ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-10, 07:37 PM

Themselves is on a distinguished road
It all makes sense, now. Thank you addforums.com

My GF of 6 years broke the news to me that she thinks I may have ADD. Well ladies and gentlemen, thank you for all your contributions on this forum which have led me to infinitely conclude, I do have ADD. I'm 24, and have always "done things differently," same as the majority of you.

I've come to realize we all have our own unique form of ADD, but this confuses me as to where the ADD stops, and the ____ starts. I wish I had been diagnosed at a younger age, in fact I'm not officially diagnosed just yet. Without a doubt however, I have ADD or some form related to it.

School
I've struggled in school, yes I was always told I had "great potential". I was never good at art (drawing etc), but my capability to visualize, think creative, solve problems, think outside the box was above and beyond my peers. Math was of particular difficulty to me. Without delving into family origin, I will say I am from a "traditional" family in that the harder you work, the more you reap to gain. Well ladies and gentlemen, with my Mother by my side I would page by page complete entire textbooks over my holidays in preparation of a test, quiz, exam etc. To no avail, I never could achieve much more than 51%. My other classes if of interest to me however, were easy. I particularly enjoyed Biology. Come to the present I have been attempting a College education, and last semester was put on Academic Probation. Serious stuff. If I don't pull my grade up, I get the boot for 6 months and will need to re-apply.

Work
I'm frequently late, I miss deadlines. I work for and have helped build a small company from the ground up over the past two years. Soon I will be traveling and setting up a satellite office across the coast. I get paid well. I am not particularly excited by this line of work, but I excel at it and it's rewarding in that sense. I have made some good contacts, I have also learned a great deal. Working professionals describe me as persuasive, creative and a people person. I can see the bigger picture. I can sell an idea, a concept, an ice pick to a polar bear. I'm getting better at manipulation. I've always been able to think outside the box, my last few employers have always liked that. I do not bounce around jobs, my previous job was for 4 years and I did a great job.

Personal
The love of my life fell in my lap, and she will always be the one for me. We all in our own special way feel our love is the best, so to those of you who know where I'm coming from, this girl is the best of the best. We just click.

That's enough background I hope. I've come across so many symptoms/signs that describe me. I would like to know should I contact a physiatrist, or my family Doctor for a reference? Or should I stick to a list on the internet? I do have benefits/coverage. I'm a little anxious about taking drugs, I do have addictive tendencies. I have been fond of dopamine inhibitors for sometime now. I do want to straighten myself out.

I've been reading so much information on this website I started a small list to show my Dr when the time comes. I'll share it with you folks:
The faster I work, the slower my mind is
Described lazy as a child, poor grades yet intelligent ideas and thought processes
Finish other peoples sentences for them, constantly (try to)
Late to work 2-3 times a week
Tried hard in school, but couldn’t keep focused/interested long enough
Avoid dealing with things that require attention
Procrastinate
Impulsive tendencies which has led to significant debt
“high intelligence yet i lack the attention to learn anything” -taliesin
Terrible organization skills. Messy.
Lie my way out of problems, cheat on tests because I couldn’t/didn’t study
Creative, intelligent, big picture thinker
Very defensive when called out on something

Any insights appreciated. I'm so glad I've found this community and I look forward to contributing, learning and giving back to our community.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Themselves For This Useful Post:
snickerz (10-05-10), StoicNate (10-04-10)
Old 10-04-10, 08:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Re: It all makes sense, now. Thank you addforums.com

Haha, yep that's me to the T.
All that you have written is very me.

Welcome to the forums! Have a great ADHD life!

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 10-04-10, 08:11 PM

Themselves is on a distinguished road

Another thing I would LOVE to add that has befuddled me crazy since my childhood. I will watch a movie, and forget major plot details! I broke the news to my family about ADD last week and my younger brother decided to be cute and asked me what was the major plot climax in The Dark Knight, he gave me hints such as two boats, bombs, I had no clue!

Same thing with books, I was a bookworm growing up as a child, it excelled my vocabulary in highschool and to this present day. I read very very fast, and understand it in the moment. Ask me 2 weeks later and I couldn't tell you details though, unless it's something I related to. Bloody annoying!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Themselves For This Useful Post:
bricaru (10-06-10), Sphere (10-05-10), StoicNate (10-04-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-10, 11:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themselves View Post
Another thing I would LOVE to add that has befuddled me crazy since my childhood. I will watch a movie, and forget major plot details! I broke the news to my family about ADD last week and my younger brother decided to be cute and asked me what was the major plot climax in The Dark Knight, he gave me hints such as two boats, bombs, I had no clue!

Same thing with books, I was a bookworm growing up as a child, it excelled my vocabulary in highschool and to this present day. I read very very fast, and understand it in the moment. Ask me 2 weeks later and I couldn't tell you details though, unless it's something I related to. Bloody annoying!
Same here, I think we're related LOL.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 10-05-10, 02:45 AM

snickerz is on a distinguished road

That is so right with regards to the "faster I work the slower my brain gets"
Old 10-05-10, 01:33 PM
Contributor

fropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the rough

LOL this all sounds like me too, of course.

One of my problems is I go to open my mouth to say something, and part of it comes out as gibberish because my brain is on hyperspeed. I was trying to talk to my boss about a Crockpot the other day. It came out as cackpat, crocktub, and finally I had to stop, take a deep breath and say CRRROOOCKKKPOTTTT. My boss was CRACKING UP!!

If I were though...I'd be Cashews.

But Daddy, I WANT IT NOW!!!-vercua salt