ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-03, 12:47 AM

tiggwin is on a distinguished road
tiggwin => Twin Cities, MN

Hi all -
I am a 39 year old male with ADD, Inattentive type. I was diagnosed around 1996 when I finally sought help after my boss told me she would not promote me. The job was all wrong for someone with ADD (multiple dealdlines every day with lots of detail and repetition).

I started on Wellbutrin then promptly left the company. Since then, I have gotten promoted a couple times in the same general field and have found a niche I really love (one where it's OK to lose yourself for hours only to come up for air at 5:00 and beyond.)

What do I love the most about having ADD? The passion I get for topics I find interesting and losing myself learning about them.

What do I find the most damaging? see question 1. My liquid sense of time and my challenges of prioritizing so that I to do the important stuff first then hit the "passion" topic of the month later.

My mom is an ADD text book case, but she is in total denial. I have a 3 year old daughter who shows signs of ADHD, but what 3 year old doesn't, right?...right? My wife and I are crossing our fingers.

I married a VERY organized and detail-oriented woman. I'd be a baket case without her. Man are we perfect examples of the "opposites attract" cliche.

I just thought of something typical, almost funny. I bought a book on ADD back when I was first diagnosed: YOU MEAN I'M NOT LAZY, STUPID OR CRAZY?! . I only made it half way through the thing. Of course, I have read 30 novels since then because I liked reading those.

I'll probably skim it to the end now that I made that ironic realization.

Anyway, I guess that's enough rambling for now.

Ciou

tiggwin

"Focus on remedies, not faults."
- Jack Nicklaus
Old 08-10-03, 11:28 AM
Contributor

why is on a distinguished road
Welcome! It's so great to have wives that are NOT add to keep us from going of the deep end is it? BTW have you read "Attention Defecit Disorder: A Different Perspective" by Thomm Hartmann? I read it from cover to cover, the only ADD book I managed to read like a normal person, all the others were very non-linear.
Old 08-10-03, 01:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Welcome to ADD Forums!!!!!
Old 08-11-03, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the welcome! I'm not saying my wife doesn't get frestrated, but at least she understands, and that really helps.

No I haven't read "Attention Defecit Disorder: A Different Perspective", but I'll look it up on Amazon. Sounds interesting. What's the "different perspective" the title refers to?

- Jack Nicklaus
Old 08-11-03, 09:45 AM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Re: tiggwin => Twin Cities, MN

Quote:
Originally posted by tiggwin

a niche I really love (one where it's OK to lose yourself for hours only to come up for air at 5:00 and beyond.)

What do I love the most about having ADD? The passion I get for topics I find interesting and losing myself learning about them.

What do I find the most damaging? see question 1. My liquid sense of time and my challenges of prioritizing so that I to do the important stuff first then hit the "passion" topic of the month later.

tiggwin
Hey Tiggwin: Welcome to the Forums. Reading your Introductions was an absolute delight....I appreciated your succinct way of describing how it is for you.......I have highlighed what I most related to.....ESPECIALLY the part about tending to the most important priorities first and saving the passions for later....(and "liquid" sense of time...).

Also finding a job where you can lose yourself for hours and come up for air at 5??? Well put...I'm glad the Wellbutrin has worked so well for you. As I've shared on other posts, I consider it a pretty great medication....Please keep posting here...you will get a lot of support...

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 08-11-03, 01:14 PM

Re: Re: tiggwin => Twin Cities, MN

Quote:
Originally posted by joanrdtobe

I'm glad the Wellbutrin has worked so well for you. As I've shared on other posts, I consider it a pretty great medication....
Thanks, Joanrdtobe. I wish I could say Wellbutrin has always worked well for me. The effect was always very subtle and I often thougt it was all in my head (sorry!), or rather a placebo effect. But whether it had a placebo effect or not, I was able to keep from getting overwhelmed when a lot of details hit me all at once.

My doctor thought that, since Wellbutrin seems to be doing omething, I should avoid the hassles of stimulants. So I stuck with it. (I plan to mention my Wellbutrin experience on the medication page). But the effects have lessened over the last couple years.

I have now swithched to Strattera with good, not-so-subtle results, and some side effects, most of which are subsiding. I've discussed some of that on the medication page...

I still wonder, of course, what success I'd have with stimulants, never having tried them yet. Grass is greener blah blah blah.

Bye for now.

- Jack Nicklaus
Old 08-11-03, 01:27 PM

Funny, because while I was in school I wanted some more and better "focus" so my doctor put me on Strattera in addition to the Wellbutrin...unforunately the Strattera did work well...BUT the side effects were too much for me...... (I was on it a whole month)...but I'm glad they're subsiding for you....

Based on what I've seen so far....BUT I think Strattera seems to be more tolerated by men than by women as far as side effects go....just what I've seen so don't quote me!

I too have never been on a stimulant...i.e. Concerta, Adderal, etc. either....(did Ritalin for a short time but did not respond).....and have often wondered the same thing....my doctor, the one I had while I was attending school, did not want to put me on a stimulant because he said "all it is -- is speed". Hmmmmm. So we did the strattera thing and then I graduated....and rest is history.....I never did get that sustained extra focus I was looking for....

Yes grass is greener....BUT it still has to be mowed blah blah blah.....

Continued good luck with Strattera. Bye for now. Incidentally, I'm obsessed with grammar, style in writing....I like yours

Old 08-11-03, 02:00 PM
Contributor

why is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by tiggwin
Thanks for the welcome! I'm not saying my wife doesn't get frestrated, but at least she understands, and that really helps.

No I haven't read "Attention Defecit Disorder: A Different Perspective", but I'll look it up on Amazon. Sounds interesting. What's the "different perspective" the title refers to?
It refers to the possibility that ADDers are the descendants of humans eveloved to be successfull hunters, whereas everyone else: farmers. I do like his theory, but it hasn't been wholeheartedly picked up by the mainstream scientific community - perhaps to hard to prove. Enjoy the book, short n breezy - written just for us .
Old 08-11-03, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joanrdtobe

Yes grass is greener....BUT it still has to be mowed
I almost said, "That would make a great bumbersticker!", but that would trivialize a pretty astute observation. Nice.

Regarding my writing style, thanks very much. Wordiness and bad grammar can blur the message (especially for those of us with no patience). I'll warn you--in future threads, you may need to put up with an occasional <gulp> semicolon.

- Jack Nicklaus
Old 08-11-03, 02:11 PM

That's okay....trivialize away....."The grass is greener, etc." would still make a great bumpersticker...

I will consider myself forewarned regarding (gulp) semicolons ;;;;;;;;;

"Wordiness and bad grammar can blur the message (especially for those of us with no patience). " Could that have been SAID any better??? I think not

Bye for now....