ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-03, 05:18 PM

LilSisw/Add is on a distinguished road
No, I'm not using it as an excuse. I now realize that it is a problem w/ a solution.

Hi, my name is Tina. I used that as a headline, because all my life I have been told not to use ADD as an excuse. I was diagnosed in the third grade. That was when they still believed you "grew out of it." I was put on Redilin for awhile, then unknowingly was put on sugar pills to see whether it was the actual meds, or the thought of meds that was making such a big difference. The doctors decided it was the thought of meds. The theory was I just needed to "try harder." Sound familiar? If I did try to say I thought I was having trouble with something, then I was told not to use it as an excuse.

Now, as there has been so much more research done, and made available to the public, I realize I have not been using it as an excuse, and if I had accepted it sooner, probly would have had a much easier life. But hey, ADDers have never been ones to do things the "easy way" have they. So as soon as I can get the money...I will be heading to the Dr. to see what we can do. If I DO need meds, or whatever.

As for my currunt life. I was supposed to start college this year (wait I think I said that 8 yrs ago when I graduated High School LOL). But this time was actually enrolled. But do to some bad luck (which is my specialty ) , I now have too many bills to go to college too. I am living with my parents (for the third time) trying desperatlely to get my life in order. Which isn't much fun considering my mom has ADD but won't do anything about it. Imagine two people with ADD living in one house with majorly different views ..ACCK Top that off with being unemployed...again (more of that bad luck I was talking about) and bills accumalting that I can't pay.

But luckily, unlike alot of ADDers I have heard about. I have a great support system through my friends. I have 6 very wonderful big "brothers" who have adopted me and kept me sane. One of which is making himself a pest at his job right this moment to try and get me a job where he works. (LOL he also just called and told me to get off my butt and go do the things that need doing...something about I got distracted again.....who me??? ) I tend to go on and on about how great my brothers, so uh.. your fair warned LOL.

My biggest hobby is Karaoke. And after a whole lot of encouraging I am even slowly coming out of my shell and getting up on stage. I even get a few compliments now and then....though I have no clue what to do with them. LOL

And my biggest problems are that I talk to much and try to take care of everyone before myself.

Thanks to alot of lectures from my big brothers though, I am finally getting my life in order, and look foward to being able to talk on a board that actually understands my senseless ramblings. And hopefully spare my brothers a lil of my rants and raves. (They are wonderfully patient..but even they can only take so much LMAO)

Well if there is anything else you would like to know...just ask. Nice meeting you.

Tina
Old 08-21-03, 05:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Welcome to ADD Forums Tina!!!!
Old 08-21-03, 05:59 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you belong here with the rest of us. Hope you enjoy your stay.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-03, 07:22 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Tina: Welcome to the forums....pretty name, Tina..........Karaoke....someone else on this post likes that too....just found out recently about it too....so you're a singer!!!

And good for that big brother who has the guts to tell you to go take care of business...sometimes those people can be the BEST people in our lives...althought it may not feel like it in the moment...

College will come at the right time for you....I'm sure....

Keep posting....you will get a lot of support

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 08-21-03, 09:19 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,064 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome, welcome, welcome!

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 08-21-03, 10:52 PM

well thank you very much everyone.

And Joan....trust me. That big brother (Todd is his name btw) is definitly the BEST thing for me. He keeps me focused on what I need to do while giving me encouragement all the way. He won't let me stay in a "shell" but at the same time has my back. LOL See? I warned ya about getting me on the subject of my brothers LMAO. I will go on and on about them all day.
Old 08-22-03, 11:00 AM
Forum Guru

smooch has disabled reputation
Welcome to the fam, Tina! You fit right in!
Old 08-22-03, 11:06 AM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by LilSisw/Add
well thank you very much everyone.

And Joan....trust me. That big brother (Todd is his name btw) is definitly the BEST thing for me. He keeps me focused on what I need to do while giving me encouragement all the way. He won't let me stay in a "shell" but at the same time has my back. LOL See? I warned ya about getting me on the subject of my brothers LMAO. I will go on and on about them all day.
Tina: Since this is the case....I MUST ask -- any chance there might be a romance in the future between you and this "Todd" guy? Or is it strictly friendship? Sorry if I've overstepped a boundary with such a personal question....I couldn't help but ask

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 08-22-03, 04:47 PM

Joan,

No boundries over stepped I assure you. In fact, there aren't many questions that anybody could ask that would offend me.

As for Todd being more than a friend. LOL Nope. He and five other guys that I am sure you will hear about are like Big brothers to me. We even introduce each other that way. Many people around here don't even realize we aren't biological siblings. But as I say....Blood is thicker than water, Love is thicker than blood.

Three of my "brothers" PJ, Billy, and Mike don't live around here. (Although I am excited cuz Mike is coming to visit at the end of the month). Jon is a truck driver so he is barely around. And then you have Todd and Dominick which are probly the two you hear about the most. All of them are fantastic, and I would go insane without them. If you have ever heard the song "Because you Loved Me" by Celine Dion you can kinda see how I feel about them.

And don't worry...I think at one time or another its been "rumored" that there was more than brother/sister between each and every one of them LMAO.

(yikes there I go again. LOL Somebody shut me up )

Tina
Old 08-22-03, 04:50 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
Nobody shuts nobody up around here... unless they've gone WAY off the deep end...
Old 08-23-03, 09:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Garry has disabled reputation
Welcome to the family Tina

and as Paul says "Nobody shuts nobody up around here... unless they've gone WAY off the deep end... " , that is why its like home to me here as I can actully be myself and feel good about it.

Welcome Home Girl

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined