ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 12-09-18, 03:29 PM

Qwerty22! is on a distinguished road
Quillivant Tips?

I have a six year old son with ADHD who is taking Quillivant. We are trying to figure out how to make it work best for him. It worked well for 3 months and now are having trouble. Does anyone have experience with Quillivant and advice to offer?
For example:
-How often did you have to increase the dosage? What dosage finally worked?
-Was this long acting for you? Ours seems to wear off quickly.
- Did you need to add an afternoon booster? What worked?
-Did the dosage level off or did you finally have to switch to something else? If you did switch, what worked well for you?
-Did anyone use Quillivant or quillichew as a booster in the afternoon, so 2 doses a day?

Thanks
Old 12-10-18, 08:58 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of
Re: Quillivant Tips?

Wish i could help but I've never heard of Quillivant.
Old 12-10-18, 09:42 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
Wish i could help but I've never heard of Quillivant.
I think its a form of methylphenidate. OP is it an instant release or long acting med?

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-18, 01:09 PM

It is methylphenidate. It is extended release but seems to be short acting on my son.
Old 12-13-18, 02:12 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I just found this:

https://www.additudemag.com/dear-add...om-quillivant/

Quote:
Dear ADDitude: What Should I Expect From Quillivant?
additudemag.com/dear-additude-what-should-i-expect-from-quillivant/
Penny WilliamsMay 16, 2016
ADDitude Answers

When I look back at pictures of my son around age 5, heís crying in the majority of them, no matter the circumstances. He was diagnosed with ADHD shortly after turning 6. He was sad and crying all the time because he could never meet expectations, no matter how hard he tried.
He started medication a couple weeks after diagnosis and that began to turn things around.

Heís 13 now, and still a really emotional and sensitive kid, but he isnít crying at everything all the time and calling himself ďstupidĒ and ďbadĒ all the time.

ADHD medication was a gift for him.

Posted by Penny Williams (ADDconnect Moderator, Author on Parenting ADHD, and Mom to Pre-Teen Boy w/ ADHD and LDs)

A Reader Answers
The decision to medicate or not is a tough one and every parent does a lot of research before coming to a conclusion. I know I did!

Typically, medications started at a minimal dose and gradually increased based on how your child reacts. You will want to monitor how well the medication controls symptoms and watch out for side effects.

Many kids lose their appetites. Keep track of your childís eating, and plan to add shakes/smoothies/protein bars to supplement his diet. Try to get your son to eat a full, high-protein breakfast before his morning meds kick in. Plan for an evening snack after meds wear off in the evening. We used to put yogurt smoothies in his lunch thermos as our son was more likely to sip a drink than eat at that time.

The doctor will be monitoring the medicationís impact on your childís overall health. It can also help to ask teachers for feedback about ADHD symptoms and behavior while youíre trying to find the right dosage. When my son first started taking them at age 6, we saw major difference in his focus in the first week.

You also need to monitor how he is sleeping. If he canít sleep, you may need to lower the dose or timing. It is important to know that all kids are different and respond differently. If one medication does not work or has troublesome side effects, you can try another till you find the right fit. Donít compare doses to other children, that is very individual and based on part on rate of personís metabolism, not size or age.

There are many studies that show kids who are medicated for ADHD are less inclined to use illicit drugs later in life. Many people are under the impression that these drugs lead to illegal drug abuse. Itís actually is the opposite, kids who are properly medicated are less likely to self-medicate with other drugs.

Posted by Peacfldove

A Reader Answers
Quillivant dosage is controlled by the amount of powder added to water, so itís easy to change the dose. Donít be surprised if the first amount or two donít work. It will take some trial and error to get it right. Some people who donít respond well to Quillivant move on to another medication like Ritalin or Adderall. Finding the right medication and dosage is a really important time.

Make sure your doctor has told you how to evaluate its effectiveness. Let your childís teacher know what is going on so that he or she can help you judge if symptoms are improving. Explain to the principal that your child has ADHD, and you are actively working on managing symptoms, so he doesnít get in trouble for a medical condition. You may want to look into an IEP or 504 plan to help him in school.

Donít give your son any food or drinks with citric acid Ė like orange juice Ė before taking the medication. It makes them less effective.

Thereís a good chance that medication will help with your sonís depression, but what will also help is understanding more about ADHD and how the symptoms affect him. Depression and anxiety commonly co-occur with ADHD.

Posted by Sandman2

A Reader Answers
It shouldnít take more than one week for your son to adjust. Usually you would try a low dose for one week (20 mg for Quillivant) and then increase by 10 mg and see how he does for another week. The philosophy is low and slow. My son started with Quillivant, but didnít like the taste of the liquid. So we taught him to swallow pills using tic-tacs. We made a big deal about it, and ďgraduatedĒ him up to pills, as soon as he could. That will open up the options for you, if your son doesnít do well with Quillivant.

Posted by RhodeIslandMom

A Reader Answers
My 5 year old has been taking Quillivant XR for about a month. Weíve tried all the ADHD meds, like everyone else :-), and this is by far the best results weíve seen. The medicine kicked in after about 45 minutes. He was focused and participated in class. My sonís mood is even and his hyperactivity is controlled. It lasts him 10 hours and he still needs a booster of methelphinidate around 5pm to get us through the evening, and homework.

When the Quillivant wears off in the evening, he has a rebound of symptoms. Heís whiny and moody, not as even tempered after the booster. The Quillivant XR is great, though, after crushing pills and having to dose a 5 year old every 4 hours before, we are very happy with a liquid medication, now.

Posted by MobyMiller

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
RADDMom (04-07-19)
Old 12-17-18, 11:59 PM

Thank you.