously maybe having another person will help.

Revision for me is like booze- in moderation, wonderful, in excess, self-destructive. And as a master of excess... oye.
Old 04-08-14, 12:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,279 Times in 636 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future

when you get into wrighting theory you create characters and sceneroi's that live themselves. you really don't actively think about each thing because the characters are alive in your own head, doing what they do.

it's seriously almost a form of psychosis, but oh so fun, you just need to get the hang of it.

like, the first rule is create a logline/byline. a 2 - 4 sentence that explains the "book" (not necessarily series). when you understand that one rule (and it's not that hard to understnad, you just need pointed in the right direction) whenever you get stuck you just come back to the logline and it transfers you over.

the other is the 13 character types, the 10 types of stories etc...