ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Scientific Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Scientific Discussion This forum is limited to published/presented scientific research, in a quasi-academic format, with references where appropriate; clear and structured discourse is encouraged

Old 02-27-18, 10:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough
Re: Play Theory

Any ideas of a non-competitive play/game for low-attentive adults that can be played sober ?
in clothes.
Old 02-28-18, 02:48 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,086 Times in 821 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
4. Keep attachment needs in the foreground

Quote:
Quote:
The teacher who can maintain warm, nonthreatening contact with the ADD child will be rewarded with less disruption and longer attention spans, except in the most severely affected cases.

Just as at home, the relationship with the child, not any cognitive goals, has to be kept foremost.
Quote:
Of necessity, the teacher’s ability to provide for any one child’s attachment needs is going to be limited.

No teacher will “cure” a child of ADD.

But each teacher, properly informed and motivated, can make a tremendous difference in easing the path in school of any ADD child just by paying attention to the relationship.

Difficult as it is for the overworked teacher in the hubbub of the busy classroom, reaching out to the child each day, even for a brief moment, will go further than any number of sternly delivered instructions.

Quote:
5. Allow time for play and creative expression.

Quote:
It should be superfluous to point out the importance of play in childhood, except for a frightening trend in North American education to forget the value of play.

A New York Times article in 1998 reported that some new schools in the U.S. are being built without playgrounds, on the theory that recess and play are a waste of time that divert the students’ attention and energy from important learning tasks.(2)

“We are intent on improving academic performance,” the superintendent of schools in Atlanta, Georgia, told the Times.

“You don’t do that by having kids hanging on the monkey bars.”

This mind-set ignores decades of research in education and in developmental psychology.

Specifically in managing ADD, the problem is to introduce more play—more physically unstructured time, more freely flowing creative expression—into the classroom, not less...

-Gabor Mate M.D., “Scattered”, 1999. Chapter: “ADD In The Classroom”, p 217.

M
Old 02-28-18, 01:55 PM

Quote:
The PLAY urge is both robust and fragile.

It is fragile because a great number of environmental manipulation can reduce play—including all events that evoke negative emotional states such as anger, fear, pain, and separation distress; it is especially sensitive to species-typical fear stimuli such as the smell of predators for rats (see Panksepp, 1998a, Fig. 1.1; Siviy et al., 2006)

For instance, if a laboratory researcher has a pet cat at home, and he is not careful to change his clothes before going to work, he will have a difficult time studying the play of rats because the odor of cats intrinsically scares rats, and fearful rats simply do not play.

Likewise, rats are scared of well-lit open spaces; they play in safe burrows, away from the attention of predators.

In addition, hunger is a powerful inhibitor of play (Siviy & Panksepp, 1985), as area many bodily imbalances, including of course illness.

This is a general principal: Play only occurs when when one is safe, secure and feeling good, which makes play an exceptionally sensitive measure for all things bad.

PLAY, however, is also a robust system: If young animals are healthy and feeling good, they almost invariably play together when given the chance.
-Panksepp/Biven, “The Archaeology of Mind”. Chapter: “PLAYful Dreamlike Circuits of the Brain”, p 355.

M
userguide (03-01-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-18, 07:08 PM

Consistent alert attuned adult supervision is a constant necessity required to promote healthy development, for all children and young adults at work or play.

Quote:

Quote:
It was at Tolstoy Farm that Mr. Kallenbach drew my attention to a problem that had never before struck me.

As I have already said, some of the boys at the Farm were bad and unruly.

There were loafers, too, amongst them.

With these my three boys came in daily contact, as also did other, children of the same type as my own sons.

This troubled Mr. Kallenbach, but his attention was centred on the impropriety of keeping my boys with these unruly youngsters.
Quote:
One day he spoke out: “Your way of mixing your own boys with the bad ones does not appeal to me.

It can have only one result.

They will become demoralized through this bad company.”
Quote:
I do not remember whether the question puzzle me at the moment, but I recollect what I said to him:
Quote:
“How can I distinguish between my boys and the loafers?

I am equally responsible for both.

The youngsters have come because I invited them.

If I were to dismiss them with some money, they would immediately run off to Johannesburg and fall back into their old ways.

To tell you the truth, it is quite likely that they and their guardians believe that, by having come here, they have laid me under an obligation.

That they have to put up with a good deal of inconvenience here, you and I know very well.

But my duty is clear.

I must have them here, and therefore my boys also must needs live with them.

And surely you do not want me to teach my boys to feel from today that they are superior to other boys.

To put that sense of superiority into their heads would be to lead them astray.

This association with other boys will be good discipline for them.

They will, of their own accord, learn to discriminate between good and evil.

Why should we not believe that, if there is really anything good in them, it is bound to react on their companions?

However that may be, I cannot help keeping them here, and if that means some risk, we must run it.”
Quote:
Mr. Kallenbach shook his head.
Quote:
The result, I think, cannot be said to have been bad.

I do not consider my sons were any worse for the experiment.

On the contrary I can see that they gained something.

If there was the slightest trace of superiority in them, it was destroyed and they learnt to mix with all kinds of children.

They were tested and disciplined.
Quote:
This and similar experiments have shown me that, if good children are taught together with bad ones and thrown into their company, they will lose nothing, provided the experiment is conducted under the watchful care of their parents and guardians.
Quote:
Children wrapped up in cottonwool are not always proof against all temptation or contamination.

It is true, however, that when boys and girls of all kinds of upbringing are kept and taught together, the parents and the teachers are put to the severest test.

They have constantly to be on the alert.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi, “Gandhi, An Autobiography, The Story Of My Experiments With Truth”, Chapter: “Tares Among The Wheat”, p 340-341.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-02-18 at 07:24 PM..
Old 03-04-18, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Play as a neural exercise:
Insights from the Polyvagal Theory
Stephen W. Porges, PhD
Department of Psychiatry University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Quote:
..The process of play is about active inhibition of the neural circuit that promotes fight/flight behaviors.

Play functions as a neural exercise that improves the efficiency of the neural circuit that can instantaneously down regulate fight/flight behaviors.

If we translate this into the classroom, we can identify children with difficulties in down regulating the neural circuits that promote fight/flight behaviors.

These children have difficulties in sitting, in attending, in listening, and in socializing.

If we watch these same children on the playground, we might see deficits in their ability to play with others.

They may not accurately anticipate the behaviors of others and instead of a reciprocal interaction in which there is reciprocal inhibition of fight/flight behaviors, they may functionally be physically bouncing off their peers.
Quote:
When we are in neurophysiological states supporting mobilization and shutdown, our cognitive processes are greatly compromised.

However, we have a neural circuit that can rapidly down regulate mobilization behaviors to foster the calm states that optimize learning and social behavior.

Although play is frequently characterized by movement and often recruits many of the neural circuits involved in fight/flight behaviors, it may be operationally distinguished from defense, since it is easily down regulated by the social engagement system.

However, the effectiveness of the social engagement system to down regulate fight/flight behaviors requires practice.

This practice may start early in a child’s development through play..

http://cx-services.com/htx12/rrn16.p...df&p2=download

M
userguide (03-06-18)
Old 03-22-18, 12:37 AM

Quote:
(33:05) We need to assess all of the levels.

Not just one.

But that is what executive functioning people are doing.

They are assessing one level, in a multilevel system.

So, now let’s build that multilevel system based on 8 multilevel capacities.

As you grow up your frontal lobe expands forward.

As it expands, you are going to start to see an improvement in your mental faculties.

First of all, your going to be able to string together much more complex sets of behavior.

And further ahead in the brain you go the more complex the behavior becomes.

So there is a stretching of behavior into much more complex sequences.

Why is that?

Because you are trying to extend your behavior out over space.

As children grow up they start to involve themselves in things at a distance.

When they are very little, like when Liam [3 year old nephew] comes to my house, he is only concerned about my family room.

That is because that is where the toys are.

He is not thinking about up stairs, outside, the yard, the people next door, the cars on the street.

His mind is right here in this room.

But as he starts to grow up, Liam starts to think about what is happening at a distance, and whether anything I [Liam] can do might alter what is happening out there.

Believe me [Dr. Barkley], I monitor our community.

Liam does not.

I know what is going on outside that house.

I know what is going on in my community and in my country.

I read the papers.

I want to know.

Because we act at a distance.

He doesn’t.

Then you’re going to get this one, which I already talked about.

You’re going to start to act toward the future.

You’re going to get a time horizon.

Then your going to start to prefer the delayed consequences.

The older you get the more the delayed consequences that you prefer.

But this is another one.

You’re going to use more and more complex rules to guide your behavior.

Now your going to build up social networks.

Your going to start to make friends, you’re going to share, take turns, reciprocate.

Interact with people you trust.

Because by doing that you can accomplish things you can’t on your own, share, swap, take turns and so on.

This is the beginning of social skills.
-Dr. Barkley, “2012 Burnett Lecture Part 2, AD(H)D, Self-Regulation and Executive Function Theory”, (YouTube)

M
Old 03-22-18, 01:12 AM

Quote:
(17:28) All adult problem solving is founded on children痴 play.
-Dr. Barkley, 2012 Burnett Lecture Part 2, AD(H)D, Self-Regulation and Executive Function Theory, (YouTube)

M
Old 03-22-18, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Can PLAY Diminish ADHD and Facilitate the Construction of the Social Brain?

Quote:
Abstract

The diagnosis of attention deficit hyperactivity disorders (ADHD) has been increasing at an alarming rate, paralleled by the prescription of highly effective psychostimulants whose developmental effects on growing brains remain inadequately characterized.

One reason for the increasing incidence of ADHD may be the diminishing availability of opportunities for pre-school children to engage in natural self-generated social play.

Pre-clinical work indicates that play can facilitate behavioral inhibition in growing animals, while psychostimulants reduce playfulness.

The idea that intensive social play interventions, throughout early childhood, may alleviate ADHD symptoms remains to be evaluated.

As an alternative to the use of play-reducing psychostimulants, society could establish play 都anctuaries for at-risk children in order to facilitate frontal lobe maturation and the healthy development of pro-social minds.

Keywords: ADHD, play, social brain, growth factors, frontal lobes

Quote:
The human genome project revealed that humans have ~22,000 genes rather than ~100,000 as previous thought.

But even that larger number would have fallen short of containing enough information to organize a fully-developed social mind.

While our chromosomes contain enough information to construct the sophisticated brains babies possess at birth, our hereditary stores do not code for a full set of socialization skills.

What genes contribute to development of social brains are the raw 菟rimary-process emotional and cognitive tools whereby family and societal influences can readily build socially functional minds.

To exploit these genetic gifts to their fullest, we must create social environments for children that not only allow, but encourage them to satisfy their natural and joyful PLAY1 urges (Panksepp, 1998a, 2001).

Human socialization occurs when children痴 brain are allowed to learn and develop in culturally rich, mind-supporting environments, including those that support a variety of self-generated social activities encompassed by the concept of 渡atural play. ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2242642/

M