ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 03-31-19, 02:29 AM

Jrr1983 is on a distinguished road
What is a thorough evaluation?

We have been wondering if my 11 yr old son might have add/ADHD and took him to a center that specializes in this. Prior to his visit we filled out a lengthy questionnaire as did his teacher. In the appointment we talked a bit about why we were there and went over the questionnaire and at one point my son went for a quick "computer game" which was some form of a test. In the end they looked at our questionnaires and said based on the teachers questionnaire we would probably say he has ADD but based on yours we can't diagnose him. They questions were in the form of...never, sometimes, always, and apparently we didn't answer always to enough of the questions. I left pretty frustrated and felt a little like I was the one responsible for diagnosing him. I'm wondering if this is typical of an evaluation or if I should look for another doctor? Does it really just boil down to me answering questions that if I knew the answer to, I could diagnose him myself!?!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jrr1983 For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-06-19)
Old 04-06-19, 07:09 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is a thorough evaluation?

Do you live in the usa? I would get another opinion. I had to go to three doctors until I found one that actually dealt with kids. My story about my son is A sticky in this section if you want to read about it.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-06-19)