ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-03, 01:43 AM

Frog is on a distinguished road
New to your forum

I've been ADHD w/ Asperger's all my life. Discovered what made me ADHD in 1993. Discovered what made me an Aspie this year. Would have been helpful to discover both sooner.

I don't look at being ADHD as a bummer any more. For a while, was just helpful to find out, because then I could take meds and think better. But then I learned that the reason I loose things, get lost, forget things, etc., is because I was ADHD, and meds didn't seem to help THAT.

But then I learned that there are things about ADHD that make having it a gift. So I've been on a quest for the last year or so to figure out life, ADHD, etc. Always ready to learn something from somebody.
Old 07-29-03, 10:45 AM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Welcome Frog to the Forums. You are from Orange County, huh? I was just in San Bernardino County for 18 months before moving back to Florida. Anyway, your story is a very positive one and your willingness to listen and learn very commendable. Please keep posting here. You will get a lot of support

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 07-29-03, 11:08 AM

Thank you, Joan. Looking forward to it.
Old 07-29-03, 11:30 AM
Forum Guru

smooch has disabled reputation
Welcome, Frog!

These Forums have already taught me so much--you've found an overflowing fountain of information.

I respect your eagerness to learn about "life, ADHD, etc." I wish that I had begun my quest to learn about ADHD right after I was diagnosed (2000). However, I didn't really start seeking until about 18 months ago. I have found that educating myself about ADHD is one of the best things I could have done for myself.

Again, WELCOME!
Old 07-29-03, 12:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Welcome to ADD Forums!!!!
Old 07-29-03, 02:01 PM
Forum Guru

jimmmaaa is on a distinguished road
Hi Frog, Welcome. As an adult with Aspergers have you found support? The reason I am asking is that my wife and I are 90% or more sure that my 5 year old son has Aspergers syndrome and in the process of getting him diagnosed at the M.I.N.D. Institute of U.C. Davis. I guess I have been think a lot lately what it will be like for him to live with Apsergers as he grows. I have read some postings at a site called O.A.S.I.S. but I it mostly parents posting about their kids.

Anyway, I am going on a little bit.

Welcome to ADDFORUMS Frog!

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
~Calvin Coolidge

“Never, never, never, never give up. “~Winston Churchill
Old 07-29-03, 02:08 PM

Thank you, everybody, for making me feel welcome so far.

To Jimmmmaaaa:

I need help now!!! I feel for your son, but luckily you discovered this in your son while he's young enough to fix it as much as possible to prepare him for being an adult. I am on the low end of Asperger's, but it's been very difficult. People don't understand me. Hell, I don't understand me. I say something, and people jump all over me. I do something, same response.

Now, I have a reason why I do or say the things I do or say. Does any one want to believe me? No, they want to believe their own experiences. Very difficult. I am the most honest person I know. Because of Asperger's, I can't help but tell the truth. But sometimes, the way I say what I'm thinking, it comes out wrong. Then when I try to explain, it sounds like I'm trying to cover, or like I'm lying. It's so frustrating.

Good luck to you with your son.
Old 07-29-03, 10:47 PM
Forum Guru

jimmmaaa is on a distinguished road
Thanks for replying Frog.

That sounds like that would be very frustrating, exasperarting. Do you have a support group, or at least some people who do believe you and know that you are not "trying to cover up"? I hope you do, we all need to be understood and known. Well I hope that you feel understood and welcome here at ADDFORUMS.

Have you ever been over to O.A.S.I.S? They have a very good message board and with areas for parents of kids with Aspergers and an area for people with Aspergers to post. It is a very active fourm. Here is the link:

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
~Calvin Coolidge

“Never, never, never, never give up. “~Winston Churchill
Old 07-30-03, 06:58 AM

Thanks, Jimmmaaa. I am in the process of becoming a member at an Aspie site. Found the site you are talking about as well.
Old 08-05-03, 09:40 AM
Contributor

MightyMouse is on a distinguished road
make sure you vote in my poll

Keep searching dude. Believe me you will find it!

'Ich bin nie anderen Menschen zu messen genesen' - it has never been possible to measure me in terms of other human beings. - Else Lasker-Shuler

Genius is mainly an affair of energy - Matthew Arnold