ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-07, 06:32 PM

Futzbudget has disabled reputation
New, but not unique

Hi all,

I am a 54 year old Ontario woman, blown (sp?) away a year ago with a diagnosis of inattentive ADD. Have been coping marginally well all this time, without knowing what was wrong (but knowing something was!), and since the diagnosis, have been having a worse time than ever. I live in a small town (no support groups!), and feel very alone with this issue to deal with. Have been reading this forum for some time, and it helps, but would dearly love some kind of one-on-one contact with someone in a similar situation to mine who can relate to my situation. Anyone out there?
Old 07-26-07, 06:42 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Old 07-26-07, 08:47 PM

Thanks so much! (Where is Sunagokure??)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-07, 09:06 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futzbudget
Thanks so much! (Where is Sunagokure??)
Sunagakure is the Village Hidden in the Sand, in a magical world of anime known as Naruto I'm a huge fan. I am actually in SC, USA.
Old 07-26-07, 09:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
<OCD>
It literally means sand waterfall in one context and sand desert in another. In this context, it is sand waterfall.
Gaara is a fictional charachter. the word "no" is a connecting particle.

"Sabaku no Gaara" means Gaara of the sand waterfall.

The name Gaara is interesting because it seems like the particle "Ga" and the common particle "ara" stuck togther. It sort of means nothing at all.

Young japanese girls run around saying "ara ara ara" , because it is a girl kind of thing to do. I don't thin k it is in a dictionary anywhere.

The particle "Ga" is what I'd use when I did not understand something. If you say "waterfall" and I do not understand you, I might say "waterfall Ga?"
</OCD>

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 07-26-07, 09:59 PM

Considering that translation is not a literal thing Sabaku no Gaara becomes "Gaara of the Desert" or "Gaara of the Sand"...

Sabaku 砂瀑 sand waterfall
sabaku 砂漠 desert

in American English.

The name "Gaara" is made up of three Kanji, "Ga" (meaning I or me), "A" (more commonly "Ai" meaning love), and "Ra" (used here to mean a demon/enemy of the gods). Added together, they can mean "I only love myself. I'm a demon." This was the intention of his mother, who named him this in the hopes that he would turn against the village who caused her death and thus avenge her.

ask a fangirl...welcome to ADDF, Futzbudget, where anything and everything can become an off-topic discussion!

We actually have a new member who speaks Japanese, Speedo, old buddy...shall we defer to her?
Old 07-26-07, 10:22 PM

LOVE this forum! Where else could we all go off on tangents like this, and everyone "gets" it!?
Old 07-26-07, 10:23 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Good, I'm glad you found a meaning for it. Because I was otherwise stuck with the image of a teenage japanese girl saying "ara" over and over...

"Ga" is derived from the particle "Ka".

Onamewa nan deska? ends with ka. It is a question.
In that cse I asked "What is your name?".

Ga is stronger but is also used in a question. I've forgotten the grammar and I tossed my Japanese dictionary long ago so you will need wikipedia for the details.

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 07-26-07, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futzbudget
LOVE this forum! Where else could we all go off on tangents like this, and everyone "gets" it!?
Welcome home...be sure to check out my thread, Elephant Talk, where off-topic posting is the norm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Buddy Speedo
Because I was otherwise stuck with the image of a teenage japanese girl saying "ara" over and over...
If the Japanese teenagers are anything like the American ones, they are sighing "Ai...ai!" when it comes to Gaara...even I am not immune to his charms, as my signatures demonstrate.
Old 07-29-07, 05:24 AM
Jr Member

lyricsdreams is on a distinguished road
Futzbudget,
Hi, nice to meet you. Yep, I can relate.
I am 50 plus, just had a label put on my "specialness"
Having just taken a crash course in all things ADD, I am trying to get the meds figured out.
have found many good sites with information, some good explanations of what my world is like, an still am amazed how many others live here. and I can now explain to the few people around me who care, what it is , what it's like, and don't take it personally when I can't follow your long winded stories about???? I tune out pretty quick.
so - I like the creative side, really I do not know anyone with a more vivid and scattered imagination, maybe I will soon, though
Old 07-29-07, 05:36 AM

Quote:
I like the creative side, really I do not know anyone with a more vivid and scattered imagination, maybe I will soon, though
Stick around a while Lyricsdreams...we're here, believe it!
Old 07-29-07, 01:23 PM

Thanks for your response, lyricsdreams. It's a wild ride, isn't it? I also like the creative side (do we all have it??), but hate and resent the inability to put that creativity to practical use -- the best idea in the world is of no use if it stays just an idea (which it usually does for me...either that, or becomes a half finished project).

Maybe we should start a thread for ideas on how to counteract this? (Like -- no meds Monday, come up with lots of great ideas, write them down so we don't forget them, meds on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, to be able to put them into effect, none on Friday, etc...)
Old 07-30-07, 01:01 AM

Yo Soy is on a distinguished road
Welcome!! I'm new too
Old 07-31-07, 10:16 PM

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough
Hi Futzbuget,

I know where you are coming from I was there when I got a new diagnoses myself. I am a 48 soon to be 50 next year and just need someone to talk with that understands.

my name is Christine if youwant to chat.

A child's mind is like a shallow brook which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education and reflects here a flower, there a bush, yonder fleecy cloud... -Helen Keller

Old 08-01-07, 05:13 PM

Thanks, auntchris.

How have you handled it? Besides reading everything there is to read on the subject, which I've already done.

My husband is wonderful -- very accepting, and insists I've always been perfectly fine just the way I am. But he doesn't understand, so isn't all that helpful to talk with about it.